What's new

Is it possible to be immune to kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naijomii

Kava Curious
From what I understand this is most likely improbable and that its just reverse tolerance at work. I also read maybe its just not quality product or prepared correctly. Why then does it work for my friends and my hubby but not for me?

Perhaps the answer lies in me, in my messed up lupus and friends auto immune system. The 'friends' here being fibromyalgia, degenerative disks, etc.
I've tried instant (Kule'a farm), micronized (the 11 year one), traditional prep with the powered roots, kava candy, the chocolate by kava king just to name a few. I've checked the boards to be sure I ordered the Nobel kind from reputable companies as we have here on our boards. I've tried adding milk , using warm water and even letting it soak first but again it does nothing but make my mouth tingle. It does wonders for my friends which I now got up to 6 converts, go figure.

I make sure not to eat before, I've tried waiting 6 hours of fasting and first thing upon wakening. I've made sure to not drink caffeine as I read that can lessen the effects.
Is it the screwed up system I have, is it one of my meds or do I just have some crazy RT due to one of these reasons? I have always had a funny system, immune to many medications or had them work oddly on me and have a crazy high tolerance to others.

I am not giving up just yet, I keep hoping besides my friends look forward to me making it for them now at our weekly get together so I must be doing something right. I can see how it works for them and how much they like it, I have to admit I envy them a bit :)

Oh and I use 2 tablespoons per serving with the traditional prep, I do find making it relaxing at least.

Any advice or suggestions on this are appreciated, thanks in advance.

D

Deleted User01

@Naijomii, you didn't say how long you have been fighting reverse tolerance. There are people on the forum with some of your 'friends" that kava was of benefit so it would be a shame if you are truly immune. Perhaps this is a case where something stronger than noble might help overcome RT. They say the body has natural receptors for Cannaboids. Maybe you have 0 receptors for kava and it ain't gonna happen. Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S. Have you ever had this kind of intolerance with other drugs?

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Yes I have Deleted User01. Things like motrin, vicodin, several antibiotics, etc have no effect, I'm totally immune to some medications they have tried with me for pain and can recover from novocaine in under 30 mins so they use 2-3 times the dose now on me. They even ran a few cultures as finding an antibiotic I wasn't immune to was difficult, there are only two in all of them in production that have any effect and they are the high end so we try to not have to use them so I don't become resistant to those 2 as well.

As for the time, its been about 5 weeks now I've been fighting the RT. Mostly on weekends with my friends though about once or twice a week by myself hoping that it will add up eventually. I did just order from noble cloud and got some paradise kava extracts to try as well. I also ordered some of the kalm concentrate as my 70 year old mom wants to try it after talking to my hubby and friends but i'm not sure she could handle the taste of the regular kind. (she loved the candy type so I'm getting her some of those with the concentrate for mother's day) I'm determined if nothing else :)

I figure if I just keep drinking it with my friends maybe one of these times it will just happen. There is a kava 'bar' about an hour from here so once the weather stays nice I think i'll drive down there to chat with them. (( Eyes just ain't what they used to be when it rains, need the sunshine))

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I use about 8 tbsp per serving with good powdered root. Some people are just hardheads. I've been on kava for years and would consider about 4 tbsp to be the threshold for me to feel any of Kava's effects.

So basically just keep trying and don't be afraid to up the dose.

Naijomii

Kava Curious
I will make a separate batch for me and try upping it then. I always was/still am a bonehead/hardhead/jarhead haha goes with my Marine Corps mentality :D
I did think about trying that but I figured it would just be wasting Kava but drinking two or more 'shells' ((we use full rocks glasses or 8 oz glasses)) for every one they drank wasn't working, I think I'll try that tomorrow when we get together. Thanks for the feedback Kavadude and Deleted User01!

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Well the experiment of upping the dose to 4 very heaping tablespoons per 8 ounces of water and then doing one of these every 20 mins for an hour finally worked. I felt calm and relaxed unlike any of the other times I had tried it with my friends. Now I understand what my friends were talking about and hopefully in time maybe I can lower that a bit but for now I am just happy it finally did something other then just tingle my tongue a bit now and then and taste bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.