What's new

Is it kosher to mix kava and kombucha?

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Title says it all. I know you aren't supposed to mix kava and alcohol and know kombucha's alcohol content is negligible, but I don't want to assume anything. Anyone know for sure if they are safe to mix and drink together or in succession? Thanks in advance. ☺

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
If your kombucha contains corn syrup, it is kitniyot and not kosher for Passover ;)

Ok, but seriously, the alcohol content in kombucha is pretty low. As long as you're not in alcohol recovery, the minor traces of alcohol in kombucha probably won't be enough to interact with kava. L'chaim! ::chugger::

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
If your kombucha contains corn syrup, it is kitniyot and not kosher for Passover ;)
Ok, but seriously, the alcohol content in kombucha is pretty low. As long as you're not in alcohol recovery, the minor traces of alcohol in kombucha probably won't be enough to interact with kava. L'chaim! ::chugger::
Lol I was speaking figuratively as I'm sure you guessed. I actually brew the kombucha myself. Black tea, organic turbinado sugar and the mother culture for a week, then add fruit juice and bottle it for a few days for the second ferment. Then drink. Still kosher?
I don't have a problem with alcohol, just not a fan and don't want any bad Ju Ju interactions with my kava.
Thank you. Again. :)
L'chaim. :) Hehe

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Sounds pretty good! Could always check the alco content with a brewer's hydrometer. That 2nd ferment with fruit juice could make things a little more potent than straight tea-based kombucha.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think there is the definite risk that if you drink kombucha and eat kimchee and sauerkraut and drink some kava you might possibly fart, maybe. Although with women it usually smells like rose-water sorbet so that's not a bad thing. With men it can be fatal.

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds pretty good! Could always check the alco content with a brewer's hydrometer. That 2nd ferment with fruit juice could make things a little more potent than straight tea-based kombucha.
Ah that's a good idea. And you make a good point. The question I should really be asking is how much alcohol content can one consume without getting bad JuJu from having kava later.

Does anyone know how to quantify "too much"?

I mean I am guessing that number could be potentially different for each person, no?

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
I think there is the definite risk that if you drink kombucha and eat kimchee and sauerkraut and drink some kava you might possibly fart, maybe. Although with women it usually smells like rose-water sorbet so that's not a bad thing. With men it can be fatal.
Lol I am nowhere near as crunchy as all that. My only forays into fermentation thus far have been with kombucha, mabi (or mauby to you Jamaicans) and sour dough breads. I have yet to venture into veggies. But I am surprised you didn't know that girls don't fart anyways. We only rumbly poot. It's good to see you Krunkie. Been awhile. ☺

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Kimchi is really good stuff. It's hard to mess up. It's not too picky about what you use for a culture. I've started kimchi with all sorts of random things: yogurt, sourdough mother, even simply covering an open jar with cheesecloth and waiting overnight. I bet a piece of scoby would cook up a fine jar of kimchi, too.

And if kimchi seems a little too weird... well, it's basically spicy Korean sauerkraut. That's how I use it, anyway.

Kastom Lif's "bigosjjigae" Polish-Korean fusion stew:
In a big old slow cooker, combine,
- pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- beef stew meat, 1 inch cubes
- sosij chunx of your choice (linguiça and kielbasa are great)
- To the meat add an equal volume of shredded cabbage, half fresh, half kimchi or sauerkraut.
- an onion or two, chopped finely.
- paprika, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, turmeric, ginger... whatever tastes good to ya
- some garlic to taste, chopped finely.
- choose ONE of the following: tomato paste, bean paste or chopped green apples.

Cook it forever on low heat and then throw the whole thing in the fridge. Don't eat any until you have reheated it at least once... bigos is always better the next time around.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I hear second ferments can increase alcohol a good bit but still probably negligible. Im sure a second ferments with low sugar fruits wouldnt be an issue. I figure it's best to keep the alcohol content at or below 1% if possible.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
I drink a lot of water kefir, my stuff is usually around 2% abv. The way I see fermented health/probiotic drinks is that they are not meant to have sessions with like kava, I generally drink a few cups of kefir throughout the day but mostly in the morning without any known interference with kava. Honestly I’ve never thought about an interaction there because I don’t really view these types of beverages as alcoholic drinks. But hey I’ve been know to drink a few light beers with kava so yeah. My LFTs are fine. Just made some strawberry kiwi water kefir, yum!

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Kimchi is really good stuff. It's hard to mess up. It's not too picky about what you use for a culture. I've started kimchi with all sorts of random things: yogurt, sourdough mother, even simply covering an open jar with cheesecloth and waiting overnight. I bet a piece of scoby would cook up a fine jar of kimchi, too.

And if kimchi seems a little too weird... well, it's basically spicy Korean sauerkraut. That's how I use it, anyway.

Kastom Lif's "bigosjjigae" Polish-Korean fusion stew:
In a big old slow cooker, combine,
- pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- beef stew meat, 1 inch cubes
- sosij chunx of your choice (linguiça and kielbasa are great)
- To the meat add an equal volume of shredded cabbage, half fresh, half kimchi or sauerkraut.
- an onion or two, chopped finely.
- paprika, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, turmeric, ginger... whatever tastes good to ya
- some garlic to taste, chopped finely.
- choose ONE of the following: tomato paste, bean paste or chopped green apples.

Cook it forever on low heat and then throw the whole thing in the fridge. Don't eat any until you have reheated it at least once... bigos is always better the next time around.
I have heard that Polish bigos are supposed to be amazing but have never tried it. Is it true that it is traditionally supposed to cook for three days?
Thank you for the recipe. Very kind of you to share. :)
I do like kimchi as well, but have never made it. I do buy kimchi ramen all the time though. Lol
Thank you again. :)

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
I hear second ferments can increase alcohol a good bit but still probably negligible. Im sure a second ferments with low sugar fruits wouldnt be an issue. I figure it's best to keep the alcohol content at or below 1% if possible.
Thanks. I think I will get that brewer's hydrometer that @kastom_lif recommended to see where my kombucha comes out to. I was wondering what percentage of alcohol was acceptable though so thank you for your reply. :)

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
I drink a lot of water kefir, my stuff is usually around 2% abv. The way I see fermented health/probiotic drinks is that they are not meant to have sessions with like kava, I generally drink a few cups of kefir throughout the day but mostly in the morning without any known interference with kava. Honestly I’ve never thought about an interaction there because I don’t really view these types of beverages as alcoholic drinks. But hey I’ve been know to drink a few light beers with kava so yeah. My LFTs are fine. Just made some strawberry kiwi water kefir, yum!
Thanks. I have never yet tried water kefir. How does the taste compare with kombucha? Strawberry kiwi sounds delish. :)

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I have heard that Polish bigos are supposed to be amazing but have never tried it. Is it true that it is traditionally supposed to cook for three days?
Thank you for the recipe. Very kind of you to share. :)
I do like kimchi as well, but have never made it. I do buy kimchi ramen all the time though. Lol
Thank you again. :)
You don't have to cook it 3 days in one go. It just gets better each time you reheat it. Sort of like lasagna, or refried beans.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
Thanks. I have never yet tried water kefir. How does the taste compare with kombucha? Strawberry kiwi sounds delish. :)
Totally different taste. Water kefir is like a fruit soda with a slight sour kick. It’s really refreshing. I drink a half gallon every three days. I put some clementines in the recent batch and it tastes like orange soda. BlackBerry is my favorite. Give it a try. I get my kefir from Florida Sun Kefir. Good stuff. BULA!

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
I own a tea company and were starting another brand for just kava. We supply tea to booch producers in jacksonville florida, so I know a few tricks. Anyway when u brew kombucha commercially, you have to stick below 0.5% abv. When its first produced, it could be 1 or 3 % due to "reasons" lol. They lower abv by just addding water to the final brew. The same alcohol is in the brew but each serving will have less. Anyway you could thin out your booch with batch recipe kava which is usually weaker than a single serving. 130g to 1gal vs. 50g to 16oz. This would effectively thin ur abv per serving and have your weaker session batched kava which would have no issues with such a low abv booch. Id always watch with concentrates and esp tinctures bc theyre always way stronger. The only other concern is flavor. U have to flavor everything stronger if u know ur going to thin. Gl!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I avoid the gt black label stuff that can be up to 3% alcohol but I don't worry about regular store bought booch. I Take 3 jarrow milk thistle caps per day every single day though.