What's new

Kava: before or after brushing teeth?

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Okay, this is probably a major first world problem that many kava drinkers face today. :cry:
I don't know about you, but I can't seem to find the best solution for me when it's time for my pre-bed kava.

If I drink kava prior to brushing and flossing my teeth(what people normally do), the whole experience gets 'killed' by this act. Brushing and flossing my teeth is a 'rather serious matter' and requires a bit of motivation - it's not something that my relaxed, sedated and unmotivated kava-mindset prefer. When I'm drinking kava, I just wanna go straight to bed without ruining the experience.

On the other hand, when I brush my teeth BEFORE drinking kava, I don't think it's a good idea for dental pruposes. The kava-fluids so to speak 'sticks into every corner of my teeth and stays there the whole night' :eek: This can maybe lead to different oral-illnesses long term (just thinking out loud).

So I would like to hear your guys' opinion on this matter. What do you do?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I brush my teeth after kava, and you're right, it's a bit more tedious and difficult when you're all rooted up. However, you're also right about drinking after you brush your teeth. The kava would wash away the fluoride.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I know what you mean. After a night of kava drinking, I really don't feel like brushing my teeth. There is a certain amount of gagging involved, as well as the laziness induced by the kava. Someone needs to invent an additive that you could put in your kava drink that would simultaneously have the effect of cleaning your teeth, so that you wouldn't have to brush. Kava does kind of taste like toothpaste anyway (with a major tone of goat)

blindy107

Kava Lover
If you want to brush before kava just swish water around your mouth before bed. Solids are a bigger enemy on your teeth overnight than liquids.

KavaCat

Meow.
I think it would depend on frequency. I wouldn't drink kava after my toothbrushing on a daily, but once in a while, I wouldn't worry about. Maybe you could compromise: Get a thorough teeth brushing beforehand, then give your mouth just a quick, lazy little scrub after, and a good long rinse.