What's new

Just downed my first cup and lovin' it already

Johnny Frye

It's all about supply and command
What's up everyone, I've been lurking these forums for about a week and I just downed my first cup of M'oi medium grind from GHK. I used the "simple method" and blended up a few tablespoons before straining it through a few layers of cheesecloth. The whole kneading thing is a bit confusing so I figured I'd try out infranstez's (probably misspelled that) method first.

The crazy thing is that I'm already feeling some effects. After about half an hour I began to notice a nice pleasant sense of relaxation and a mild body and head buzz. At first I thought it might be a bit of the placebo effect but now as I lay back on my couch to play some advanced warfare, I'm pretty sure it's not.

Is it possible for the reverse tolerance to not be an issue for some people or am I just crazy?

Johnny Frye

Just made a second cup, this time tried to knead it a lot more. I'm still divided as to whether these effects are a placebo or not.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It is very possible to not have reverse tolerance. It sounds like you prepared it correctly.

Bert07

Me like da kava
When I first started out I used a cheesecloth too. I found although it did a great job straining out all the grit and particles (especially when you fold it over a couple times), it was hard trying not to get any root fibers from spilling out at the top. The clean up was also a pain. If you want something easier to work with - purchase a strainer bag of some sort. Anything with a drawstring is much simpler so you can close the opening at the top. Clean up is a piece of cake in comparison as well.

Johnny Frye

Yeah it's not too bad I'll probably buy a strainer pretty soon.

Would drinking a lot (like four or five two-tablespoo shells) im a day decrease the time necessary for the RT to build up? Or does it have to be spread out?

Bert07

Me like da kava
Yeah it's not too bad I'll probably buy a strainer pretty soon.

Would drinking a lot (like four or five two-tablespoo shells) im a day decrease the time necessary for the RT to build up? Or does it have to be spread out?
The more the better I would say. Both with amount and consistency. When I started out way back I was using 6 tbsp shells. Now that I think about it I could have used more in a session to speed things up a bit.

Johnny Frye

Then I'll definitely whip up another one. I only bought half a pound, I hope it doesn't go by before I really break the RT. Thanks man

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome to the forums, @Johnny Frye! Good to have you aboard!

Sounds like you're getting the real experience right out of the gates. Lucky bastard.

Anyone know if RT length is age related?

Johnny Frye

Glad to be here man, seems like a really active and welcoming community. I've made two more batches but they haven't had the same effect as the first one. Gonna keep at it though.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah next time just make a bigger one. Try getting something like some nylon stockings, take like 8 tablespoons and get your knead on and try that. Blending is OK but I've never found the potency to be as good as kneading.

Johnny Frye

Do I knead while submerged or just kinda dip and then wring it out above the bowl? Also where do I buy nylon stockings hahaha

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Squeeze it good while submerged for a while then you can wring it out over the bowl and return to kneading. Nylon stockings, you can buy at the dollar-store or wal-mart etc...be careful wringing those, it can make holes.
You can also buy paint strainers from Home Depot, they're a bit more durable, or many other kinds of finely woven strainers.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
A Fijian strainer bag is a good investment for a small price. I still have the same one I bought like a year ago. I just let it soak in hot water once in a while to get some of the kava resin out when it gets a little tacky from repeated use.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Yes, as @shakas said, @Johnny Frye, knead it under the water mostly, squishing and squeezing it around and trying to put some real pressure on it. That's the main extraction action. Then periodically lifting it up and wringing it out over the bowl and applying tons of pressure is good too.

Johnny Frye

Awesome that's what I've been doing. Blending it and then kneading it underwater in a bowl. I've already gone through most of my 1/2 pound of Moi from GHK, just put in another order hahaha. My afternoon shell didn't seem to affect me as much as the one I took this morning - probably because this morning my stomach was completely empty.