What's new

I Love Kava Friday How do you measure your kava?

How do you measure your kava powder?

• Metric based on a part of my body--e.g., a pinch, a handful, two fingers, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know, my spouse/gf/bf/kids/pet makes my kava for me and I don't know how they measure it

• HPLC/TCL/GC/MS or other laboratory method

• Total voters

verticity

I'm interested in things
Personally, I measure my kava powder using level measuring cups. I fail to understand why those who use "heaping" tablespoons do so. I'm not criticizing, just wondering why. Do you feel that if you use a "heaping" tablespoon you are somehow getting "more" than if you just used 2 level tablespoons? Did you tell yourself you were only going to have a certain amount, and the "heaping" is kind of a way of cheating on that deal you made with yourself? Be honest now. I'm not judging. Sometimes cheating is fun, and can be harmless if it is victimless. So are "heaping" tablespoons a victimless crime? I'm willing to go along with that if your conscience also can.

So, if I'm so uptight about accurate and honest measurement of kava powder, you might ask, why don't I use an accurate scale instead of measuring by volume--which as we know depends a lot on the grind, density etc of a given kava? Why don't I just STFU, you say? Well, I don't own a scale that is accurate to the gram; if I did I would use it. I'm planning to buy a good scale sometime, for what it's worth.

K

Kava Steve

haha for me it depends on what I'm making, micro I do level but powder I wouldn't say heaping but more like bubbled just because I'm straining with a Fijian strainer and want to get that little extra kick

verticity

I'm interested in things
haha for me it depends on what I'm making, micro I do level but powder I wouldn't say heaping but more like bubbled just because I'm straining with a Fijian strainer and want to get that little extra kick
"bubbled"? you mean like a little convex bubble on top? I guess that's OK. :smuggrin:

verticity

I'm interested in things
another to add is who packs the spoons vs just light scoop.... I packed once, never again, the potency caught me off guard
Yes, that's very true, with packing you can basically double the mass in a tablespoon. That is a form of "cheating" I must admit I have been guilty of at times. :shameshame:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I just use the most I can get on a tablespoon lol. Honestly Ive learned intuition can do me better with tea/table spoons than scales can. Scales are accurate but don't give me an intuitive touch. I realized it with K@. I prefer to just look at it and feel yes in myself than to say okay here's 3g here's 7gram and that should give me this exactly Cuz it doesn't work for me.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Level tablespoons, depending on the strength of the cultivar. For some I use a level quarter-cup, which is 4 tablespoons. I find for GHK's varieties, 2 tablespoons is good, and then I usually do another wash with one tablespoon about an hour later...

D

Deleted User01

I do levels. I level tablespoon is for Micro or Instant and 1 level cup makes a a bunch of Grog and I will pontificate more on this later today when I .....

verticity

I'm interested in things
Level tablespoons, depending on the strength of the cultivar. For some I use a level quarter-cup, which is 4 tablespoons. I find for GHK's varieties, 2 tablespoons is good, and then I usually do another wash with one tablespoon about an hour later...
You're my kind of guy. :)

exit stage left
I use an 1/8 of a cup measure per wash, and don't quite fill it full. 2 of those is usually good for a night, depending on the kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
i usually use the little 2 tbsp mini-cup that comes with a pepto-bismol bottle...the line for 2 tbsp is a bit lower that the top of the cup...i don't abide by it, so i suppose that would be equivalent to 'heaping'. so i obviously i chose insufflation in the poll.

verticity

I'm interested in things
i usually use the little 2 tbsp mini-cup that comes with a pepto-bismol bottle...the line for 2 tbsp is a bit lower that the top of the cup...i don't abide by it, so i suppose that would be equivalent to 'heaping'. so i obviously i chose insufflation in the poll.
That's an interesting case. I think according to sharia law, if you're level with the top of the Pepto cup you're OK, regardless of the lines on the cup.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I was thinking about this yesterday when I got my kava in the mail. It really settles furring shipment so it feels very dense.

Anyway- I use measured spoons, because a "heaping" is not a measurement. I would like to use a scale.