What's new

Kava and Prednisone

Hi Everyone,

I was just given a bout of Prednisone (10mg 3x a day) and am wondering if I am still able to consume kava while taking it? I had an allergic reaction to Clorahexadine at the red cross when donating blood that has been a nightmare that Benadryl and cortisone cream have not been helping. I want this thing gone but I know Prednisone is a nightmare. Are there any interactions I should be aware of? For reference, I usually drink about 12g in an alluball in the morning, and 14g in the alluball at night. I haven't taken the Prednisone yet but am about to, and am skipping my morning kava just to be safe, but would really like to still have my nighttime batch as its one of the only things that can actually calm my anxiety.

Thanks!

mlenny

Kava Curious
Should be totally fine. Kava doesn't act on glucocorticoid receptors or block 3A4. I take 9 medications and drink kava and I'm still alive, if that makes you feel any better.

Matthew

Should be totally fine. Kava doesn't act on glucocorticoid receptors or block 3A4. I take 9 medications and drink kava and I'm still alive, if that makes you feel any better.

Matthew
Awesome, thank you! I had just some last night and not any yesterday morning and it didn't seem to cause any issues. Going to have a little bit of probably instant here in a few min and hoping it goes fine. The rash is already going down a bit just from one day of the treatment, hoping I don't need the full 7 days they gave me. Looking forward to having my morning shell again today

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Completely safe. A lot of people get prescribed a benzo with steroids because they go completely batshit crazy otherwise. I unfortunately am one of those people.
Since kava can work even better than benzos, I'd say it's safe.

Completely safe. A lot of people get prescribed a benzo with steroids because they go completely batshit crazy otherwise. I unfortunately am one of those people.
Since kava can work even better than benzos, I'd say it's safe.
I had to stop taking it after 2 days and switch to a cream. It made me the most moody terrible person to be around, and it just made me so mentally unstable and depressed its not even funny. I'm convinced that stuff is straight poison. Never again. But to the topic of the post, can confirm, kava did not cause any issues and was the only thing that kept me halfway sane during that episode.

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Oh God, yeah, Prednisone turns me into a psychotic monster, literally, I become the Hulk. I get angry at everything, one time I even broke someone's window, for no reason. I mean, they were awful people but still... I was so unhinged. I have to be prescribed benzos if I'm on prednisone to stop myself from going bonkers. A lot of people have this issue. Meanwhile, some people get euphoria and infinite energy. The first time I took it at 18 that was my experience, not anymore. I feel like kava would help calm you down like a benzo would. 12-14g are very low doses for medium grind, I usually shoot for 40. About to do another 20 I think, vibing pretty good.

It's not poison, it's just steroids, and steroids really fuck with your emotions. One of the most annoying things for me with it is that music, everything, sounds lower pitched, out of tune. I had to download songs and raise the pitch in Sony Vegas whenever I was on it.