What's new

Kava for Trade Individual Fijian Kava Cultivars

Do you want to try 8 yr old individual Fijian Kava cultivars at $40 per 200grams?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Trying to source individual Fijian kava cultivars in feasible quantity is next to impossible in Fiji for various reasons. I wont get into details of that.

This post is just to see how many of you would be interested in trying pure Fijian cultivars of Fiji.

Our kadavu farmer has told me that he has 12 kava plants in his farm which are over 8 years old now. He turns 24 this year and has been farming kava since 14 after leaving school. These plants where planted when he was 15 and he has kept them to fulfill his dream to sell those plants to build up his savings for retirement ( with Fiji National Provident Fund). I personally admire his hard working attitude and dedication. He is currently building his home with the money he makes from the kava he sells to us. I decided to offer him a much higher price for his kava than what we offer to our other better established farmers, after understanding his background and motivation, because he deserves the support. I have been helping him out through other means as well such as sending him a digital hanging scale to use (he had to haul his kava to a friends place to use his scale), sending him unprocessed kava packaging materials and tools for the farm. This is why the Kadavu is the most expensive kava of our offerings. Unfortunately his phone got damaged and there was no way i could contact him until two weeks ago. Which is why we have had restocking issues.

Anyways he has already harvested 1 of the eight yr old plant and its Dokobana Vula. it will yield just about 10 lbs of waka. I want to offer him double the price of what i normally give for his waka just for his pension dream. But at the end of the day I am running a business and need to be sure that i'm not making a loss. At the same time, i don't plan to take profit either to subsidize the final cost to the consumer so the price is reasonable and not over inflated. This is just a social initiative to support a young kids dream.

I need to know if you would be interested in purchasing his individual cultivars which according to my costs will be around $40/200g. I will package according to the numbers i see wanting to buy so the packing could range from 500g to 100g depending on the interest. There will just be up to 10lbs available depending on when he harvests and sends to me because its a painstaking process to carefully harvest alone ensuring you get all the roots. He plans to harvest a cultivar once a month so this maybe a year around thing where in short periods we will announce his single kava cultivar available for pre-order. The kava will come in our normal packaging and there will not be anything different about it other than it just being a single cultivar.

Please let me know your interest by voting in the poll

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'd like to, so I could try all of his cultivars and support his efforts and support you for supporting him. ::KavaChug::
But unfortunately I can't see myself paying $40 for 200g. I'm sure there are plenty of others with disposable income, or people who got into kava recently that are accustomed to high prices who would gladly dish it out, to try something special.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I'd like to, so I could try all of his cultivars and support his efforts and support you for supporting him. ::KavaChug::
But unfortunately I can't see myself paying $40 for 200g. I'm sure there are plenty of others with disposable income, or people who got into kava recently that are accustomed to high prices who would gladly dish it out, to try something special.
Thats ok. I actually want to pay him double of what I normally do so it makes a significant difference to his pension. He has waited over 8 years just to get a yield of on average 5kg of kava roots per plant which isnt much considering he just has 12 of them at that age.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Knowing it is from Kava Time would make me more inclined to buy it. That Taveuni's Lawena is the best lawena I ever had, and every Kava Time product I've tried has been excellent, special, distinctive, and genuinely gourmet.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
That's a really worthwhile cause and a cool idea; but I don't think I could easily justify paying that much on a monthly basis. I'm gonna vote "no" cause I wanna see the results (and don't want you to count on my purchase). But I'm not saying I absolutely wouldn't try one at some point, either.