What's new

How legal is kava in Canada?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Ive been told by various agencies in fiji that kava is banned in canada yet i see people getting orders through. I checked with border control of canada which advised that personal imports are allowed. Is there some sort of special packaging or labeling required when shipping to canada using usps or fedex?
Will 1 pound shipments easily get through?

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
From what I understand you just can't sell it here but you can Import it, I don't think it's true because I bought kava pills at s health food store years ago so if there was a ban it's lifted

exit stage left
I live in Ontario and have bought kava from US vendors without any problems. As far as I know from looking at the envelopes, no special packaging or labeling is required. It's not banned in Canada for personal consumption. I've never ordered more than a pound at a time.

EDIT: Like nickbroken, I've bought kava from health food stores in Canada as well. It was a tincture though, and was absolute crap. It used to be banned, for 10 years or so I think, but the ban was lifted in 2012.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I'm in a shitter town called Cardston, but I lived in Calgary while I bought the kava from the store, also had ordered from GHK a few times like 2-4 pounds. Didn't have any issues.

I have seen the pills locally, I guess there is a Canadian vendor. Kavaroots or something but he can't ship to people in Canada as he is based in Canada.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I also have a Pound of GHK boroguru and BKH borogu on the way. Also looking at ordering a pound of sqaunch today or tomorrow it will get through I'm sure.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Its surprising how GHK is able to ship 1 pound of kava to canada for just 6 bucks. He must have some really good deal with USPS. For me the cheapest option comes down to 17 bucks for delivery to toronto city

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Its surprising how GHK is able to ship 1 pound of kava to canada for just 6 bucks. He must have some really good deal with USPS. For me the cheapest option comes down to 17 bucks for delivery to toronto city
Honestly it's why I mostly order GHK, because with shipping it comes out cheaper than other places, but I decided to branch out and try others. BKH charges 24 dollars not sure how much that covers I think a few pounds at least.

exit stage left
Kalm With Kava has products on Amazon.ca and they used to have some products covered under Prime every so often, but there aren't any offered under Prime right now. I have a Prime membership so I can get it with free shipping when it's offered.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Ive been told by various agencies in fiji that kava is banned in canada yet i see people getting orders through. I checked with border control of canada which advised that personal imports are allowed. Is there some sort of special packaging or labeling required when shipping to canada using usps or fedex?
Will 1 pound shipments easily get through?
Yes, you have to label it "beaver tails"

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I'm in Vancouver and I've yet to source out a shop that sells powdered root.. Last I checked powdered kava was not allowed to be sold within Canada but as stated above, personal use no problem.
A good shipping price among vendors here is around $15USD to the great north. It's how you know us Canadians love our root, between shipping and the exchange rate things add up. So $17 isn't far off the norm.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Is there some sort of special packaging or labeling required when shipping to canada using usps or fedex?
Squanch labelled his as "pepper tea" :happy:
I guess that's not far from the truth. Labelling it as kava should be fine. Can always send me some and see what happens ;)

Gttxc

I'm from vancouver too and have ordered it a few times. From bkh nakamal@home and most recently ghk. It has to be legal here! I first discovered kava at a grocery store called "superstore." This is no health food store, it's a very large chain. My room mate also works with a guy who claims to buy ground root locally, in a more ethnic inclined area of town. Never followed up on it though.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I'm from vancouver too and have ordered it a few times. From bkh nakamal@home and most recently ghk. It has to be legal here! I first discovered kava at a grocery store called "superstore." This is no health food store, it's a very large chain. My room mate also works with a guy who claims to buy ground root locally, in a more ethnic inclined area of town. Never followed up on it though.
Wow really? It seems like there is a lack of regulation to follow up on canadian legislations. I swear ive read at so many places that kava is banned on a commercial level in canada!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I think the reason he can ship to canada for $6 is that hes already factored base domestic shipping costs into his prices. We in the USA get our GHK shipped free ;) . His prices are almost identical to most leading vendors when you consider what you save from free shipping