What's new

Kava and caffeine?

Justvibe

Kava Curious
When I drink kava, I seem to be more, sensitive to caffeine (say a medium coffee from the local gas station). Maybe the sedative effect of the kava make the stimulating effects of the caffeine more pronounced? Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think what you're talking about is fairly common and has to do with them being processed by the same enzymes in the body

I personally don't like the combo

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It can be an annoying, and sometimes even brutal, combination. As a general rule, don't mix Kava and caffeine. And honestly, why would you want to? Kava is an anti-anxiety aid and generally slows thing down, and caffeine is the polar opposite.

Justvibe

Kava Curious
It can be an annoying, and sometimes even brutal, combination. As a general rule, don't mix Kava and caffeine. And honestly, why would you want to? Kava is an anti-anxiety aid and generally slows thing down, and caffeine is the polar opposite.
I'm a regular coffee drinker, one of my first good experiences with kava, being that I'm somewhat of a noob, happened a few months ago. when. I started my day off with a small cup of black coffee, followed by two level tablesoons of kwk's micronized Tongan in a bit of milk and water. I felt energized, for several hours and wanted to just chat it up with everyone. Relaxed but not so much that I wanted to just bum it. Pretty motivated and all around good I would say. They say that chemotypw is excellent for day time use but I feel like the little bit of coffee lasted much longer and It definitely helped boost the uplifting feelings of the kava for me, or at least put some energy into the mix ::hugsmiley::

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Its because it was the first time, once you run out of dopamine ( aka if you do this combo too much) what happens, like with many stimulants is that the adrenaline continues and the dopamine doesnt, causing a tweaky feeling without the euphoria that accompanies it.

Reactions: Myk

drbinxy

Kava Curious
I posted this elsewhere, but I'm going to put it here too. I hadn't drank kava in quite a while and actually forgot about it's effect when combined with stimulants. I drank kava after taking some nootropics about a week ago. I can't remember which, I think it was quite a bit, about a gram of oxiracetam and 300mg of phenylpiracetam. It was absolutely terrible. I had extreme anxiety, was so stimulated that my pupils were actually dilated and weren't reacting to light. Do not mix kava with stimulating nootropics. You have been warned. I think it has something to do with kava being a reversible MAO-B inhibitior. MAO-B inhibitors prevent the brain from breaking down dopamine. My brain flooded with dopamine. I'm just hoping I didn't do too much damage to my brain.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I've had good and bad experiences with the combination. I've been drinking coffee on the daily for about seven years, so I'm kind of always on caffeine if you will, but I've only consumed Kava and Coffee simultaneously about three times. First time was a small cup of coffee with ~75mg kavalactones in me, about 40 minutes after consumption. Felt real nice, just sort of mild happy energy. Recently I consumed about twice as much, and about 45 minutes after consumption, did a double shot of espresso - bad idea, tweaked out hard. But there was another time that I consumed some smaller amount of regular coffee while under the influence of Kava and felt just fine. Something something moderation. I certainly don't plan on doing espresso with Kava again, but regular coffee with Kava will likely happen again in the future.

Drbinxy, sorry to hear your experience was so bad - can't say I've ever heard of what you took in combination with it but I'm assuming they're a different deal than Caffeine.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah its really a matter of dosage but I find the longer I drank kava daily the more and more sensitive I became to all stimulants ... I think it blocks the metabolism of adrenaline dopamine and or some other chemicals when used long without breaks..

I'm also relatively sensitive to caffiene to begin with

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I love the combo together but don't mix it that much. Hopefully I don't get those effects. I also drink a lot of coffee and Kava a day though just not mixed together.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I like the combo as well but it works better for me if the caffeine source is yerba mate and not a lot just enough to let me feel all the
Kava effects instead of falling asleep which can happen with sedative leaning kava. There is a company that makes a cola with stevia and
yerba mate for the caffeine that is very nice I think it's called Honest Fizz or something like that.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Coffee seems to be the antidote for kava with me. If I have any good vibes from the root it seems like coffee totally wipes it out but I don't get any negative effects

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
You mean breakfast?
Most mornings I have the third or fourth wash of whatever kava i drank the night before. Or I do a first wash of a less than full Aluball of Lawena. Then I drive my twenty minutes to work smiling while lately listening to Eckhart Tolle audiobooks. Get to work and immediately get some Cafe Bustelo going(thanks to krunky for that recommendation). Or when I can find it, Lavazza(epic yum). Usually two cups in the morning and one in the afternoon. Or if I am really frisky I move on to yerba mate through the middle of the day. Then home to no more caffeine and just strictly kava for the evening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Thanks for the coffee recommendations. In lieu of the audio books, I usually spend 15 minutes in front of the mirror chanting to myself. "I'm a good person, I'm a smart person, and doggoneit, nobody can ever change that". I do that until my wife blows up the session and runs me out of the bathroom". She has no respect for my feelings. :D