What's new

Is warm water necessary?

Bert07

Me like da kava
I think this has been previously talked about a while ago but I forgot. Does warm water do anything more to extract the kavalactones during the knead process? Would room temp or even cold do just as well?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yes. Hot water is more efficient, but makes it taste worse. Up to you whether that is worth it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I only use hot water, and honestly it boosts the potency enough for me to make it well worth the increase in less-than-palatable taste.

Edit: My hot, temperature wise, is 120-130 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I only use hot water, and honestly it boosts the potency enough for me to make it well worth the increase in less-than-palatable taste.
Agree it's worth it besides, "less palatable" kava, really? Just chill it well afterwards and you'll never know or care!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Agree it's worth it besides, "less palatable" kava, really? Just chill it well afterwards and you'll never know or care!
Totally. Chilling, for me, is absolutely necessary. Before you drink it, and afterwards :D

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
That fires me up! I think I'll go to the prep lab, aka my kitchen - ten minutes of prep, plus 45 minutes in the freezer should about right. Kava time in Tennessee!! I took a couple of days off so it is going to be niccccccceee!::aintthatnicez::

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
We use milk or 1/2 & 1/2 (Organic 1/2 & 1/2 from our little organic store) lol- the kalvatones are supposed to like lipids. We warm the milk because it hurts to knead in cold water/milk...but I haven't noticed the potency difference in that.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
my prep method is as follows:

first wash with piping hot tap water. the gloves make it bearable.

second wash warm/hotwater. save pulp for another date, and freeze until I have the entire pounds worth of pulp in which I do a final boil/blend/strain, when I'm all out of fresh root.

finally I add a tray of ice cubes and stir until frigid cold. serve and enjoy :)

edit: the tray of ice cubes thins out the grog to m desired consistency.

finally, the pulp that I save for when I'm all out always has different effects than the fresh batch, which leads me to believe certain kavalactones are more easily extracted than others.

Last edited:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
It makes sense, that hot water would help, or that lecithin or other fatty liquids would help. But honestly I haven't really noticed any difference.

I just squeeze the hell out of it when it's in the bag.

Seems to be the only thing that matters. /shrug

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
my prep method is as follows:

first wash with piping hot tap water. the gloves make it bearable.

I microwave around 20 oz of filtered water for 2 mins and end up with the same result. I'm not sure what the water temperature is, but it's slightly uncomfortable even with latex gloves. I find the first squeeze is really "greasy" which makes me believe it improves the result. I guess I could be wishing but the University of Hawaii did a study that proved hot water increased the potency.

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/frequently-asked-questions/

blindy107

Kava Lover
Honestly it's for number crunchers or experienced rooters.

Hot water boosts the lactone extraction by a small percentage barely noticed by most users it seems. Same with the lipids and fats. Again, there is a spreadsheet floating around that has info from a scientific study somewhere. It lists optimal heat and kneading/blending times.

I don't think I notice a large difference, if any, myself but I continue to use 120* water and some milk in the blender. Maybe it's psychosomatic.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I think whatever prep method you arrive at that works for you and you're happy with is a total win. It doesn't matter if we do it all the same, or even that it's optimal. I've come to have personal feelings about my prep method, and I know some Polynesian tribes keep their kava prep methods a closely guarded secret, taught to selective members, and passed down.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
It makes sense, that hot water would help, or that lecithin or other fatty liquids would help. But honestly I haven't really noticed any difference.

I just squeeze the hell out of it when it's in the bag.

Seems to be the only thing that matters. /shrug
I agree.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I haven't noticed much of a difference in effect myself, so I use a middle-warm temperature that feels good on my hands.
Same. Also I don’t bother with milk or soy milk anymore. Just straight water extraction. Although I do recommend milk to those struggling with the taste.