What's new

Kava and gout

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone on the forum get occasional gout flares and have any theories about how kava may influence flare-ups?

I get it in my big toe about every 6 months, and think that the dehydration element of regular kava drinking may be a factor in bringing it on.
In 2018 I had 6 months in Santo, drinking every night, and had gout in my toe for most of that time, although I did not know it was gout then, and put the pain down to a fracture after accidentally kicking some concrete really hard. As soon as I left Santo and went back to inferior dry kava, the gout went away.
More recently this month I had a flare-up after a few weeks of drinking more kava than usual each night, and at a time where I am being otherwise much healthier than usual, with lots of exercise and a good diet. I stopped kava for a couple of days and the swelling & pain went away. I then started kava again, and it came back next day.

I would have expected the well documented anti-inflammatory quality of kava to help with gout symptoms/pain, but I guess it is about finding a balance between having the benefit of this quality without experiencing too much dehydration.

Anyway - it would be interesting to hear from others who have been drinking kava regularly for a while and have this occasional affliction.