What's new

Hubby wants to start drinking kava! Question..

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
He felt dizzy a little. He is a very panicky person. Sadly, I feel that he just won't give up beer. RT can be a real bummer! He will never get to understand this wonderful root in place of his hops because he won't give it enough time. Hey, it's improved my entire well being and he sees that to the fullest. He uses beer, though. :/
Ah! It's not a good fit for everyone it seems. I haven't been able to convert everyone I've introduced kava to. :(

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
He felt dizzy a little. He is a very panicky person. Sadly, I feel that he just won't give up beer. RT can be a real bummer! He will never get to understand this wonderful root in place of his hops because he won't give it enough time. Hey, it's improved my entire well being and he sees that to the fullest. He uses beer, though. :/
You need to give him the heaviest kava you got and prepare it strong. I used to drink heavily and occasionally use benzos to mitigate stress and relax. There is no way I would have reduced my alcohol consumption over the years if I did not have access to so many potent kava products in the past. If I were to try kava for the first time, today, I would only be interested in the strongest products available.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
You need to give him the heaviest kava you got and prepare it strong. I used to drink heavily and occasionally use benzos to mitigate stress and relax. There is no way I would have reduced my alcohol consumption over the years if I did not have access to so many potent kava products in the past. If I were to try kava for the first time, today, I would only be interested in the strongest products available.
What are a few of the strongest that you would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Do you think Vinaka's Waka is a good one? He reufese benzos too. He refuses all meds except daily beer. Weekdays, maybe 1-2 beers. Weekends, probably 3-4 strong IPAs per day. So, I don't feel this is much if he could get used to sipping kava all day or having a "session" of strong kava. He is so set in his ways. I really wish he would see what this root does and why so many have swtiched to kava daily. I told him that he could still have his beers on the weekends. It doesn't mean he can't ever have beer but I just need to make something that won't make him dizzy. Kavafied's Supreme is the first one I gave him. He said he felt dizzy after a few diluted sips. I feel like he it wasn't the kava. Maybe a waka would be good... :(

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
What are a few of the strongest that you would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supreme mixed with Nangol or Stone. Alcohol is relaxing, sedating and gives a distinct mood uplift. I don't feel like kava is a direct replacement unless it does all of those things and it has become more and more difficult to get all of that from a single kava session lately.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Tell him he can't give up after his first time. It won't be perfect first time but it will get better. It took me a long time to switch completely from alcohol to kava and now I can choose between the two. He doesn't have to give up the beer completely, just get away from it a bit.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Do you think Vinaka's Waka is a good one? He reufese benzos too. He refuses all meds except daily beer. Weekdays, maybe 1-2 beers. Weekends, probably 3-4 strong IPAs per day. So, I don't feel this is much if he could get used to sipping kava all day or having a "session" of strong kava. He is so set in his ways. I really wish he would see what this root does and why so many have swtiched to kava daily. I told him that he could still have his beers on the weekends. It doesn't mean he can't ever have beer but I just need to make something that won't make him dizzy. Kavafied's Supreme is the first one I gave him. He said he felt dizzy after a few diluted sips. I feel like he it wasn't the kava. Maybe a waka would be good... :(
Well 1-2 beers isn't really a lot. Does he always drink at a certain time like in the evenings after work or before sleep? If he isn't actively looking for an alternative to the beer, it may take him a while to want to switch to kava. When I decided to take an extended break from alcohol, it was after a couple years of drinking kava on and off so my comfort level with kava was very high. I would really recommend against benzos as an alternative. I've personally found them to be the most difficult substance to break away from. I don't hate them and think they have a valuable role treating some medical issues but daily use is playing with fire if there is any other alternative.

Kava Supreme is good but most batches aren't real strong on the mood uplift. The Vinaka waka might be a good second try. My recommendations would be a mix of Nangol and Supreme or Stone. Stone is, to me, the most complete kava available right now. It doesn't have the knock out potency that it used to have but it's a solid combination of mood lift and relaxation.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Well 1-2 beers isn't really a lot. Does he always drink at a certain time like in the evenings after work or before sleep? If he isn't actively looking for an alternative to the beer, it may take him a while to want to switch to kava. When I decided to take an extended break from alcohol, it was after a couple years of drinking kava on and off so my comfort level with kava was very high. I would really recommend against benzos as an alternative. I've personally found them to be the most difficult substance to break away from. I don't hate them and think they have a valuable role treating some medical issues but daily use is playing with fire if there is any other alternative.

Kava Supreme is good but most batches aren't real strong on the mood uplift. The Vinaka waka might be a good second try. My recommendations would be a mix of Nangol and Supreme or Stone. Stone is, to me, the most complete kava available right now. It doesn't have the knock out potency that it used to have but it's a solid combination of mood lift and relaxation.
Thanks! I have Stone in my cupbaord. When he is receptive, I'll give this a try. I agree with benzos, which is why I am glad that he won't take them. I have to take Klonopin, daily, but kava helps a ton in any tolerance withdrawal. For him, no need to start and he hates drugs of any kind. Other than alcohol, he steers clear.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
I dropped about 40 lbs in 4-5 monthes by ditching the booze and sticking to kava. Much better! I hope it works out for him.