What's new

Insomnia after antipsychotic, what to buy and where? EU

Dingy

Hi everyone. :)

I stopped using something called Olanzapine 10mg for years years a month ago. To combat the withdrawal symptom of insomnia I was prescribed Quetiapine. It helped with sleep, but I got some very bad symptoms from using it. So now I can't sleep and was searching for help! I've read good things about Kava regarding it helping to promote sleep. But I don't know what website that is good and safe to use and has good products in EU. I found this one, is it safe and are their products good? https://kavaeurope.eu/ I was thinking about using one of the instant versions. They have two, they are called Bir Kar and Quick Shell. Which one do you guys think would work the best? And what dosage and how long before sleep should I take it?

I hope someone out there can be of help who has more knowledge than me. And I hope to soon be able to sleep again. Thank you very much for reading, and have a great day!

yestothat

Kava Curious
Hi Dingy, I'm sorry about your sleep issues. I'll recommend what has worked for me.

Get ground kava root (not instant, micro-grind, capsules or tinctures). Make sure the package label says noble (vs. tudei) kava. Buy a good quality nut milk bag with extra fine mesh, one that's strong enough to withstand vigorous squeezing and kneading.

Make your first batch, but don't expect it to work right away. You may not feel any effects the first time. It could happen, but kava often takes time to build up. Some start to enjoy kava only after their 2nd and 3rd sessions. Note that the 2nd session could mean days and even a week after the first.

How to make kava (measure everything precisely as it matters):

1. Find a large container. Start with 1/4 cup of ground kava root and a liter of cold water. Wash your hands with soap and water first. :) Then knead the nut milk bag containing the ground kava in cold water in the large container for 10 minutes. Squeeze well. Now you have a container of liquid kava. Inspect the kava and remove any tiny splinters that may have escaped the mesh. Then put it in the fridge to avoid spoilage.

Tips:
1. Make sure you haven't eaten at least 4 hours before, or you could end up not feeling anything.... until your food finally digests and all kava that you've been drinking while thinking "why isn't this working" hits your system and makes your head spin in not a good way.

2. Start slow - drink 1 measured cup, then wait 30 minutes and listen to your body. Then take your second cup, and notice how you feel. Remember to go slow. Drinking too much all at once can cause nausea and anxiety. Adjust the potency to whatever works best. Kava truly effects everyone differently.

Its important that you set your expectations at the beginning - kava is an effective sleep aid for some (not all), but it may take days or weeks or months to calibrate the exact strength help you sleep.

Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions. There are so many helpful people on this forum. I wish I knew this place existed when I started enjoying kava years ago.

Last edited:

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Just a heads up that whilst kava can help with sleep (assuming you use the correct cultivar/variety that works for you), many people don't find kava that beneficial for sleep.

From my own experience kava doesn't really help me sleep. Most kavas I have tried are sleep neutral, and one kava I tried actually gave me some of the worst insomnia I've had.

So whilst most people get some anxiety relief and calming effect from kava, this doesn't necessarily translate into a sleep improvement.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just a heads up that whilst kava can help with sleep (assuming you use the correct cultivar/variety that works for you), many people don't find kava that beneficial for sleep.

From my own experience kava doesn't really help me sleep. Most kavas I have tried are sleep neutral, and one kava I tried actually gave me some of the worst insomnia I've had.

So whilst most people get some anxiety relief and calming effect from kava, this doesn't necessarily translate into a sleep improvement.
@Dingy I tend to agree on the sleep issue and if sleep is the intended purpose, I would recommend having your shells a couple hours before dinner (if possible). That way you lessen your likelihood of feeling nausea and it should give your body enough time to process the kava before you go to bed. Food potentiates the effects of kava for many people so there could be an added benefit there.

It will come down to trial and error but that may be a good starting point.
Good Luck & keep us posted!

Edit: https://kavaeurope.eu/ is a great vendor, so you need not worry here.

Last edited: