What's new

Kava And Prozac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hey guys, I realize that probably none of you are doctors or medical professionals, but a buddy of mine that has severe anxiety and panic attacks like myself came over to hang out the other day and told me all about how he's been on Prozac for a little over half a year now and I guess it's really helped him a lot...

I fucking hate meds, and I really wanna do everything in my power to avoid being on them because I was on a few different kinds when I was younger when all of this anxiety bullshit started happening... However it was worth noting that he said he can't even remember the last time he had an attack while on this drug, so idk I figured I would ask you guys if you think I could still take kava while on this stuff...

I've made up my mind yet, and honestly, I really don't wanna be on Prozac. It IS an antidepressant, so maybe it'll be more compatible with the kavalactones as opposed to a benzo, but I just figured I'd bring it up here on the forum and see what you guys had to say...

Kava does help with my anxiety. Problem is, I don't make a lot of money and it can kind of be pricey for me. I can't have it in my system every day because of this. If you want good shit like GHK or Paradise Kava, and you buy regularly, then you better have some dough to throw around. I will be getting a new job soon next month though so hey I guess that should help.

Anyway thanks for hearing me out guys. Still struggling with this anxiety... It's been getting worse and it's leading to depression.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Prozac is an SSRI, which I believe are warned against consuming with kava. The generic Prozac is cheap with insurance. If your insured you can check the cost of meds with your provider before you are prescribed.

I believe it's really not a recommended mix. I never had any luck with ssri's at all for depression/ anxiety, but kava feels like the ssri's did to me.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
It's not reccomended for sedation which if you look up that stuff everything under the book is not reccomended for sedation not taking in account the real effects

D

Deleted User01

Until the health care world allows kava under health insurance, then everyone is doomed to meds. Everyone but me of course. :D I still get my Xanax but I give it away to those who don't know about Kava. Best I can do until the world changes. In my day we would chant, "The Whole World Sucks, The Whole World Sucks", a little inclusive if I do say so myself but there is some truth in it.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
There's nothing wrong with being on an anti-depressant and/or anxiety med. In layman's terms, they are supplementing and/or regulating what your body needs (neurotransmitters) to function or think properly. It's not unreasonable to view these meds as being no different than a diabetic who needs insulin. Finding the right med or dosage is the tricky part and most have many side effects that the process is very frustrating and in some cases, never realized. Understanding and coming to terms with depression and anxiety being 'physical' in nature, provides reassurance that help or relief is also available through alternative sources. Many people will jog, run, or walk because exercise triggers your body to naturally produce serotonin and endorphins, which feel good and can relax you. Kava is another great alternative. Unfortunately, the exact science of how it impacts the transmitters of the brain is still not well understood. More research is needed. Big Pharma has not helped the process which I'm not sure will change anytime soon. Even if it doesn't, those of us who have discovered the wonderful anti-depressant and anti-anxiety properties of kava will be forever greatful. It truly is an amazing plant with very little side effects. There's also the bonus of having many strains to choose from, all of which impact our brain chemistry differently. Some are better than others for anxiety and/or depression.

I would recommend trying a few different strains, perhaps a sample pack, until you find the type of kava that best work for you. I also don't see any problem with taking an SSRI or any of the newer anti-depressants together with kava. Your body will tell you what's not working and whether you should stop. As long as you don't overdo it and stick to noble varieties, you'll be fine taking both. I would talk to your doctor and tell them your plans. Having routine blood work is also a great way to monitor whether your having any problems with consumption, not that I believe there will be. On a personal level, I have been taking kava almost every day for over two years. I also take Cymbalta, an anti-depressant mostly for arthritis pain. I routinely have my blood work checked and have had no problems whatsoever with taking both together. Cholesterol, liver enzymes, and blood pressure are all in check.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I say do what you have to do to stay out of the pit. Scripts aren't always the devil. It's just the way they are handed out willy nilly to kids and the way it's ingrained in our culture that's a problem. If you need something to stay afloat find something. Any port in a storm my friend. Best of luck to you!

I wouldn't mix them either. It sounds like you are pretty attuned to your mental state so you could keep trying with kava but if it's not working it's not working.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure a comparison to insulin is accurate, we know chemically what insulin does, and with most AD meds they don't have a clue. I agree the biggest issue if you're going to take such drugs is to achieve some sort of balance. Too often the people I talk to describe a never-ending spiral of changed dosage and meds, addition of anti-seizure drugs, drastic mood swings, etc. I personally know of only two people who have successfully maintained both the same med and the same dose for longer than one year - and I have talked with hundreds. Compared to kava, that's a pretty poor showing.
^^^ This is exactly why I am so wary of meds... Once you go down the rabbit hole it's like there's no turning back.

I think that maybe I just need to take good, quality kava 5 days a week for about a year, and maybe it will have changed my brain chemistry by then in conjunction with meditation, exercise, and exposure therapy. Also, I plan on looking into virtual reality therapy as well to help me get over my panic attacks and more importantly, the fear of actually having them...

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I'm very familiar with fluoxetine and my personal physiology. I took a low dose (10-20 mg) of it for years, as a teen until I just quit taking it. It's been on the market since the early 80's, I believe. That's a long time in the A-D world.

Personally with mixing any two substances, I used to always start low with dosages until I knew there weren't any undesirable multiplicative effects.

To be frank, back then it would have been easier to write a list of what drugs I didn't mix with prozac, than the other way around. Be safe!

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure a comparison to insulin is accurate, we know chemically what insulin does, and with most AD meds they don't have a clue.
To be fair, I think we have a better understanding of many SSRI's physiochemical effects than we do of kava, especially since kava is a cocktail of different chemicals.

Kava can be awesome, and I'm grateful that it helped me stop drinking to excess like an idiot. But, antidepressants are an incredibly valuable tool for many, many people. If you find a good psychiatrist who listens to you and is active in your treatment, you could find a medication (or combination of medications) that really helps you. (CBT can help, too.)

It's easy to focus on the negatives--I've been there. But, don't let them keep you from feeling happy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.