What's new

Kava Census 2015 Results

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Okay, hot off the press, here is the results for the Kava Census 2015.

http://bit.ly/kava-census-2015-results

Location data forthcoming.

It ran from 4/28/2015 to 6/22/2015. There were 167 responses, well over double the last census.

The average age of forums posters is 35.7.
Most people didn't answer these questions, so this is a fairly small sample size, but:
Average tablespoon/serving: 3.6
Average tablespoon/day: 8
Average instant tablespoon/day: 2.7
Average grams/serving: 32

If you're wondering why the results took so long, it was because I had to remove a bunch of test responses I put in, and some duplicate submissions from people. Because Google Forms literally has no way to delete responses, I had to write a bunch of code with their Script API and blah blah blah blah. It was a lot like replumbing your house so you can take a dump.

Anyway, my immediate thoughts:
- We have outgrown Google Forms. We could use a richer bank of question types and resulting charts.
- Did not have a great response rate on the questions that required entering a number as an answer.
- I regret not asking some questions about "bed lock" or next day effects.
- I am still the only person in the world who makes kava with a rolling pin. Maybe I'll make a video tomorrow.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
...I had to write a bunch of code with their Script API and blah blah blah blah. It was a lot like replumbing your house so you can take a dump....
Ahem. Yes Google Forms certainly sounds cumbersome. What is the online survey software equivalent of just going out in the back yard? How about Survey Monkey? I don't really know anything about it, but it's the one I've heard of..

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I honestly haven't looked at anything else, and I've really lost my stomach for dealing with it so unless anyone else wants to take over census duties, I'll leave it off till next year.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Very interesting results. Thanks for the hard work @kavadude. The male/female ratio unfortunately reinforces the impression that it is a bit of a sausage fest in here--

verticity

I'm interested in things
But are we doing all we can to welcome them and not scare them away? I'm not saying we're not or that we are scary. It could just be because seemingly women are more reluctant to participate on any Internet forum.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Ya I don't see my wifu hanging out here. Not her personality. She prefers to wash dishes, clean house, mow the grass, change the oil, you know things women like to do...

(Disclaimer: the above was a joke and she gave me only one black eye from it...)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I mean, we do post some pretty jocular stupid shit from time to time, but all in all I think this is probably one of the most welcoming forums on the internet. I'd guess 20% probably tracks pretty well with certain younger internet forums. Reddit went from like 90% in 2011 to 60% in 2013.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I mean, we do post some pretty jocular stupid shit from time to time, but all in all I think this is probably one of the most welcoming forums on the internet. I'd guess 20% probably tracks pretty well with certain younger internet forums. Reddit went from like 90% in 2011 to 60% in 2013.
Poll question: 1) What is your gender? 2) Are you offended by jocular stupid shit, in moderation?
The results of such a poll are not immediately obvious. To presume a correlation between 1 and 2 would be... a presumption.
There is jocular stupid shit, sure, but there really isn't sexist shit, correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm not female so I really have nothing useful to say about what it might be like for females here lol.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Reading that was just cool!.. I did find it interesting about the male to female ratio but who knows !. Maybe there's more absurd shit being talked about because we're mainly male! Lmao.