What's new

Improve the taste

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Finally got some Kava after not having any in around a year or two. I got some of Solomons Headhunter.

I was looking forward to it, but ended up puking around the third shell. I just couldn't get it down me, the taste was so damn bad.

Any quick tips to improve the taste? I was mixing it with water and that was it.

Sorry if there's tons of threads on this. Thanks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey guys,

Finally got some Kava after not having any in around a year or two. I got some of Solomons Headhunter.

I was looking forward to it, but ended up puking around the third shell. I just couldn't get it down me, the taste was so damn bad.

Any quick tips to improve the taste? I was mixing it with water and that was it.

Yeah, that Solomon funk. Some people look right past it, no problem, but I just can't. It's such a specific smell and taste. I don't know any ways of covering that up, just agreeing with you.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
People can make numerous suggestions on "improving" the taste, but of course, taste is an individual preference. So you may not like any of the suggestions other people make.
So my suggestion is go with a flavor that you typically prefer in other beverages.
It can't get any worse than it is now.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Nice to know it's not just me that finds headhunter a bit strong in taste!

I've read that some people mix with milk instead of water. Does that improve the taste much?

And you're right, i suppose it can't get much worse than it is now. I remember I used to drink it without having too much of a problem, maybe it's just the headhunters a bit too strong tasting for me. Maybe it wasn't chilled enough, there's nothing worse than warm kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the replies. Nice to know it's not just me that finds headhunter a bit strong in taste!

I've read that some people mix with milk instead of water. Does that improve the taste much?

And you're right, i suppose it can't get much worse than it is now. I remember I used to drink it without having too much of a problem, maybe it's just the headhunters a bit too strong tasting for me. Maybe it wasn't chilled enough, there's nothing worse than warm kava.
@Edward knows about the milk, good luck!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

I actually quite like the taste! Milk won't really soften or hide the taste much, I use milk as an immediate potentiator so I don't get odd kava rushes the next morning. I only add about a quarter to a third milk. I haven't mixed with all milk for a long time and then I used to do that with instant.

To actually hide the taste try mango or pineapple juice, one sweet the other sweet and a bit sharp.

I believe you got this from me if you're who I think you are? If you want to send it back to me I will refund it no questions. I have Melo melo here which is a slightly easier taste (for a Vanuatu kava anyway) or the Dokobana is easier again, just a bit more balanced to heady.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Hey @Edward !

Yes, I am who you think I am, I did get it for you. I really appreciate the offer of a refund, but I've decided to stick with it.

I'm actually drinking it now, and it's fine - I'm drinking it much colder than I did last night though, and I have some sliced pineapple to chase it with, and it's really not that bad now.

I think it was a combination of it being too warm last night, and also just where I hadn't drunk any Kava in so long, I hadn't quite prepared myself when it came to drinking it.

Thanks for the info on the milk. I will shoot you a message over the next day or so most likely, as I want to grab either some Melo Melo or some instant.

Cheers!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Update - it's going down extremely smoothly now I've chilled it enough. It's some good Kava!
Yeah temperature is everything! I recommend always extracting with room temp water, you can always chill it after. Cold extraction makes a big difference in the end product, glad things worked out.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Oh really, I never knew cold extraction made a difference to the end result.

Will be sure to use room temp tonight and then chill it after. Thanks!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey guys,

For most kavas the taste might not be pleasant but doesn't make you puke.... but there have been a few so vile I couldn't get them down. I would suggest changing it up to a different kava if it is that bad. Early on I tried all kinds of concoctions to make it taste better and all it really did is make a more nuanced dirt water taste. The best I found for actually covering the taste was super sweet coffee creamer (french vanilla I think...) but even that was meh. Now I just down it as quickly as possible and follow up with some fruit.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
For most kavas the taste might not be pleasant but doesn't make you puke.... but there have been a few so vile I couldn't get them down. I would suggest changing it up to a different kava if it is that bad. Early on I tried all kinds of concoctions to make it taste better and all it really did is make a more nuanced dirt water taste. The best I found for actually covering the taste was super sweet coffee creamer (french vanilla I think...) but even that was meh. Now I just down it as quickly as possible and follow up with some fruit.
Thanks for the info. All good now, as I realised not drinking it chilled enough was the problem. I was confused, as I never used to have a problem getting it down me, but I completely forgot I need to chill it. It's been over a year since I last drunk any Kava, so I had forgotton how to prep it properly.

Just made my batch for the night, I used room temperature water, and I've just stuck it in a Jug in the fridge with some ice cubes in, so it should be nice and chilled shortly.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Hey @Edward !

Yes, I am who you think I am, I did get it for you. I really appreciate the offer of a refund, but I've decided to stick with it.

I'm actually drinking it now, and it's fine - I'm drinking it much colder than I did last night though, and I have some sliced pineapple to chase it with, and it's really not that bad now.

I think it was a combination of it being too warm last night, and also just where I hadn't drunk any Kava in so long, I hadn't quite prepared myself when it came to drinking it.

Thanks for the info on the milk. I will shoot you a message over the next day or so most likely, as I want to grab either some Melo Melo or some instant.

Cheers!
Oh man, glad you chilled it! YES, there's a night and day difference between warm Kava and chilled Kava. :)
Ice dulls down the taste in a major way.
(The first time I threw up with Kava was after consuming a big hot bowl of Melo melo. Heh.)