What's new

Kava and coffee, another dumb noob question

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
All my life, and I mean all my life and I am officially old, I have always had and enjoyed two cups of coffee in the morning.

Since I started drinking kava it's now one cup of coffee. Is that normal? Why does this happen? Does kava potentiate the effects of caffeine? Does it potentiate anything else, aside from cashews, I mean?

Is there any advantage to drinking green tea or iced green tea during a kava sesh because of the l-theanine?

Last edited:

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Personally, I drink Guyasua tea. It has the caffeine of coffee and the L-theanine of green tea. Some people are bothered by kava and caffeine, and others have no problem with it. Sometimes I even mix coffee with kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
All my life, and I mean all my life and I am officially old, I have always had and enjoyed two cups of coffee in the morning.

Since coffee it's now one cup of coffee. Is that normal? Why does this happen? Does kava potentiate the effects of caffeine? Does it potentiate anything else, aside from cashews, I mean?

Is there any advantage to drinking green tea or iced green tea during a kava sesh because of the l-theanine?
L-Theanine and caffeine have been shown to balance each other out nicely, @EQ knows more about this..

D

Deleted User01

I love myself about 4 cups of coffee every morning. I wake up a little Groggy from the deep kava sleep, and the coffee lights my fire and the fog disappears on little cat feet. Oh, and I need the newspaper for all that to work right.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think it is not uncommon. In my case I used to drink a whole pot of coffee every day. After I started drinking kava, it seemed like I became much more sensitive to the effects of coffee. These days I drink either 0 or 1 cups of coffee per day, but mostly I get my caffeine from one or two cups of yerba mate or Coke Zero...

Hill60

Kava Curious
I always start the day with four shots from my espresso machine in a big cup, Kava use hasn't affected that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

Noname

People underestimate coffee..coffee is ok but on the long run it'll burn you out you should try quitting

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I like a yerba mate in the morning but I have to be careful to hydrate even more later in the day or I just go in a downwards spiral of dehydration.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Subjectively speaking, it tends to potentiate caffeine for me. Below is something I posted not too long ago in another caffeine related thread, just a theory as to why it might be as common as it is for people to report that Kava potentiates Caffeine for them.

"Taking a wild guess as to why this occurs: according to this page http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-it-works-kava.1580/ Kava interferes with norepinephrine reuptake. Assuming the studies cited in the same paragraph showing agonistic and antagonistic action are regarding the GABA and NMDA activity (none of them actually show anything for me when I try to visit them), I reckon that means it INHIBITS norepinephrine reuptake to some extent, which means that on its own it increases the bioavailability of said compound.
Caffeine has been shown in this study, in combination with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (they didn't specify the subtype, unfortunately, but maybe it was subtype B?) to increase concentrations of norepinephrine in a rat's brain: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0014299970901585
Kava happens to be a monoamine oxidase B inhibitor, which means that it could hypothetically increase if not be the complete cause of an adrenergic response to caffeine that wouldn't be there otherwise. ASSUMING it was an MAOBI in the study. Or one that just inhibits both subtypes."