What's new

How to powder lateral roots at home

LabRat

Kava Curious
Hi all , I can only speak for myself, when I get a kg of medium grind Kava, I dry sift it and remove as much of the root pieces as possible, I'm sure that this is common practice for some,so I'm searching for advice on how to powder the root pieces, any particular grinder/blender, that any one has had significant success with? Any particular methods/technique,that eases the process,as I've tried spice grinders,and normal average blenders, with limited success,has anyone tried a coffee burr grinder? I've been looking into possibly a grain grinder that's seemingly very adjustable,, I'm thinking that if I can get the little root pieces ground to powder, that I should have some excellent quality Kava,and knowing that it's all lateral roots for sure,if this question has been proposed in another thread forgive me as I searched before starting this one,any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks be blessed I'm quite sure there's a wealth of knowledge here so again thanks for any and all input

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi all , I can only speak for myself, when I get a kg of medium grind Kava, I dry sift it and remove as much of the root pieces as possible, I'm sure that this is common practice for some,so I'm searching for advice on how to powder the root pieces, any particular grinder/blender, that any one has had significant success with? Any particular methods/technique,that eases the process,as I've tried spice grinders,and normal average blenders, with limited success,has anyone tried a coffee burr grinder? I've been looking into possibly a grain grinder that's seemingly very adjustable,, I'm thinking that if I can get the little root pieces ground to powder, that I should have some excellent quality Kava,and knowing that it's all lateral roots for sure,if this question has been proposed in another thread forgive me as I searched before starting this one,any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks be blessed I'm quite sure there's a wealth of knowledge here so again thanks for any and all input
Mortar and pestle? After a run through the burr?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
my understanding is that the grind already got the good stuff and theres nothing much in those chunks, they're mostly the hard center part of the root, almost no kavalactones, and not something you want much of in your stomach. I fear grinding it might just put unwanted stuff in you stomach for no benefit.

My general impression of medium grind, as with trad prep, is there is nothing "wrong" with it that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

LabRat

Kava Curious
Thanks for the input guys, I've considered the morter and pestle,and I have yet to try the burr grinder,as I only have one@ the moment and I roast my own coffee beans and put it to daily use, and to be honest I haven't considered that the the small root pieces as simply left in the Kava for weight and from experience they definitely seem harder and more fiberous very good points to consider, I of course use an Aluball kava maker more times than traditional prep, I'm just trying to make best and most through use of my resources, but again thanks,for bringing out some very valid points

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Soak the chunks in water for 30 mins and then blend for a min or 2. After that strain it and have a session. You can keep the chunks and use portions of it every time you need it. It still contains valuable lactones, just wasnt grinded down when processed.

LabRat

Kava Curious
Thanks for your input Kavatime, you affirmed my thoughts,and I do what you recommended already,so I know that there's wisdom in your advice, I mostly use the Aluball,as I drink alone most times, I know sad but true, that's my motive to go through the effort to grind down the root pieces as generally a fair percentage in quite a few medium grind Kavas, and again I'm pretty sure that most Kavas are a blend of crown and lateral roots,so I'm thinking that if successful I would definitely have some top shelf Waka as I said I appreciate any advice that you have to offer again thanks

LabRat

Kava Curious
Hi All I've been pondering and researching,and I appreciate all the information,and patience, I read Kavatime's blog on his website and have gained some more understanding, from the article "everything you want to know about micronized Kava" so again thanks, be blessed GBU

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
I think i know what you are trying to do. After a google search, and then a search on these forums i ended up on your thread. I think i might be thinking the same thing as you.

I recently had one of my strongest kava experiences yet. I have been trying different experiments to figure out the most efficient way to extract kavalactones, being new to kava. I have an aluball and the kavafied starter strainer.
One of my first thoughts, which i made a post on, was that while steeping in water does not actually extract KL, perhaps steeping before kneading or aluball would increase efficiency.
So, i steeped 2 tbsp in my aluball about 10 hours in the fridge. Then i shook it 4 minutes, drank the resulting 400ml.
About 15 minutes later i decided it was not stronger than my usual unsteeped 2tbsp in my aluball. So i wanted to do another run with fresh root. At this time i was at the bottom of my bag of lao waka, i poured the rest into my aluball.
Here's where i believe it gets interesting. There was alot of powder at the bottom of the bag that ended up in my aluball. I believe that fine powder might have gotten through the aluball perforations or that the finer grind allowed easier efficiency. Because after that second drink... i was on my way to krunk!
Was my steeped 2tbsp actually just then kicking in? Personally, i don't think so, but i am newish still.
I theorize that there is benefit to grinding down kava. My research indicated that most people agree that the 'maka' or whatever part of the root isn't fun to ingest. The woody part. I know there's a whole etymology conversation but i feel for now since I'm not a plant scientist i can refer to the central part of the root you be avoided as maka, and the outer branches as waka. Hence, i was drinking lao waka, and had no problems?

I too am going to try a mortar and pestle. Though i admit the comments here that you've tried coffee and herb grinders but didn't get what you wanted are a but dismaying. I do feel it's a worthy experiment to take waka only medium grind, grind it further to contain more powdered bits that get fully ingested or more readily extracted, and compare the experience.

Being that you posted this in August what info have you gleaned now?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have never tried grinding them. I don't usually find too many but when I do I consider them a little golden nugget and pop them in my mouth and chew away while making my grog. After it starts to turn to a pulpy mess I spit it out. Nice way to start a session.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have never tried grinding them. I don't usually find too many but when I do I consider them a little golden nugget and pop them in my mouth and chew away while making my grog. After it starts to turn to a pulpy mess I spit it out. Nice way to start a session.
that's what I do with the waka roots from Kava Kauai, just chew 'em up until the thin dark outer part are gone, then chew the centre makas a little then throw it out and get another one. At least from chewing, I get a lot from the outer part and almost nothing from the inner hard part, the makas.