What's new

Kava and supplements for stomach

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I've had some issues with wheat intolerance for quite a while now which can result in a lot of discomfort and fatigue. I do have a sensitive stomach to other foods as well. Ive been drinking Kava and while I dont feel it is directly causing any stomach issues, im not sure it is really helping, maybe it is just putting extra strain on my stomach that is sensitive already. Does anybody know of good supplements/foods to take to offset and negatives of the Kava? So far I've thought of just staying more hydrated, and eating lighter meals.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey everyone,

I've had some issues with wheat intolerance for quite a while now which can result in a lot of discomfort and fatigue. I do have a sensitive stomach to other foods as well. Ive been drinking Kava and while I dont feel it is directly causing any stomach issues, im not sure it is really helping, maybe it is just putting extra strain on my stomach that is sensitive already. Does anybody know of good supplements/foods to take to offset and negatives of the Kava? So far I've thought of just staying more hydrated, and eating lighter meals.
Some have indicated that using beano, that has an enzyme that helps break down complex sugars to simple sugars, has helped.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Do you mean with Kava? If so try enzymes like Papaya Enzymes or even just having some freshly made papaya juice with your Kava. In general, look into Saccharomyces Boulardii a probiotic yeast that they actually gave me when I had a terrible stomach infection in the hospital and a general probiotic from Jarrow Formulas. Kava is rough on the stomach I always get naucious.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
With it or without really. Thanks for the recommendation, i look into those. Papaya might just do the trick

FYS

Shell Shocked
IIRC papaya enzymes are proteolytic enzymes similar to proteases like bromelain commonly found in pineapple and other species in the bromeliacae family. While they do aid in digestion somewhat its mostly in the breaking down of proteins.

There are quite a few things that help with digestive issues. C. acuminata has been chewed before meals in western Africa for many centuries as a digestive aid. E. cardamomum combined with F. vulgare also has a long history of use as both a digestive aid and to settle the stomach. Others include M. oleifera, A. Lappa, N. Sativa, N. Spinosa, both Andean species of Ephedraceae, P. Boldus is a two-fer as it also promotes liver health and has been in use for around 13k years in parts of Chile, T. minuta is a popular Andean digestive aid.

Many species in the genus Peperomia promote digestive health including P. Pellucida which also has analgesic, antifungal, and antiinflammatory properties and broad spectrum antibiotic actions. Note: be wary of extracts of this plant as they contain higher amounts of it's diazepine-like psychoactive compounds.

As far as probiotics go I would personally recommend against them and instead recommend opting for foods that offer them naturally. Pretty much any ferment is going to work well and there is the added bonus of also being digestive aids. Lacto-fermented pickling is super easy and can be done on pretty much whatever you'd like. Alliums, ocimums, and origanums are also great. L. plantarum has significant antioxidant activities and also helps to maintain the intestinal permeability. It is able to suppress the growth of gas producing bacterium in the intestines and may have benefit in some patients who suffer from IBS. Lactic acid bacteria are little powerhouses that can easily be made into a nice drink, used to control smells in your garbage can, added to your dog's water, and is also great for plants. Vid here: I hope that helps some.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Cool, thanks so much for all this info! I havent heard of lots of these plants but ill check them out. Ive heard before that fermented foods are better than probiotics, ill give that a shot. And what an awesome channel that guy has