What's new

I have arrived

Bula man!

Kava Curious
I think I may be getting some dermopathy but I'm not sure. My hands feel dry and almost a little puffy, but there is no real dry or scaly skin rashes going on. A few days ago I was developing some redness and dryness in my armpits but has since gone away. I've still been drinking kava about every night so what do you guys think. Is it dermopathy and should I stop or just not worry about it?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Mine started as redness and dry irritated skin around the arm pits...so, maybe.

Bula man!

Kava Curious
Is dermopathy something that kava drinkers pretty much always have or does it stop when your body gets used to kava?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I actually started feelin' a little itch as I was reading this ... lo and behold, my torso is all dried up again:rolleyes:
...time for my amlactin coating

Last edited:

Bula man!

Kava Curious
Well that sucks! Looks like I'm gonna need to stop drinking everyday... Starting tomorrow :D. Also what causes dermopathy and this side effect kind of makes me think kava isn't as gentle of a plant as I thought

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It's a trade off sort of deal. The sleep quality, and lack of anxiety are worth the skin trade-off. Who needs skin anyway? Overrated if you ask me.

Bula man!

Kava Curious
Hmm... Well I guess so except I really just drink it for that islandly feel. I don't have issues with sleep and only occasional anxiety but it's still a great herb for me in moderation. Do regular lotions help fight dermopathy?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
These are alternatives that don't necessarily treat dermapothy directly, but they help a ton, and don't burn.

I'm not sure how available these products are globally, but I would bet since they're such mainstay brands here that they'd be available.

First one is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion.

http://amzn.com/B001QFDTWO

The other I use daily is Vaseline Aloe Fresh

http://amzn.com/B001ECQ4JE

I usually mix the two 1:1 to thin it out a bit. Gold bond is nearly industrial bearing grease in consistency, so I find that it alone is way too thick.

I use these daily in the morning after my shower.

For dry hands I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream. I have yet to find anything that works as well on my hands.

http://amzn.com/B00121UVU0

For Dry lips I've found Lypsyl to work extremely well also.

http://amzn.com/B001KYGJRI

So that's my daily regimen, and it's been working for the last 5-6 years. If you find Amlactin too harsh, try those. There's no denying the power of the lactic acid on dermapothy, but there's also no denying that burn.
I've been dealing with it quite a long time, and these make it manageable.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Is dermopathy something that kava drinkers pretty much always have or does it stop when your body gets used to kava?
Depends on how often you drink and what you are drinking. I drank tons of kava for most of last year w/o any dermopathy at all. And now I've been drinking a lot of very finely ground kava (not by choice) and I'm turning into a lizard man.

D

Deactivated Account

Hmm... Well I guess so except I really just drink it for that islandly feel. I don't have issues with sleep and only occasional anxiety but it's still a great herb for me in moderation. Do regular lotions help fight dermopathy?
Every one is different & different kavas/grinds can change things. You need time to know what kava affects you over what time period & what quantity. Thats how i see it anyway. I hate it so i tend to leave it alone for a good bit then cane it for 1-2 weeks & pull up just before i get it heavily.

Lotions help greatly & i believe oils such as krill oil or linseed. Ive no medical info to back that up though. I also believe Vit B's supplements are good when drinking kava.

I have never yet got it from fresh root kava nor do regular big drinkers in Vila get it. It just seems to be from powdered kava.

P

Pat

I've recently started on Kava and had to give it up due to pretty bad night itching, no rash or blotches just red skin from scratching!

I got the mixed starter pack from Kava Bula House so it's not a particular brand that's causing it.

Glad to hear it's common and I'm not a skin freak!

sentiententity

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't gotten any significant skin issues from kava. Either I'm really lucky, or i haven't been drinking long enough for it to show up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk