What's new

Kava and Alcohol

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Pro-tip guys, over thanksgiving, I discovered headier kavas completely knock out a hangover.

I also frequently switched between kava and alcohol, often during the same day once again with no ill effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User01

Good tip on the hangover, bad tip on the kava plus alcohol. Everyday that I do Kava, I get less better effects with alcohol on my alcohol days. First thing, I miss Kava sleep. Second thing, the alcohol does have a more pronounced effect so I can't drink as much. Kinda a bummer but maybe a life saver. I guess the Kavalactones stay in the blood stream for a while and that would also explain reverse tolerance in Newbies. Once Kava is in your blood, it stays in your blood. But, you also reap the on going benefits.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I don't mean while both are active. More like having a few drinks during the day and then once they're worn off kava for sleep purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dankrubis

Please remember that there is also a very nasty stomach flu going around.
Yeeeaaaahh, final update over here. Pretty sure it was a stomach flu. The stomach issues lasted a good, well, they're still going on actually. But it's getting better. Wife woke up this morning with the same thing, too.

Quick question though. I did a toss and wash with around 4 tablespoons of micronized. When people talk about 'stomach issues' doing that, what are the affects on people with weak stomachs? Pain? Diarrhea? Discomfort? All of the above?

And can you do the traditional method with micronized? Put it in a nylon stocking and knead it in water for 5 minutes?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't have a weak stomach but 4 tablespoons of micronized will have me farting nonstop.

You can try the trad. method with micronized. Some folks swear by blending it but it doesn't do much for me.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeeeaaaahh, final update over here. Pretty sure it was a stomach flu. The stomach issues lasted a good, well, they're still going on actually. But it's getting better. Wife woke up this morning with the same thing, too.

Quick question though. I did a toss and wash with around 4 tablespoons of micronized. When people talk about 'stomach issues' doing that, what are the affects on people with weak stomachs? Pain? Diarrhea? Discomfort? All of the above?

And can you do the traditional method with micronized? Put it in a nylon stocking and knead it in water for 5 minutes?
In my case, symptomless at first, but then a few hours after consuming the micro, really bad gas pains and "discomfort" in my intestines. I had some success straining micro using a nylon stocking the same way I do medium grind, which made my tummy happier. When you strain micro that way, most of it passes through the strainer, but there is some gritty stuff that gets filtered out, which is apparently the cause of my issues.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I tried a small beer with Kava at T+1h .... In retrospect, it wasn't too bad but cheapened the effects of the kava and just made me more nauseous. Also, my tongue felt weird and i thought i'd have a panic attack. Not something i necessarly want to repeat. Better to drink a shell more than to combine, speaking from my limited experience.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I think most people would agree that it's best to give it a good 24 hours between one to the other, I know @Edward has had some great insight on this matter. I personally replaced the alcohol with kava. As much as I sometimes might get a kava hangover when I over do it, it pales in comparison to an alcohol hangover.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think most people would agree that it's best to give it a good 24 hours between one to the other, I know @Edward has had some great insight on this matter. I personally replaced the alcohol with kava. As much as I sometimes might get a kava hangover when I over do it, it pales in comparison to an alcohol hangover.
When I first started drinking kava I used to drink alcohol regularly too. Never on the same day but one evening kava, next evening alcohol. I rarely had any problems with that. A few times I got the red blotchiness which I think was the alcohol reacting with the kava that was in my system from the previous night. The other issue was after a few nights of alcohol I would go back to kava and get less effects, I had to build up my levels again. I haven't drunk alcohol for a while now and don't even get the cravings anymore so it's not an issue.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
When I first started drinking kava I used to drink alcohol regularly too. Never on the same day but one evening kava, next evening alcohol. I rarely had any problems with that. A few times I got the red blotchiness which I think was the alcohol reacting with the kava that was in my system from the previous night. The other issue was after a few nights of alcohol I would go back to kava and get less effects, I had to build up my levels again. I haven't drunk alcohol for a while now and don't even get the cravings anymore so it's not an issue.
I HAD all but stopped drinking alcohol...... I've just been on a family holiday to Turkey all-inclusive and had to get my money's worth!
I'm partaking in some alcohol tonight with the wife and then going to watch the football at the pub tomorrow and then i'm back on the wagon!
To be fair i never got up with a hangover whilst away so in my book that aint overdoing it!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I HAD all but stopped drinking alcohol...... I've just been on a family holiday to Turkey all-inclusive and had to get my money's worth!
I'm partaking in some alcohol tonight with the wife and then going to watch the football at the pub tomorrow and then i'm back on the wagon!
To be fair i never got up with a hangover whilst away so in my book that aint overdoing it!
Funny how you can sometimes do that when you are on holiday. It's to do with being less stressed apparently. Also you don't have to be up at a certain time in the morning. I think holidays may be my one problem area. My wife has come right round to the idea of me drinking kava instead of alcohol but desperately doesn't want me to take it through customs on the way out. I don't know whether I will try and go without anything, I am on holiday after all, or whether I'll partake of a few glasses of something, I am on holiday after all ;-)

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
Funny how you can sometimes do that when you are on holiday. It's to do with being less stressed apparently. Also you don't have to be up at a certain time in the morning. I think holidays may be my one problem area. My wife has come right round to the idea of me drinking kava instead of alcohol but desperately doesn't want me to take it through customs on the way out. I don't know whether I will try and go without anything, I am on holiday after all, or whether I'll partake of a few glasses of something, I am on holiday after all ;-)
I agree with the less stressed! I have a 4yr old and a 14yr old and both of them were happy to stay in bed until 10am (2hrs in front in turkey) That was a god send i'll tell ya! To be fair though we were back in the room by 11pm latest which also helps!
Previous holidays i'd take them all up to bed and i'd stay up at the bar until 3am..... I think it's an age thing now lol!

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
We're throwing a party for my girlfriends graduation at my house today... I can gladly say that over this year of using kava it has become less and less of a hassle when situations like this arise. Before I would think hmm I don't wanna be annoyed by people if I don't drink etc. So I'd stress to not have kava and blah blah blah and now I know I just don't like alcohol and it's gonna be horrible. So I'm honesty content to just not drink kava untill it gets to that point of alot of going on and partying and then bust out a nice mix of micro moi, and end the night off drinking back loads of Wow and nambawan.. I'm glad I have some "power" kavas on stock for tonight !!!
I think most who deal with this should have some nambawan wow or some other super strong kava on stock for a day like this