What's new

Is less actually more?

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I have been at this a few months now. I've conquered the RT but still feel like I need A LOT of kava to get me where I want to be. It can easily take 2 tbsp 3x in one night (over an hour and a half) to just get to the starting point. THEN I'm not able to sustain it because I feel gross from ingesting so much material and can't drink more.
I just bought a bunch of medium grind hoping that would be easier but so far after a lengthy, vigorous, correctly filled double AluBall shaking produced very little and I chugged the entire container at once. I will try the CTAHR method next because I have to do something with the 4 pounds of medium grind I've accumulated.
YES! I am waiting hours after I eat.

SO my question is whether I might actually have stronger effects from less? Am I crossing some threshold and then starting to get crappier effects because I'm actually using too much? I tried multiple times but never had any luck with the suggested amounts of 2-4 tsp and have since stuck with the 2 tbsp micro every 30 minutes method.
Edit: Guessing the answer is no, but I really am at a loss as to why I have such a stupid high tolerance for something that shouldn't cause one at all. I am not sure if it's sustainable.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have been at this a few months now. I've conquered the RT but still feel like I need A LOT of kava to get me where I want to be. It can easily take 2 tbsp 3x in one night (over an hour and a half) to just get to the starting point. THEN I'm not able to sustain it because I feel gross from ingesting so much material and can't drink more.
I just bought a bunch of medium grind hoping that would be easier but so far after a lengthy, vigorous, correctly filled double AluBall shaking produced very little and I chugged the entire container at once. I will try the CTAHR method next because I have to do something with the 4 pounds of medium grind I've accumulated.
YES! I am waiting hours after I eat.

SO my question is whether I might actually have stronger effects from less? Am I crossing some threshold and then starting to get crappier effects because I'm actually using too much? I tried multiple times but never had any luck with the suggested amounts of 2-4 tsp and have since stuck with the 2 tbsp micro every 30 minutes method.
Edit: Guessing the answer is no, but I really am at a loss as to why I have such a stupid high tolerance for something that shouldn't cause one at all. I am not sure if it's sustainable.
what is it you want kava to do?

My experience with too much is that there is a sweet spot beyond which you get diminishing marginal returns, you don't get more of the great stuff just because you want itor have more root. The sweet spot is the sweet spot. Beyond that are the diminishing marginal returns right up to a glorious brink of diplopia but just a tiny push and you have overdosed on kava. While not the end of the world, it is not pleasant. Vertigo and double vision and a fairly rapid cessation of fun. It's ok, just drink water, lie down and relax and wait for it to inevitably pass.

As to your question, you might get greater effects from less, depending on the root, how you prep it, your mood when you drink it and the situation, and how much attention you can give the kava. It's certainly possible, I think we've all experienced that many times.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I drink roughly 8 tbsp a night for good effect so I don't feel like you are using "too much". It's kind of the vibe I got from the beginning of your post.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I drink roughly 8 tbsp a night for good effect so I don't feel like you are using "too much". It's kind of the vibe I got from the beginning of your post.
You mean micro? How can you stomach it? After 6 I feel like I've swallowed a pound of cement.
And yes, you were reading me right. I got the impression that several people thought 2 tbsp of micro at a time, especially repeated, was a lot. And of course it FEELS like a lot in my stomach.

Last edited:

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
what is it you want kava to do?

My experience with too much is that there is a sweet spot beyond which you get diminishing marginal returns, you don't get more of the great stuff just because you want itor have more root. The sweet spot is the sweet spot. Beyond that are the diminishing marginal returns right up to a glorious brink of diplopia but just a tiny push and you have overdosed on kava. While not the end of the world, it is not pleasant. Vertigo and double vision and a fairly rapid cessation of fun. It's ok, just drink water, lie down and relax and wait for it to inevitably pass.

As to your question, you might get greater effects from less, depending on the root, how you prep it, your mood when you drink it and the situation, and how much attention you can give the kava. It's certainly possible, I think we've all experienced that many times.
I am surprised by it, but I actually prefer headier kavas. I am pretty fond of the initial rush and ear ringing that then evens out to a manageable euphoria and eventually drops down to a nice calm and eventually sleepy feeling. That's what I like about Mahakea. Seems pretty heady at first and then I get pretty relaxed and eventually it helps me sleep. Though I think prefer it mixed with Moi.
"Diplopia" is an excellent word. I didn't know it. I had a feeling that there would be a high point and then a kind of settling in. I don't really have any desire to "chase" anything with kava, just reach the goal and maybe step down from there? And I REALLY have no desire to overdo it. Gack, I can imagine it.

My question was not about being able to find what I'm looking for with less, rather if there was a sweet spot and going past it was actually preventing me from hitting my goal in the first place.

blindy107

Kava Lover
You mean micro? How can you stomach it? After 6 I feel like I've swallowed a pound of cement.
And yes, you were reading me right. I got the impression that several people thought 2 tbsp of micro at a time, especially repeated, was a lot. And of course it FEELS like a lot in my stomach.
I guess I missed the part where you said it was micro. Apologies. No I do about 4tbsp of micro. So now I have nothing for you...best of luck! Hah

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I guess I missed the part where you said it was micro. Apologies. No I do about 4tbsp of micro. So now I have nothing for you...best of luck! Hah
Contextually, it's there... but I swear I edited it and added "micro" to the first paragraph. I can see why you didn't know and that's why I asked. Thanks anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk