What's new

Kava-bucha

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I started brewing kombucha recently, and a few days ago while bottling next week's batch, I decided to take the plunge and make a kava kombucha. After filling up most of a bottle, I added .75 tablespoons of micro Moi, .75 tablespoons of micro Papa Kea, sassafras (I know that it might be bad to drink a lot of sassafras, but I rarely do), fresh ginger, hop pellets, and honey--basically, root beer (yes, yes, lame joke). It sat in secondary fermentation for about 2 1/2 days.

Before filtering, it looked exactly like grog. I sniffed it for scary smells, and then strained it through a few kneading bags to get the large particles before running it through an Aeropress s-filter. What came out on the other side looked like an unfiltered wheat beer, but brighter yellow. The first bit I strained wasn't too cloudy, but as I got through the last of it, it became more and more opaque. Some of that was definitely sediment, but much of it was made up of tiny, oily bubbles. I'm guessing that this was a combination of safrole and kavalactones, but I'm no scientist.

I drank it about 45 minutes ago, and it's probably not any stronger than drinking straight micro, but it definitely isn't any weaker. Plus, it actually tasted pretty good.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
that's cool as sh!t. let us know how it goes with further drinking. i also make kombucha but i tend to add herbs that have a more stimulating effect: guayusa, yerba mate, catuaba, gingko, etc

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
Will do! I only did a pint bottle this time because I was worried it would turn out horrible. Next time, I think I'll go a little spicier with a cinnamon stick. I'm pretty sure I won't even taste the kava at that point.