What's new

Kava: a study finds that kava might help to improve sleep quality

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I've just found this little paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15700178

Conclusion: "Kava-kava extract is a herbal medicine having not only hypnotic effects, but also sleep quality-enhancement effects."

I am not surprised. I've noticed that kava doesn't only make me sleepy, but it does indeed give me more restful sleeps. just 6-7h of sleep after kava seems to give me as much energy as my standard 8h of sleep with no kava. And it's obviously way better than going to bed after some booze..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

I hear ya on that @Henry. I had no kava and 1.5 glasses of wine last night. I felt tired and very sleepy. However, when I finally went to snooze land I had fitful sleep. I kept thinking about a work project. Kava is like a guardian who disallows any of those types of thoughts to enter your brain. Thinking about stuff like that is for the shower, not the bed.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Haha yeah. Alchohol isn't cozy tired it's exhausted for me . I allways think it'll be nice then it's just off feeling when I go to sleep.. but I definitley notice kava gives me more energy for less sleep.

D

Deleted User01

@Zachary , you are right, when I drink alcohol, I stand a chance of falling asleep on the couch and having to rewind my audiobook to who knows where. I always think, "man, I'm gonna sleep like a log." But it doesn't happen. I think the brain is busy with alcohol. With Kava, the brain sleeps with the body.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Kava is like a guardian who disallows any of those types of thoughts to enter your brain...
Quote of the day! It really is a mind-guardian. I can tell when the kava tapers off and I start getting those anxious thoughts again about the day's work or whatever else. Kava really keeps all that at bay and I'm able to focus only on what's really important at that time. It improves my focus, doesn't wash it out like alcohol would. Or, I could just choose to remain relaxed and carefree just go with the kava flow. If nothing else, going to bed de-stressed helps with sleep. Kava too late though and I'll be up at some point going to the bathroom, it is a diuretic, after-all ::shrug2::

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava has been my sleep savior for about a third of my life. It's one of the most important reasons I kept drinking kava.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I haven't taken a break long enough to notice yet ;) haha... sadly that break is starting tommorow... behold I ran out of the precious treasure we know of as kava. If someone would like to donate some kava to the Zac fund . Please call 1800 (my address) at this toll free number

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
I've been sleeping better than ever before in my life since I started drinking kava. Last night I had a Solomon waka blend from BKH around 7pm for some relaxing energy and then switched to a Solomon hanakapi ai blend around 10:30 which had me grinning and extremely relaxed but still able to get my nightly tasks done easily with a smile on my face. Got in bed around 2am, slept straight through til 11am and woke up fresh and beautiful and ready to playfully tackle the day. I love kava