What's new

Kava and EBT (food stamps)

Palmetto

Thank God!
I recently handed out food at a homeless encampment, but I am not cool with using welfare money to buy luxuries like kava, cigarettes, alcohol, and lottery tickets. Or cell phones. I used to be semi poor. If you think providing luxuries to poor people helps them, then stay out of the way so that they don't get more hurt by the intervention.

I am not judging your previous posts. I am referring to some past experiences that preclude the idea of using dole money to pay for luxuries. I know Jimmy is a great guy who volunteers a lot to help people better themselves. And Michael, you might have good intentions also, but I don't know you personally. So please don't take this as a personal attack. Again, I apologize if this sounds judgemental.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I recently handed out food at a homeless encampment, but I am not cool with using welfare money to buy luxuries like kava, cigarettes, alcohol, and lottery tickets. Or cell phones. I used to be semi poor. If you think providing luxuries to poor people helps them, then stay out of the way so that they don't get more hurt by the intervention.

I am not judging your previous posts. I am referring to some past experiences that preclude the idea of using dole money to pay for luxuries. I know Jimmy is a great guy who volunteers a lot to help people better themselves. And Michael, you might have good intentions also, but I don't know you personally. So please don't take this as a personal attack. Again, I apologize if this sounds judgemental.
I don't live in USA so i don't have insight in how ebt works. Except for some written informations in stores. The problem i see is that you can't use ebt when mailordering kava. And then it becomes a privilige for those people who has access to grocery stores that sells kava.

Palmetto

Thank God!
In most of the US, kava is not available locally (I wish it were). Mail order is the primary source of kava. There is a garbage "tea" that says it contains kava that can be found in grocery stores, but it is worthless and tastes nasty.
I don't live in USA so i don't have insight in how ebt works. Except for some written informations in stores. The problem i see is that you can't use ebt when mailordering kava. And then it becomes a privilige for those people who has access to grocery stores that sells kava.