What's new

Kava Preparation How to desinfect Kava?

Pauli

Kava Curious
How to make sure, there are no bacteria or fungi in kava? Do you recommend adding vinegar? or special honey?

thanks

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
How to make sure, there are no bacteria or fungi in kava? Do you recommend adding vinegar? or special honey?

thanks
the best way is to keep it dry. As long as it is below 12% moisture, the natural anti-microbial/bacterial/mycotic etc properties in kava keep it safe, but above 12% and mold can grow. So, best to keep it dry, store it in a cool dark place away from heat and light and oxygen. A dark glass jar in a pantry is best.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I think the fundamentals as been said by Krunkie McKrunkface. But you tell something that I find interesting. Non pasterized honey act as a heavy antiseptic and an anti-mold agent.
If you think your kava is contaminated in some way, you should just throw it in the garbage can. However, if the purpose is a measure of safety, honey would be an interesting way.

I personally like the flavor of the kava so I would not be prone to mix my dry root with honey but I don't see why it would hurt the kava...

Honey and Mold Growth
http://ezinearticles.com/?Honey-and-Mold-Growth&id=627811

Topical Application of Honey on Surgical Wounds: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26977860

Last edited:

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
If you're receiving your packages of kava where the powder is moldy, you'll obviously want to get a hold of your merchant and explain the situation!

If you're trying to make sure your kava keeps as long as possible, you can't go wrong storing your kava like you would your rice or beans. A cool dry place within a properly-sealed container.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

thanks
I would only add vinegar if I wanted to make it taste amazing. In fact, if you just use vinegar instead of water for the prep and then add a bunch of baking soda just before drinking, it would make it even more interesting. :yuck:
Just kidding.
I don't disinfect kava. If I really thought it was bad, I'd throw it out. If I just think it tastes weird and I'm being paranoid, I drink it and hope for the best (maybe not the best approach, but it takes a little while to get to know the different flavors that kava from different regions can have).

verticity

I'm interested in things
Reputable vendors do test for bacteria and mycotoxins (toxins from mold or fungus). It is generally safe and you don't need to do anything to disinfect it. But if do you encounter kava that is moldy, damp, or smells extra funky, don't drink it. Adding disinfectant won't help: it might kill some of the bacteria, but won't remove the toxins produced by bacteria or mold. Report the situation to the vendor.
It's true that kava has some natural anti-fungal activity, but that does not mean that it can't get moldy. There have also been rare cases where toxic bacteria have been detected by govt inspectors in kava, so that can happen, just as with any other natural plant product. So if you are concerned at all, ask your vendor about what tests they do for microbials and mycotoxins, and be sure to purchase from vendors who do that regularly...

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Reputable vendors do test for bacteria and mycotoxins (toxins from mold of fungus). It is generally safe and you don't need to do anything to disinfect it. But if do you encounter kava that is moldy, damp, or smells extra funky, don't drink it. Adding disinfectant won't help: it might kill some of the bacteria, but won't remove the toxins produced by bacteria or mold. Report the situation to the vendor.
It's true that kava has some natural anti-fungal activity, but that does not mean that it's can't get moldy. There have also been rare cases where toxic bacteria have been detected by govt inspectors in kava, so that can happen, just as with any other natural plant product. So if you are concerned at all, ask your vendor about what tests they do for microbials and mycotoxins, and be sure to purchase from vendors who do that regularly...
Absolutely, and that point was especially important to be made: once the kava is compromised, you can't fix it, safety says you chuck it, but if it is the vendor's fault I would send it back and ask for a refund and I can't imagine not getting at least a viable replacement. A well kept secret is that most all vendors, even some that appear not so wonderful, are still going to try to keep you as a customer and keep you happy and so will treat you fairly and decently. Usually. It's in their best interest.