What's new

Kava FAQ How strong Kava can make you feel?

Jerome

Kava Lover
I don't think it replaces alcohol in the sense that you will get the same effect from alcohol as you will get from kava. It replaces alcohol in that people trying to stop or cut back on booze find it relaxing and pleasant, enough so to not feel the need to self medicate using the more conventional method of booze (at least for many of us).

It is definitely different than alcohol, much more subtle, much more pleasant in my opinion. If I sit down and drink a glass of four or five ounces of 80-100 proof liquor, I notice a strong ethanol effect which is predictable, expected, reliable and potent. My problem is I also enjoy following up the moderately consumed 5 ounces with another half dozen glasses more.

Now you can get some kavas that make it difficult to walk in a straight line but most of them affect your mood in a hypnotic sense. The Mo'i kava for me puts me in another world, BUT only as long as I can be allowed to drift off into that world. If someone talks to me, or if I need to drive or work, or any concentration is required, I pop out of that hypnotic state. Kava works great, for me, when the weather is warm, and I'm quietly watching the sun set over the water.

It is very subtle, and often times so subtle its effects can be overlooked perhaps out of unrealistic expectations or due to an individuals inability to sit in silence. Its not really a social beverage unless the whole crowd is drinking kava and in the same frame of mind (i.e. a traditional kava party or ceremony). When people are doing tequila shots and listening to loud music, kava doesn't do much for me!

That being said, the emptiness of the stomach is very important. I usually go for at least five hours with no food of any sort (no calories from liquid or solid sources).

I also doubt reverse tolerance. I remember clearly the first time I tried kava nearly twenty years ago. I was surprised at how the corners of my mouth turned up and all was well with the world. I also remember my first experience with liquor (and I was far too young), I got stupid, my face was numb, and I spilled my lunch all over myself.

You can use it in place of alcohol, but it won't replace alcohol, they're different animals.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I don't think it replaces alcohol in the sense that you will get the same effect from alcohol as you will get from kava. It replaces alcohol in that people trying to stop or cut back on booze find it relaxing and pleasant, enough so to not feel the need to self medicate using the more conventional method of booze (at least for many of us).

It is definitely different than alcohol, much more subtle, much more pleasant in my opinion. If I sit down and drink a glass of four or five ounces of 80-100 proof liquor, I notice a strong ethanol effect which is predictable, expected, reliable and potent. My problem is I also enjoy following up the moderately consumed 5 ounces with another half dozen glasses more.

Now you can get some kavas that make it difficult to walk in a straight line but most of them affect your mood in a hypnotic sense. The Mo'i kava for me puts me in another world, BUT only as long as I can be allowed to drift off into that world. If someone talks to me, or if I need to drive or work, or any concentration is required, I pop out of that hypnotic state. Kava works great, for me, when the weather is warm, and I'm quietly watching the sun set over the water.

It is very subtle, and often times so subtle its effects can be overlooked perhaps out of unrealistic expectations or due to an individuals inability to sit in silence. Its not really a social beverage unless the whole crowd is drinking kava and in the same frame of mind (i.e. a traditional kava party or ceremony). When people are doing tequila shots and listening to loud music, kava doesn't do much for me!

That being said, the emptiness of the stomach is very important. I usually go for at least five hours with no food of any sort (no calories from liquid or solid sources).

I also doubt reverse tolerance. I remember clearly the first time I tried kava nearly twenty years ago. I was surprised at how the corners of my mouth turned up and all was well with the world. I also remember my first experience with liquor (and I was far too young), I got stupid, my face was numb, and I spilled my lunch all over myself.

You can use it in place of alcohol, but it won't replace alcohol, they're different animals.
Oh man, I already hate being around half drunk people while sober, with their loud music, loud laughing, loud loudness. If I was on kava while everyone else was on alchohol i'd be all like:

You bastards! Your harshing my mellow with your abrasive bad vibrations of death!

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast

This is 100% spot on. Excellent answer @Jerome, I couldn't agree more. Kava is a great alcohol replacement for me because it is better than alcohol, not similar. Don't go into this expecting to have a similar experience to alcohol, you'll be let down. Approach Kava knowing that you are trying something new and keep an open mind. Brew a strong batch, pick a calm and quite environment and after a few shells just feel what your body is telling you. I bet you'll find yourself with a goofy grin on your face and not a care in the world. Kava is amazing but only if you experience it for what it is. Dont expect it to be like alcohol or any other substances and don't expect it to fix any problems. It works great for anxiety, but not because it fixes anxiety, it simply allows your mind to clear so that you can work on your issues via self reflection, meditation, etc... without the minds ramblings getting in the way.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I just used a strobe light, as authentic dreamachines are pretty expensive. The cevs are very intense, and change when you adjust the FPS.

BillB

Kava Curious
I just used a strobe light, as authentic dreamachines are pretty expensive. The cevs are very intense, and change when you adjust the FPS.
Interesting. It's always fun exploring the mind. Im a little sketched out because of the whole seizure thing but I think I'll try it anyways.

Thank you so much, I heard the same thing, they feel similar but different, I have experienced the real effects of kava for once so far, felt like I was in the paradise while listening to the music. That's why ppl would not be sticky to alcohol again after tried Kava. I drank alcohol for less than 10 times in my life, can't really compare lol

Oh man, I already hate being around half drunk people while sober, with their loud music, loud laughing, loud loudness. If I was on kava while everyone else was on alchohol i'd be all like:

You bastards! Your harshing my mellow with your abrasive bad vibrations of death!
Your replies are always the funniest...

This is 100% spot on. Excellent answer @Jerome, I couldn't agree more. Kava is a great alcohol replacement for me because it is better than alcohol, not similar. Don't go into this expecting to have a similar experience to alcohol, you'll be let down. Approach Kava knowing that you are trying something new and keep an open mind. Brew a strong batch, pick a calm and quite environment and after a few shells just feel what your body is telling you. I bet you'll find yourself with a goofy grin on your face and not a care in the world. Kava is amazing but only if you experience it for what it is. Dont expect it to be like alcohol or any other substances and don't expect it to fix any problems. It works great for anxiety, but not because it fixes anxiety, it simply allows your mind to clear so that you can work on your issues via self reflection, meditation, etc... without the minds ramblings getting in the way.
Thank you, just need to make sure it feels definitely more enjoyable than alcohol, that is the most important answer I need here.

Thanks for everyone that replied on my post, really helped! Just being very busy recently.. I will definitely improve the preparation and hopefully will experience the real effects next time. Will keep updating here so it might be helpful for ppl that new to Kava.

You BOTH have been drinking everyday for 2 and a half weeks? And both of you have practically no effect.

People use Kava as a alcohol replacement because it works.
If you are doubting Kava then you haven't experienced Kava.

"Btw our dose is 6 table spoons per person with 4 cups of warm water" -- This is unclear.
So is this 6 tablespoons per person with 2 cups warm water per person ---- This will be my assumption.
or 4 cups per person.
You use 12 tablespoons for 4 cups or 8 cups?

To me tablespoons are an unreliable tool as Volume doesn't account for density.

"I could feel being light and floating especially after drinking Pouni Ono"
Pouni Ono is more dense than Borogu and I believe Borongoru
6 tablespoons Pouni Ono is a lot more Kava than 6 tablespoons Borogu and that is why you had the most effect. Simply amount not RT. I don't believe my assumption is correct. Here is why:

I did a test for you. I have a 27.30 gram container up top. I just count it as 1 oz.
1 Tbls Borogu = 32.11 - 27.30 = 4.81 grams. 1 Tblp Borogu is approx. 5 grams.
1Tbls Pouni ono = 36.25 - 27.30 = 8.95 grams. 1 Tbls Pouni Ono is approx. 9 grams
Keep this in mind.

My assumption has been bunked.
The sample pack comes with 4 oz of each.
12 tablespoons would have been the whole bag.
Did you use the whole Pouni ono bag in one session?
If you didn't: 6 Tablespoons per person is a misprint.

I truely think you are consuming Kava poorly and need to give more information.

I have not failed yet on getting somebody feeling Kava there first try. Preparation is very important.
I don't doubt the existence of RT but I do after over 2 weeks.

View attachment 5136 View attachment 5137
Thanks a lot, Kava expert!!! I just did as you said, i made super strong kava with 11 year waka from bulakava house then chugged it. It actually hit both of us very hard instantly! All the amazing heady feelings are way way better than being drunk by alcohol. Now we can enjoy kava both physically and mentally!!