What's new

I found a kava Mutation.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I was out looking at some of my kava and I noticed on my Papa Kea, a short internode green kava, that there was a dark purple colored stalk coming out from the center of the Papa Kea.
I took a good look at it and sure enough it is a somatic mutation, I hope that the mutation holds and even more I hope that it turns into a variety that we do not have, a new 'Awa.
I took some pictures, it seems like the mutation will be purple with medium to long internodes but it is still to early to see what it will look like mature.
Enjoy the pictures.
Aloha.

Chris
DSC_4504 (2).jpg
DSC_4514 (2).jpg
DSC_4516 (2).jpg

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'd suggest a Hawai'ian name. Since it's coming from the Papa family, which is typically named after colors, I would call it Papa Poni ("poni" means "purple").

Anyway, that's awesome Chris. I hope it will continue to grow! Aloha!
I totally concede my suggestion. That's a great one. Of course if this actually turns out to be a new morphotype Mr. Allen will have the final say. Seriously, having the responsibility of naming a new kava is probably the highest honor I can conceive of.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I was out looking at some of my kava and I noticed on my Papa Kea, a short internode green kava, that there was a dark purple colored stalk coming out from the center of the Papa Kea.
I took a good look at it and sure enough it is a somatic mutation, I hope that the mutation holds and even more I hope that it turns into a variety that we do not have, a new 'Awa.
I took some pictures, it seems like the mutation will be purple with medium to long internodes but it is still to early to see what it will look like mature.
Enjoy the pictures.
Aloha.

Chris
View attachment 12008 View attachment 12009 View attachment 12010
A very wonderful sight indeed! Kava is known on very rare occasions to produce a different coloured branch.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Is this a transfer of genetic information from one kava plant and cultivar to an other?
This is a great question. I do not think there is a transfer but when you get a somatic mutation the genitic makeup of part of the plant changes. In this case the redish purple stalk is the change. Kava is a very interesting plant, it has 10 sets of chromosomes (normal species have only two and are called diploids). Kava is a decaploid (ten times 13 chromosomes= 130). Another interesting fact is that kava has both male and female plants and the female kava plants is very rare.
Aloha.

Chris