What's new

Kava and eye health

Have you had symptoms in your eyes from drinking kava, such as clogged pores or styes or eye-crust?

• Yes

• No

• I can't see well enough to read the question, I'm so gunked up.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Had an eye exam today, first one since I started drinking kava.

I need new glasses, because....... my eyesight improved. A lot. Could be as a result of the kava, could be the weight loss..... My eye doc is from Hawaii so she is pretty cool about it.

But my ducts are clogged and so she says I should do the warm compresses and massage every day and break up those clogged pores and they probably won't develop into styes.

I did not expect my eyesight to improve. Anyone else have that happen?

But anyway, if you're on KavaForums reading this, then you probably drink kava enough that you need to do the eye compresses regularly, as well, and by regularly that's like once or twice a day. Just do it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Had an eye exam today, first one since I started drinking kava.

I need new glasses, because....... my eyesight improved. A lot. Could be as a result of the kava, could be the weight loss..... My eye doc is from Hawaii so she is pretty cool about it.

But my ducts are clogged and so she says I should do the warm compresses and massage every day and break up those clogged pores and they probably won't develop into styes.

I did not expect my eyesight to improve. Anyone else have that happen?

But anyway, if you're on KavaForums reading this, then you probably drink kava enough that you need to do the eye compresses regularly, as well, and by regularly that's like once or twice a day. Just do it.
I no longer wear contacts for this exact reason. My eye doc told me the same thing. I was having styes on a semi-weekly basis before I swapped to all glasses.

Edit for clarity: I was also drinking HKC - Tuday kava like a fool during this time as well.

verticity

I'm interested in things
This is weird. I have pretty severe myopia, so I have very strong prescription glasses. Thank goodness for low index plastic, otherwise I would look like Bubbles from TPB. Anyway, last year, after a few years of regular kava drinking, and after skipping one of my usual annual optometrist appointments, I started having problems focusing on things. I just thought my prescription needed to be adjusted, as throughout my life my myopia has gradually been getting worse. But when I saw the optometrist, she told me that the reason I was having problems was that my vision had in fact improved, and that my prescription was too strong. So I got a weaker prescription, and while I was waiting for it to be ready found that I could actually see pretty well with my old glasses that I had saved from a number of years ago. The doc told me that this improvement actually happens oftentimes as people age: as your lenses harden the farsightedness starts to cancel out the nearsightedness, so I just chalked it up to being 50ish. But now I wonder if drinking tons of kava could have something to do with it also.. I dunno, I'm probably just getting old... :unsure:

I have had occasional problems with clogged pores in my eyelids the past few years, which likely is caused by kava, since that never happened before. I find that cleaning my lids with Ocusoft pads can be very helpful to clear that up, and to prevent it.

Jobeo

Kava Curious
Yes I experience these troubles. Eye doc said stand under hot water in shower and rub eyes for 1 minute.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I voted yes, but it only emerged after a couple years of drinking strong daily doses of dry kava, with no eye hygiene. Hot water compress definitely helps, preventatively and during a stye. Another good trick is swiping your eyelids with 'Wet Ones' wet-wipes occasionally, or when you have a stye and using Murine Bright and Clear eye drops occasionally, or when you have a stye.

Don't use them regularly unless you're treating a stye or the suspected onset of one. Do use hot water to deliberately clean eyelids as frequently as you want.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I've awoken in the middle of many nights unable to see clearly on my way to the bathroom for the 10th time in 4 hours. I feel like I often have styes threatening me and my eyes are definitely a lot more dry overnight. It feels like my eyelids are glued to my eyeballs. Anyone think it's worse from heavy or heady, micro or medium? I really got into GHK's micro Boroguru and that's when I started having all kinds of fun side effects.

Jobeo

Kava Curious
I really got into GHK's micro Boroguru and that's when I started having all kinds of fun side effects.
is a good question. has anyone had persistent eye problems but not drank GHK micro in say, the last 6 months?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
is a good question. has anyone had persistent eye problems but not drank GHK micro in say, the last 6 months?
For me it's heavy consumption and I can definitely see Micro causing more problems with heavy use. Any type of kava can give me dermo, if I overdo it and it usually around my eyes to start and if I insist on drinking more, it will spread to the rest of my body. Lately, I just take a break for a couple days, when I notice signs like dry or itchy eyes.

Crunked

Proselytizer
My morning eye-care routine is to wet the eyes and apply some 'no tears' baby shampoo to my fingertips and work up a lather. Then I massage the lather into my eyelids (eyes closed of course). I leave the lather for one minute and then give the eyes a good rinse. I haven't had any eye problems since I started this routine.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that after the cleaning I add a couple of lubricating eye drops to each eye.

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I voted no but I have experienced dryness before and one occasion that was probably a clogged pore but I didn't really pay much attention

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My morning eye-care routine is to wet the eyes and apply some 'no tears' baby shampoo to my fingertips and work up a lather. Then I massage the lather into my eyelids (eyes closed of course). I leave the lather for one minute and then give the eyes a good rinse. I haven't had any eye problems since I started this routine.
Excellent!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I had an episode of blepharitis which is odd lumps and dryness. Any eye drops with benzelkonium chloride in them will kill the staphylcoccus bacteria and help a lot with anything like that. Ongoing I don't really have a problem. I'm convinced the coconut oil capsules help with that too.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Follow up: well, I got my new glasses and yes, my prescription had change da lot and I can see clearly now. So odd, that I couldn't see well because my vision had improved. To be honest I had thought vision problems were a side effect of the kava and figured it was something I had to put up with. I have no idea if the kava had any effect on my eyesight in improving it or if that's just old age or weight loss or some combination of the three. All are possible, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.