What's new

Is adding fats / lechitin considered 'traditional' / water preparation?

ElKavallero

Kava Curious
Just curious since most sites recommend using some sort of fat to help pull in more kavalactones, are there compound in kava that are ONLY oil soluble, or does the oil just help with the agitation of compounds that the water would generally pick up anyway?

Do any cultures traditionally brew there's with fat being added?

infraredz

BULA!
Yes, there are nonpolar substances (including kavalactones) that are not readily soluble in water, hence the "agitation" that is needed to put them in a suspension rather than solution like if you were to use an organic, nonpolar solvent like acetone. Lipids fall into this class and a lot of people have anecdotal evidence that it helps aid in a more potent effect (although it seemed that the consensus changes because a while ago I thought most people agreed it did little). Personally, I've tried it and found no discernible difference in potency, only an even higher viscosity grog that makes it that much more... gross.

I don't think that many Polynesian countries use any sort of lipids when they brew their kava, although Andrew and others could chime in on this. There might be some use of them, but I'm almost certain it's not widespread.

D

Deactivated Account

No Melanesian communities ive drank it with do it. I believe they would find it amusing that its done. I've done it & found it made no difference what so ever but that is just my opinion.

infraredz

BULA!
What sort of emulsifier do they use nemo? I've always thought that Coconut water would be a logical choice but then again, I don't have any personal experience or knowledge about that.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I have dehydrated cocount water powder, to make an instant cocount drink. Sometimes add a little bit to the water for kava mix. No obvious difference, but slightly improved taste.

D

Deleted User01

I have always used Coconut Water (and regular water both) and it does indeed help with the taste. I stopped using Soy a long time ago and I don't notice any degradation in effect. I have to stress, use the WATERY coconut water. Don't get a creamy one or you will end up with slimy Kava if you heat it up too much. I get the ones from Sprouts that say H2O on them.

A

Absent Minded

I haven't noticed a difference using fats... was initially tossing in a splash of coco milk when I first started out, but now it's just straight wood-uh for me. I would absolutely use coconut water though if it wasn't heinously expensive. I wouldn't drink kava prepped with any sort of soy/whatever lecithin. Steer well clear of that stuff.
Brewin it' up regularly with a splash of coco milk though.... omg:hungry:

TISGOD

Hi guys, new to the group. Been drinking Kava for 5 years, introduced to it through a local Kava Bar that had just opened. Loved the environment, the people, and once the reverse tolerance kicked in... The effect of Kava.

After a number of years of pretty much nightly visits to this Kava Bar ($$$$), I noticed I no longer enjoyed the effect of their Kava. Had been experimenting with my own Kava mixtures at home for a while and came to the conclusion that the negative effect from their Kava was caused by the Lecithin they added in.
The Kava (with Lecithin) was giving a nice relaxing chill after LONG work hours, but the Lecithin seemed to be fighting it and making me anxious.
TOTALLY ruining the experience for me. Felt like crap.

So, as much as I LOVE the environment and the people of this Kava Bar - I now stay home and enjoy making Kava on my own.
Thanks to Forums such as this one I was able to pinpoint the types of Kava that would suit me best (High Kavain, Low in DHM) and prepare it to my liking.

BAD Effects from Kava containing Lecithin - I started becoming very sensitive to light, My eyes would actually hurt like I was straining them. Creepy itchy skin, this freaked me out.
Anxiety, not in a "Oh my god what am I gonna do" kind of way, but more a jittery "fast" kind of feeling. TOTALLY the OPPOSITE of what the Kava did (THIS I HATE). Sleeplessness, I'd literally stay up all night and have to go to work the next morning (To work ALL DAY). I just couldn't relac]x

Lecithin = Bad

I say, toss a few tablespoons in the Magic Bullet, blend it for a bit, strain it in the Fiji bag, kneed it a bit, and drink. Add nothing unless you just wanna have some nutmeg or something to give you a slightly better flavor and enjoy your Kava. Maybe even a little black pepper to enhance the peppery flavor of the Kava. But for me no additives, I see no reason for it and it can ruin your whole experience.

:)

P.S. Regarding the coconut water / Milk suggestion - In my experience - DO NOT use Coconut milk, it is HEINOUS! Coconut Milk and Kava tastes like Puke. :)
However, Coconut water and Kava is fantastic and keeps you hydrated killing that "Sluggish Kava hangover" the next day (For the most part).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Hi guys, new to the group. Been drinking Kava for 5 years, introduced to it through a local Kava Bar that had just opened. Loved the environment, the people, and once the reverse tolerance kicked in... The effect of Kava.

After a number of years of pretty much nightly visits to this Kava Bar ($$$$), I noticed I no longer enjoyed the effect of their Kava. Had been experimenting with my own Kava mixtures at home for a while and came to the conclusion that the negative effect from their Kava was caused by the Lecithin they added in.
The Kava (with Lecithin) was giving a nice relaxing chill after LONG work hours, but the Lecithin seemed to be fighting it and making me anxious.

So, as much as I LOVE the environment and the people of this Kava Bar - I now stay home and enjoy making Kava on my own.
Thanks to Forums such as this one I was able to pinpoint the types of Kava that would suit me best (High Kavain, Low in DHM) and prepare it to my liking.

BAD Effects from Kava containing Lecithin - I started becoming very sensitive to light, My eyes would actually hurt like I was straining them. Creepy itchy skin, this freaked me out.
Anxiety, not in a "Oh my god what am I gonna do" kind of way, but more a jittery "fast" kind of feeling. TOTALLY the OPPOSITE of what the Kava did (THIS I HATE). Sleeplessness, I'd literally stay up all night and have to go to work the next morning (To work ALL DAY). I just couldn't relac]x

Lecithin = Bad

I say, toss a few tablespoons in the Magic Bullet, blend it for a bit, strain it in the Fiji bag, kneed it a bit, and drink. Add nothing unless you just wanna have some nutmeg or something to give you a slightly better flavor and enjoy your Kava. Maybe even a little black pepper to enhance the peppery flavor of the Kava. But for me no additives, I see no reason for it and it can ruin your whole experience.

P.S. Regarding the coconut water / Milk suggestion - In my experience - DO NOT use Coconut milk, it is HEINOUS! Coconut Milk and Kava tastes like Puke. :)
However, Coconut water and Kava is fantastic and keeps you hydrated killing that "Sluggish Kava hangover" the next day (For the most part).
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your experience with lecithin. But for the sake of clarity, I'd like to mention that your bad experience with lecithin is probably due to a rare personal allergy to it. Lecithin is generally considered to be a safe product with very minimal side-effects (if any) in most people, with or without kava. There is also the possibility that these side-effects were due to a sensitivity to the strain(s) of kava you were drinking. Some people seem to have different sensitivities and tolerances to specific kavalactones. From your description, it sounds like either a strong (but normal) kava dosage or a slight allergy.
Congrats on the Kalm win. I think you'll like it. When I had it, it seemed to be high Kavain, low DHM. (y)

A

Absent Minded

Lecithin = Bad

surely, you jest.... kava with a splash of goya coco milk is so good it aint even funny! makes it so much smoother, creamier, it's great. That being said, Goya's product is pretty watery, I typically get this brand called La Cena Coco. Milk. It's super duper thick and creamy and is the best thing in the WORLD for smoothies. I'd never blend that in with the Kava though.

blindy107

Kava Lover
surely, you jest.... kava with a splash of goya coco milk is so good it aint even funny! makes it so much smoother, creamier, it's great. That being said, Goya's product is pretty watery, I typically get this brand called La Cena Coco. Milk. It's super duper thick and creamy and is the best thing in the WORLD for smoothies. I'd never blend that in with the Kava though.
Damn skippy! i use about 1.5 to 2 cups water at 115F and half to one cup of ice coconut milk after my blending and kneading to cool it off...the less creamy variety as well. I found a big box or it at Costco and it lasts a long time using less than a cup a day. I feel the added creaminess takes the edge off the grit that comes through when i skip the strainer bag and use a mesh strainer on account of laziness....which is often :sneaky: