What's new

Is drinking Kalm With Kava more than once a day OK?

Dee

Dee in the desert
Hi,
I'll be trying kava for the very first time in a couple of days when my Kalm With Kava concentrate order comes. I have a whopping case of generalized anxiety disorder and am praying it will help. If it works, I'd love to be able to drink it 3 times a day, twice a week. Is this considered an excessive amount?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi,
I'll be trying kava for the very first time in a couple of days when my Kalm With Kava concentrate order comes. I have a whopping case of generalized anxiety disorder and am praying it will help. If it works, I'd love to be able to drink it 3 times a day, twice a week. Is this considered an excessive amount?
No, not at all. I would say most kava drinkers consume FAR far more than that per week on average. I consume 280 grams of prepared kava per week, and have been for a long long time. The best way to see if you're consuming too much is by the quality of your skin. If you're looking like a mummy or a crocodile, it's time to slow down.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The Kalm with Kava extract beverage and concentrate are good, but frankly, much less potent than traditionally prepared kava from root powder. There is not really an upper limit on how much you can drink, but if you drink too much you might feel drowsy, and should not drive a car. I have never really had any side effects from drinking a lot of the KWK concentrate other than a little drowsiness, but if you drink too much root powder you can get things like dizziness, nausea, and muscle incoordination.

Reactions: Dee

Dee

Dee in the desert
No, not at all. I would say most kava drinkers consume FAR far more than that per week on average. I consume 280 grams of prepared kava per week, and have been for a long long time. The best way to see if you're consuming too much is by the quality of your skin. If you're looking like a mummy or a crocodile, it's time to slow down.
That's wonderful to know! I know there's good reason to believe the liver problems people were having was due to bad solvents, but I was still nervous. about using more than a teeny bit. I think I can relax and enjoy now Thank you :joyful:

Dee

Dee in the desert
The Kalm with Kava extract beverage and concentrate are good, but frankly, much less potent than traditionally prepared kava from root powder. There is not really an upper limit on how much you can drink, but if you drink too much you might feel drowsy, and should not drive a car. I have never really had any side effects from drinking a lot of the KWK concentrate other than a little drowsiness, but if you drink too much root powder you can get things like dizziness, nausea, and muscle incoordination.
Interesting to know. I love the idea of the strongest effect, but I turn into a whimpering baby when I'm nauseous, so not sure if I'll summon the bravery to try the root powder. I noticed they sell instant Kava too. Have you had any experience with it? :)

ThePiper

Kava Lover
The instant is just regular root that has been micronized (finely ground) and is more likely to cause nausea for some people than the traditional preparation. You owe it to yourself to try the method of kava drinking people have used for thousands of years. If you want to buy from Kalm then I recommend trying boronguru or borogu to start with. Kalm's root is more potent than your average kava though. Start with two tbs of root kneaded in a stocking (see YouTube guides or step by step guides on the forum) and if you are scared to go in deep just drink half the bowl to start, you can always finish it later. Drink it on an empty stomach and have something to eat after your session

D

Deleted User01

A couple of things. @Kapmkrunk mentioned skin issues which is scaly skin or dermatitis. Not everyone gets it ... for instance I don't get it. I do Micronized Kava about 4-5 times a week and I use 2 to 3 tablespoons a session. The Micronized I buy has the hard fibers (Makas) removed before it is processed and right after harvest by a Kava farmer in Hawaii. I agree with @ThePiper that you should learn how to prepare it the traditional way but I personally have no problems with Micronized. For me, it is very convenient and offers full potency. But you need to investigate all the different types of kava to see what is best for you.

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
You can work your way slowly into regular Kava use. I did. In the beginning it didn't agree with me. My stomach didn't like it. Now I use it 2x's/day for pain relief. Though I got to tell you I drink it now for recreational purposes too. I use traditional method with medium grind, but am retired and have time to do it. If time were an issue I would use regular grind with an Aluball as many frequent kava users do. Kalm with Kava has great Kava. They are all fantastic. I use their Borongoru for stress and sleep.