What's new

Kava and Cold

D

Deathrydar

I will be coming home after work today to my first ever delivery of Kava.

The problem is that is is a frigid 4 degrees here with the wind chill in the negatives.

Will the kava be ok out in the cold for four or five hours? The mail man is going to most likely leave it in between my two doors, if no one steals it first.

Thanks.

D

Deathrydar

You don't know the half of it. Its so bad! :(

Nearly done my klonopin taper, then I can drink some next week. Unfortuantely i read everywhere that i cant drink kava while taking klonopin so im hoping to be in the clear by mid next week.

Hopefully this is the answer ive been lookong for to calm my insane anxiety!!!

infraredz

BULA!
Just curious, but where did you read anything about not using kava and your clonazepam together? What did it say?

D

Deathrydar

Read it many times on many sites. I just googled "can I take klonopin and kava together?" And nearly every result states that they have a major interaction wih each other and not to take it...

Mainly because of the risk of central nervous system and respiratory depression.

infraredz

BULA!
Well, respiratory depression is not going to happen with kava. There is definitely going to be an added amount of CNS depression but the extent of that would be much more negligible if you are tapering. If you were taking benzos without reducing the dose, there is definitely more reason to be worried as opposed to drinking it while you are basically in withdrawal.

The sad truth is that most of the WebMD like sites are incredibly conservative but more importantly, misinformed when it comes to stuff like kava. In all honesty, if there was anything to be worried about, it would be reduced clearance of the klonopin due to the extensive hepatic enzyme inhibition caused by kava. Kava by itself does not cause respiratory depression.

That all being said, everyone is different and I would always advise erring on the side of caution. Many have used kava together with benzos, especially while tapering (which honestly is the best time to use kava) including myself.

What dosage of klonopin are you taking, what's your taper schedule been like and what other meds are you taking.

D

Deathrydar

Today, I started on .25mg a day.
I was on 1mg 3x's a day.

Been tapering - .25mg since the start of the month. I know im going fast.....

So today is my first day of only taking .25at night. I am coming out of my skin..........:(

No other meds.

infraredz

BULA!
You're definitely going to be fine with using kava. Not to sound insensitive because I personally am feeling miserable from W/Ds, but that is a very low dose relatively.

If you haven't broken through the RT, don't go too crazy with trying to break through it too fast. If you have broken through, just keep the kava intake reasonable (no krunk) and you'll be surprised how low a dose it takes to make the W/ds exponentially better.

EDIT: Also, check out this thread: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-for-benzodiazepine-withdrawal.1586/

Last edited:
D

Deathrydar

You're definitely going to be fine with using kava. Not to sound insensitive because I personally am feeling miserable from W/Ds, but that is a very low dose relatively.

If you haven't broken through the RT, don't go too crazy with trying to break through it too fast. If you have broken through, just keep the kava intake reasonable (no krunk) and you'll be surprised how low a dose it takes to make the W/ds exponentially better.

EDIT: Also, check out this thread: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-for-benzodiazepine-withdrawal.1586/
RT?

Also do not know what krunk is.

So kava can HELP wih benzo withdrawal??????

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
RT refers to the term "Reverse Tolerance", or the effect where the kava takes a while of consuming before the beneficial effects are felt.

Krunk is the term that's been coined for being under the influence of an extremely heavy dose of kava. A general stupor that is usually followed by deep sleep afterwards.

I'll leave answer 3 to infraredz.

D

Deathrydar

In all honesty, if there was anything to be worried about, it would be reduced clearance of the klonopin due to the extensive hepatic enzyme inhibition caused by kava.
Ok...what is Extensive Hepatic Enzyme Inhibition?
It sounds scary and I can't find anything about it when I google it.... :arghh:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Have you heard about the cyp3a4 enzyme? This is one of the enzymes that eliminates most drugs from your system, and kava slows it down. Try googling "kava enzyme inhibition" or something. Many herbs and spices have this effect to varying degrees, for example turmeric, cinnamon, fennel seed, etc.

infraredz

BULA!
Ok...what is Extensive Hepatic Enzyme Inhibition?
It sounds scary and I can't find anything about it when I google it.... :arghh:
Like Piper said, there is a class of enzymes in the liver (hepatic) that metabolize various substances. There is a specific class of them which are referred to as the CYP 450 class, and within that class there are several enzymes that are very common in metabolizing (breaking down, changing, etc) drugs. Kava inhibits CYP 3A4 to a high degree according to this study: http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/30/11/1153.long

Oh, and as far as kava being used for W/Ds from benzos... It's a bit complicated. We don't exactly know how kava works (completely), but we have a good idea. You can check out the "How It Works" thread to get some idea if you are curious.

Needless to say, it helps through modulating ion channels (which have been shown to have a stabilizing psychoactive effect) as well as (my hypothesis, as well as some others) upregulating GABA receptors.

Basically, I hypothesize that the gabaergic-like effects we experience could be due to kava indirectly effecting GABA receptors by (basically) creating more, or increasing the ability of endogenous and external substances to bind to GABA receptors. For example, the tolerance/dependence we experience with drugs like benzos is caused by what's called "downregulation" of GABA receptors which (basically) means that there become less receptors on the surface of the neuron meaning that there is essentially less ability for GABA (or drugs that affect GABA, like benzos) to have any GABA-like effect.

Sorry, don't mean to over-complicate it but I wanted to try to answer your question best I could!

Feel free to add your experiences to that thread BTW!

Last edited:
D

Deathrydar

Ive learned more in these kava forums in the past week then I have in the past couple of decades everywhere else lol.