What's new

KALI KAVA California Adapted Kava Genetics

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
A friend told me about this brand. It is interesting... I don't personally like the idea but figured others would be curious to learn about it...
http://kalikava.com/
I saw this on kavaworld's facebook page today. Really interesting, but I can't imagine it would be that much more lucrative just by removing the shipping costs from Hawaii. Not only that, isn't land in California even more expensive than Hawaii? I probably just don't understand the ins and outs.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
If there is truth in this news-- that quantities of kava can be grown in California it would be interesting in many ways.
It would help with reality check to get a photo sent to the Forums of any quantity of plants actually growing in California.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
If there is truth in this news-- that quantities of kava can be grown in California it would be interesting in many ways.
It would help with reality check to get a photo sent to the Forums of any quantity of plants actually growing in California.
Looks like they have a youtube channel with a few videos

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Looks like they have a youtube channel with a few videos
Yes, thank you, I was able to view the video despite my relatively poor satellite connection.
If that is California and they have the quantity we can see in the video growing there
in that healthy a state it is quite remarkable. That quantity will have to be multiplied of course.
If this can be done at fairly equal costs to the South Pacific communities, nations, traditional kava
growing regions, then it is obviously a game changer.
I leave it to others to comment on the ethical issues.
While there can be arguments of intellectual property and the fact that Pacific Islanders invented
kava, etc. I honestly do not feel qualified to comment.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I saw this on kavaworld's facebook page today. Really interesting, but I can't imagine it would be that much more lucrative just by removing the shipping costs from Hawaii. Not only that, isn't land in California even more expensive than Hawaii? I probably just don't understand the ins and outs.
Very interesting - but I agree that I don't understand the cost advantage. Land and labor costs in CA are not cheap relative to the Pacific. Maybe on par with Hawaii. That said the more kava in the ground, means more availability, and hopefully some day lower cost. I applaud someone attempting it. Who knows maybe new hardier strains could find their way to lower cost areas and increase yields.

Rooted_Socialite

Lansing, MI
Kava Bar Owner
Fairly significant investment would be required to make this profitable. LOADS of frost fans with a sophisticated irrigation system. Harvest period being over 2 years long ideally makes for a huge amount of risk, especially in California. You'd be making a kava fortress with fire lines basically. End result would be super amazing should someone invest that much money. Also, I'm struggling to imagine insurance costs....

Should a fair number of people decide to do smaller plots and share a processing facility, it could be feasible on a reasonable budget.