What's new

Hot liquid and Kava Prep

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
So I understand that using hot liquid (water) to make kava using traditional prep typically produces a stronger grog.

Would using hot liquid in an AluBall for the first wash also produce a stronger shell than just cold/room temp......or does it not make a difference in the AluBall? I'm not talking scalding hot....you could still put your hand in it and not get burned.

verticity

I'm interested in things
You're not supposed to use hot water with the AluBall because it is not designed to be food safe with hot water...

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
You're not supposed to use hot water with the AluBall because it is not designed to be food safe with hot water...
Ooooooohhhhhh, apparently I missed that. I've been using hot water for my first wash and was curious if I could just use cold and still get the same strength beverage. I also hated waiting for it to cool down. No more hot water then, thanks.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Ooooooohhhhhh, apparently I missed that. I've been using hot water for my first wash and was curious if I could just use cold and still get the same strength beverage. I also hated waiting for it to cool down. No more hot water then, thanks.
You can use room temperature water, it doesn't have to be cold...

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah use warmish water to be in the middle. You can tell when cell walls are rupturing just looking at the kava. Much like tea or coffee there is a foam that is released or a white subtle like froth without the air pockets.

maelstrom

Kava Curious
According to Wikipedia:

The melting point of polypropylene occurs at a range, so a melting point is determined by finding the highest temperature of a differential scanning calorimetry chart. Perfectly isotactic PP has a melting point of 171 °C (340 °F). Commercial isotactic PP has a melting point that ranges from 160 to 166 °C (320 to 331 °F), depending on atactic material and crystallinity. Syndiotactic PP with a crystallinity of 30% has a melting point of 130 °C (266 °F).[3] Below 0 °C, PP becomes brittle.[4]:247

The thermal expansion of polypropylene is very large, but somewhat less than that of polyethylene.[4]
I think the main concern would be the Aluball leaking and causing injury with boiling water.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply's. I wasn't using boiling water....I was only bringing it up to a temp where you could still stick your hands in it without being burned.

Sounds like I don't even need to bring it up to that temp though, so good info, thanks again!

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Ask me what happens when you shake an aluball with hot water in a shaker bottle. Go ahead. Ask me.
Fun with Physics.

Last edited: