What's new

Kava and ginger beer?

C

chickenpins

Hey guys,

I made some kava tonight... I blended kava root powder and coconut water, with some lecithin, coconut cream and a touch of cocoa powder. I then strained and tried it. it was pretty gross, kind of like a kava milkshake, and really heavy on the stomach. Odd, since I didn't use milk, only coconut water with a dash of coconut cream. I think I need to go more refreshing, less milkshake-like. Can I blend and and strain kava and ginger beer together? What about kava and apple juice, with some ice cubes added at the end? I need it cooler, and more fruity or refreshing than tonight's awful concoction!

Thanks!

D

Deleted User01

Chickenpins, those are my thoughts exactly. I'm editing our recipe book and there will be 3 types of concoctions, Heavy (Smoothie), Light and Refreshing, and Coffee Drinks. Here is my recommendation. First off, you have to use instant or a mellow tasting kava, I have yet to try my recipes on the peppery piney ones yet. Make your Kava with some water and coconut water, forget the cream. Chill the Kava. Now dump Kava or instant in a glass. Add the ginger beer (it better not have alcohol). Taste test. Maybe add a squeeze of lime or lemon. Taste test again. Add ice and forget about it. We are aiming for a sipping Kava and trying to eliminate the "chug the kava and wash your mouth" routine.

If you can't get the taste right, then look to add some frozen fruit juice concentrate (flavor of your choice). Maybe start with one tablespoon and go from there. Be sure to put the can of frozen concentrate in a zip lock bag and put it back in the freezer so you can reuse it.

Please repost your results and tell us what kind of Kava you used.

C

chickenpins

Will do, thanks Deleted User01! I need to get some instant kava ASAP! Unfortunately, not so easy in Australia.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I love sipping a ginger beer after a shell. I'll just chug the 4-6oz shell then get a good swig of ginger beer. Cleans the palate from the bitter taste and also just adds a little something to the experience. Think it's the ginger spiciness that complements the peppery taste of the kava. Can't go wrong with Reeds Extra Ginger. The Extra is what counts! They also have chewy ginger candies that are the best! Haven't tried actually squeezing kava in the ginger beer i'm sure that would be a different experience altogether.

Attachments