What's new

Just had my first kava and not what I expected need advice

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
hi guys,

I’ve just had my first real kava drinks and I was worried as in the past it hasn’t done anything.

Well it definitely did this time but I’m a little disappointed at the mo here is why.

After about 20 minutes it hit me, a sort of realaxed feeling and I thought “great this is definitely working” but within another 20 mins I started to feel really rough like I was hungover! It’s like I’ve had a few drinks in the daytime and now it’s wearing off. Im aware of dehydration being possible but I made sure I had a few glasses of water.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m going to give it another go later and tomorrow and am hoping it’s just a newbie thing and once I’m used to it, it won’t be an issue. Also I’ve got some other types on order so hoping they will have a nicer effect.
Any info would be great.
Thanks.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That sounds like a classic kava experience to me, the kavain hit first giving you the lift, the other kavalactones coasted you along for a bit and then the heavier KL's slowed you down and made you sluggish. Dehydration could definitely be a cause but also most people will top themselves up with more kava after a period of time. I've rarely had a kava session under 2 hours. It could easily be the type of kava as well. I get on with more heavy types and find heady kavas can leave me feeling a bit depressed. I'm sure it will get better if you keep trying, it nearly always does.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
Thanks for the reply.

It was horrible and still is a little like a bad hangover with a raging headache!

Would you recommend having some more? Im hoping a top up could help.

I’m hoping it’s just an issue of my body getting used to it.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hmmm.... if you're feeling that bad then adding more could go either way. I'm not sure a couple of glasses of water would be enough, more like a couple of litres. I always try and be well hydrated going into a session because I can never seem to drink a lot of water or anything else once I'm drinking kava.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
Yea I’ve had another and feel great with a little nausea as soon now.

I think it’s just a case of dosing right, making sure I’ve had plenty of water before and knowing what type works best for me.

Thanks for your input mate.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I think you'll find your way through with some trial and error. But I second what Edward said about the type of kava being a possible factor as well. I definitely find different kavas leave me feeling differently at the tail end (and the beginning).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yea I’ve had another and feel great with a little nausea as soon now.

I think it’s just a case of dosing right, making sure I’ve had plenty of water before and knowing what type works best for me.

Thanks for your input mate.
Yes, it take a while to find the right method, level, type for you. Try and drink as much water as you can way before your session so you've got plenty stored up. It will help.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Thanks for the reply.

It was horrible and still is a little like a bad hangover with a raging headache!

Would you recommend having some more? Im hoping a top up could help.

I’m hoping it’s just an issue of my body getting used to it.
People use the term "hangover" to describe various feelings but you shouldn't be getting headaches unless there is something else going on like extreme dehydration or something of that sort. What kava are you drinking, how much did you use and how did you prep it?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
People use the term "hangover" to describe various feelings but you shouldn't be getting headaches unless there is something else going on like extreme dehydration or something of that sort. What kava are you drinking, how much did you use and how did you prep it?
Yeah, I agree. I don't think kava has ever given me a headache. When I say "hangover," I usually mean either that the muscle relaxant/ heavy effects continued into the next day (usually cause I drank it really late at night), or that I feel sleepy and have some brain-fog. I don't think headache has ever been an issue.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
Yea it was definitely a bad headache anyway I tried another go and this time I was really nauseas almost to the point where I thought I was going to be sick.

It’s the next morning now and I still feel a little off.

I used 11 year Waka micronised kava from Bula kava house, in the end I had 3 glasses with 2 tablespoons each. Maybe I over did it? Tonight I will try one glass with one tablespoon, hopefully that works because I did feel relaxation behind the nausea.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Yeah, I agree. I don't think kava has ever given me a headache. When I say "hangover," I usually mean either that the muscle relaxant/ heavy effects continued into the next day (usually cause I drank it really late at night), or that I feel sleepy and have some brain-fog. I don't think headache has ever been an issue.
Yeah, exactly. The only time I've gotten a headache from a kava product was with high doses of some old KKF 70% extracts from years ago. Even then, it was just very minor and passed without being much more than a temporary nuisance.

Yea it was definitely a bad headache anyway I tried another go and this time I was really nauseas almost to the point where I thought I was going to be sick.

It’s the next morning now and I still feel a little off.

I used 11 year Waka micronised kava from Bula kava house, in the end I had 3 glasses with 2 tablespoons each. Maybe I over did it? Tonight I will try one glass with one tablespoon, hopefully that works because I did feel relaxation behind the nausea.
6 Tbsp is quite a bit if you're still getting used to it and don't have a good grasp on your limits. The 11 year is also on the more potent side of micros. When you start your session there may be some build up needed before you feel the full effects so if it takes 2 Tbsp to feel effects initially, each re-dose may not need to be 2 Tbsp. I would try lighter doses timed more frequently. Nausea isn't uncommon but if you keep getting bad headaches, it's probably time to try traditional prep or instant.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
I’ve got 2 lots of micronised so I will def know if it’s for me because I’m not waistline them.

I’ve got some traditional stuff loa Waka from Kalm with kava aswell.

Thanks for the info guys it’s now 1130 the next day and I still feel rough!! Really hoping this is just an adjustment issue.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Some kavas can "kick" like that with headache or nausea after 30 minutes or an hour. I think it depends on how hydrated you were beforehand.

For me, it seems to be related to kavas that are higher in dihydromethysticin (#5 on a chemotype, or DHM). I can't say that the symptoms are caused directly by DHM as I've had plenty of high DHM kavas with no ill effects. There's just something about DHM, or perhaps other compounds related to it, that do not start to take effect until at least 30 minutes into a session. Whatever it is seems to metabolize much more slowly than kavain, so if you're chasing shell after shell of kava for the heady effects, the deep effects can sneak up on you unexpectedly. When I drink heavy kava, I usually just tank a large amount all at once and then get settled for the evening. Mirroring how each cultivar is consumed in its traditional setting seems to work best for me.