What's new

I need help with product

theFword

Kava Curious
Hi, I'm completely new to kava. I haven't tried it yet. I am currently having alcohol problems (I am sober as of March 24th) and I am looking for something, anything really, to reduce my stress. I tried benzos (before I relapsed with alcohol) and those were just a whole other problem. I found kava and it looks as if this is the real deal to maybe be a helpful solution to ease me. I am currently limited to amazon since I have amazon credit I need to use up anyways, at around 20 bucks. I found this product called
KONA KAVA Premium Kava Sampler Pack
Amazon product
I hope I'm allowed to post links like that, sorry if I am not. Anyways, would that be a good product to get or should I go with this?

KAVA WAKA powder -1 LB- Fijian High Quality Kava
Amazon product
and just strait my own brews?

Any advice will be helpful. Thank you

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
The links didn't work in your post, but try out Wakacon Fijjian Waka. It's nowhere near the top-shelf quality of some of the vendors that post here, but it'll do the trick. Keep in mind that many people have to overcome reverse tolerance to really feel the effects of kava. It took me a good 2 weeks of near daily use to really feel great.

Welcome :)

theFword

Kava Curious
Thank you for the response. I guess I'll go with that then. How long does a pound last the average person with daily use would you say? I hope it's strong even if not top-shelf quality. Would there be a better product on amazon for around that price?

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Well, you're going to use a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of kava to water, so you can do the math. A pound would last me two weeks-ish I would think, but I normally use micro instead of medium grind, so your mileage may vary.

One of the vendors here sells Kalm with Kava on Amazon. For some reason I can't link the URL, but the concentrate is a great deal, and doesn't taste bad either. I wouldn't bother with the premixed bottles. While it's not as strong as a standard grog, you'll be able to mix this with your grog or drink it on it's own. I definitely recommend it for building up your reverse tolerance at the very least. I've almost always got some on hand.

theFword

Kava Curious
I think I am going to go with a half pound of the Kalm then if what you say is true. I'd rather not go too cheap with this and have a quality product. I just hope I am fortunate to not have a reverse tolerance. I plan to mix it with water and chocolate milk (or will that be too gross?). Thanks again, I'm gonna wait an hour or so before I decide to buy to hopefully get more peoples opinions.

Mr. Rooted

Keepin' Austin Krunk
Here's my $.02: I've been an Amazon Prime member for years, and I try to order everything I can on Amazon because the free 2 day shipping can't be beat. That said, I never order kava root on Amazon. The root you'll get from vendors like Chris from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and Judd from Bula Kava House is far superior and you'll have more options to choose from.

I would really recommend a micronized kava as your first kava because its impossible to mess up... you just stir it in. I burned through about 1 lb of med grind root just trying to figure out how to knead it properly to achieve extraction... I don't want anyone to make that mistake. I would highly recommend Moi, Nene, and Papa Kea from here: http://www.gourmethawaiiankava.com/3.html

Shipping times in my experience (I'm in Austin, TX):
Bula Kava House shipping is Priority Mail 2 day from Portland - you'd probably be drinking dirty water by Friday afternoon.
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava shipping is Priority Mail 3 day from Hawaii as long as your order is big enough... otherwise it ships first class and takes much longer. I wonder if Chris can chime in with details on how much you need to order to get priority shipping.

I'm glad that Kalm with Kava sells on Amazon, but I've never tried any of their root or concentrates, so I can't speak to them. I've only heard great things though.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome to the forums, @theFword!

Of what's available on Amazon, I'd say the Kalm with Kava stuff is probably your best bet. Mike sells his concentrate, his premade drinks and his ground root there.

If you're just starting out with kava, going with the Kalm Concentrate and mixing it 1:7 with water is probably the easiest way to start off. It is strong enough to get you over your reverse tolerance and once you start feeling it being effective, switching to his ground root (Borongoru or Pouni Ono varieties would be my recommendation) would be the way to go.

Wakacon/Best Fiji Kava/Kava.com/etc. varieties sold on Amazon will definitely NOT be as high quality as Kalm's stuff, so stick with Kalm if Amazon is your source.

theFword

Kava Curious
Thanks guys. I just ordered Kalm with Kava Borongoru right now with 2 day shipping. Half pound. I'll be sure to stick around here to let all know how it goes.

EDIT: Amazon isn't always my source, just I got the extra credit right now for it.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum @theFword. ::awesomesmiles:: Once you get into kava, your new forum name with be theKword. Yes, it's hard to get decent kava on Amazon but I know you are trying to use up your 20.00 bucks. I wonder if you can get kava candy. It would be a nice way to get through reverse tolerance.

theFword

Kava Curious
Haha, I'm just hoping my reversed tolerance isn't too bad. I dunno if body weight has to do with it, but I am beyond skinny weighing 110 pounds. I have a really small tolerance to almost anything.

D

Deleted User01

I'm a liteweight kava-wise and I weigh 154. It is indeed a blessing to be a liteweight when it comes to kava. Let's hope it works out for you and you get over RT. Also, being a liteweight means your wallet will weigh more.

theFword

Kava Curious
Yeah, my metabolism is incredibly fast. 5'10 and 110 pounds. I have a bottomless pit of a stomach too. It doesn't make a lot of sense but it is what it is.

D

Deleted User01

Hey, you're making everyone here jealous. I've known guys like you. Amazingly, they keep their girlish figure into mid life while the rest of us turn into blimps. You might want to go easy the first time you do kava to make sure it sits well with you. Actually, that is good advice for any Newbie. Remember, if the kava loves you then you have to love it back by changing your name to the theKword. At that point you will be amenable to anything and just be happy, happy. We look forward to that day amigo.

theFword

Kava Curious
If I do love it, I am going to definitely change my name to theKword. I probably will love it haha. I usually do love these kinds of things and from what I hear, it really helps stray away from the more harmful things people love but need to break. I'm pretty excited.

Mr. Rooted

Keepin' Austin Krunk
I usually do love these kinds of things and from what I hear, it really helps stray away from the more harmful things people love but need to break. I'm pretty excited.
It helped me quit oral tobacco after 5 years of constant use. It's an excellent substitute because the anti-anxiety effects help tremendously with withdrawals and irritability.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I'd stay away from Kona Kava if you're looking for something of, at the very least, decent quality. I've never shopped for kava on Amazon so can't say much about it.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Here's my $.02: I've been an Amazon Prime member for years, and I try to order everything I can on Amazon because the free 2 day shipping can't be beat. That said, I never order kava root on Amazon. The root you'll get from vendors like Chris from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and Judd from Bula Kava House is far superior and you'll have more options to choose from.

I would really recommend a micronized kava as your first kava because its impossible to mess up... you just stir it in. I burned through about 1 lb of med grind root just trying to figure out how to knead it properly to achieve extraction... I don't want anyone to make that mistake. I would highly recommend Moi, Nene, and Papa Kea from here: http://www.gourmethawaiiankava.com/3.html

Shipping times in my experience (I'm in Austin, TX):
Bula Kava House shipping is Priority Mail 2 day from Portland - you'd probably be drinking dirty water by Friday afternoon.
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava shipping is Priority Mail 3 day from Hawaii as long as your order is big enough... otherwise it ships first class and takes much longer. I wonder if Chris can chime in with details on how much you need to order to get priority shipping.

I'm glad that Kalm with Kava sells on Amazon, but I've never tried any of their root or concentrates, so I can't speak to them. I've only heard great things though.
Hey guys, when I ship the kava I will ship anything over 1 pound via priority mail, all the smaller packs will be sent first class, also I tend to add extra kava to the bags too, sometimes so if I get an order for 1/2 pound of kava then I can not add anymore extra kava because the postage is by weight but when I ship via priority mail flat rate envelope then I can take the liberty to give samples or heavy bags because the shipping is a flat rate.
I do not do this all the time but I do like to do it semi frequently, it is my way of saying thank you for your business. Aloha to all.

Chris

theFword

Kava Curious
Thanks everyone for you help. I got the kava. I didn't prepare my first and only glass though right I do not think. I'm getting a strainer tomorrow but I had to drink it without one. Well I strained it twice in a cooking strainer because I thought it'd be better than nothing but, I mixed 3 tablespoons with about 12 oz of water and mixed it for about 10 minutes. Going to try with a cloth strainer from the store and warm water tomorrow. It's been about 5 minutes since. Luckily I got a strong stomach. Is there maybe a way to do it better tonight? I also tried a coffee filter but that didn't seem to work.

EDIT: I feel like such a noob haha

theFword

Kava Curious
Okay, sorry for double post but figured it'd be a good way to update. Making a second glass now. More kava, and hot water this time. Mixing it up in the glass. Got a cloth that I am going to strain it through this time to get pure water after 15 minutes of stirring. I got a glass of chocolate milk to chase it with. This should be okay right? Better than previous method anyways.

EDIT: Finished 2 tall glasses 10 minutes ago making it extra strong. Mouth is numb. I am starting to feel it I'm sure. It's not strong at all, I went to write this comment three times but I stopped due to fear of it being placebo. I'm sure it's not though. I just feel a weird sense of calmness. It's nothing like drinking a few beers as I've seen others describe, but I definitely feel different. Hoping tomorrows experience with the official strainer I'm going to buy is stronger. I actually don't mind the taste either. It smells like that mulch stuff you put in a mouse cage and tastes like dirt (I've never tasted dirt, but what I think dirt would taste like) but I don't mind it. Btw, when I say extra strong, I used like a 1/6th of the bag for those two glasses. I'm sure the way I did it, I lost some in the making, but yeah.

EDIT 2: It's gotten stronger, but still not strong. I for sure feel it though. It's just a sense of calmness. Strangely enough, I feel more motivated though to draw or make a song. With alcohol and being sober after alcohol, motivation was vanished. I am interested to see how the effects get stronger over time.

EDIT 3: I like to draw

Last edited: