What's new

Kava cost per serving?

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Being in the uk kava has been prohibitively expensive to get here.

Global kava exports seems to work out not too bad once I have factored in the price per 50 grams compared to others. It was just daunting at first to see they only start at £30 odd.

Anyhow from what you guys say a moderate session would be around 25 grams is that right but more like 50+ from what i hear alot of people say? From my past tries when id only buy 50 grams I know I wouldnt use a whole 50 in a day. so if 250 grams is £28 then it works out at around £3 per session which would last me a whole day or at least 4-6 hours? Is that right.

Trying to figure out if it will be economically viable.

Krat costs about £7 for 25 grams and it takes around 3.5 grams for a good effect which lasts all day. So that is 7 doses divided by the cost which = £1 per dose. That is 3 times cheaper than kava.

Anyway it is kind of irrelevant cos krat alone isnt working for me any more so different strokes for different substances but i find it useful to make economical comparisons :) since im always trying to pinch the pennies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Looking on GKE's (Kava Europe) site, the current price for, for example Tanna Marang-Marang is
250 g - €38.99
500 g - €63.99
1 kg - €94.99
That means if you buy 1 kg, you save €60.97 over the 250 g size: a pretty good savings.
1 kg would give you 20 servings of 50 g at €4.75 (£3.39) per serving, or 40 servings of 25 g, at €2.37 (£1.69) per serving

(Note 50 grams would be a huge "serving": I would call that about 4 shells or servings)

Geiourht

Kava Curious
What is most peoples average serving size per session? My main issue with kava is it doesnt last long meaning constant redosing, so how many grams for say a good 6 hours of effects. I know they say some of the lactones last 9 hours but form my expeirence 1 hour is about as long as any appreciable effect lasts. but i never used a scale to measure so unsure how much id use.

verticity

I'm interested in things
What is most peoples average serving size per session? My main issue with kava is it doesnt last long meaning constant redosing, so how many grams for say a good 6 hours of effects. I know they say some of the lactones last 9 hours but form my expeirence 1 hour is about as long as any appreciable effect lasts. but i never used a scale to measure so unsure how much id use.
In my experience, the duration of acute subjective effects is 2-6 hours depending on the variety. But you probably don't really need or want to be "krunked" all day. There is a significant "tail" after the acute effects wear off--including reduced anxiety, feeling of well being, that can last into the following day if you use it at night.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I've been drinking daily with a week off here and there for 4 months. I've felt krunked a few times and felt euphoric a few times. But it doesn't seem to last in that I use the same dosage and nothing happens. I'll come clean and say that as I knew I had the afternoon off today I decided to do a way bigger dose than usual to see if I could get more of an affect. I did 50grams of Mahakea and 50grams of Malekula Magic (from GKE) mixed in a nylon sock in 900ml of water, kneaded for 20mins - strained using a Nut Milk Bag then blended with a lot of honey and berries - felt nothing. So did a further 40 grams of Kaolik (from GKE) and am left with nausea and a headache. I know since I started to use Kava I can sleep but am I missing the subtle way it works? Most people on here would never use these amounts and I won't again as it didn't do anything and probably isn't safe but it is expensive and I don't understand why sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't. Am I diluting it with the honey and berries? I take my hat off to anyone who drinks it straight - I just can't take the taste. Maybe I should do my kneading in just the Nut Milk Bag I use for straining after I've done my kneading prep in the nylon sock? Any helpful / sharing of experience would be much appreciated.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've been drinking daily with a week off here and there for 4 months. I've felt krunked a few times and felt euphoric a few times. But it doesn't seem to last in that I use the same dosage and nothing happens. I'll come clean and say that as I knew I had the afternoon off today I decided to do a way bigger dose than usual to see if I could get more of an affect. I did 50grams of Mahakea and 50grams of Malekula Magic (from GKE) mixed in a nylon sock in 900ml of water, kneaded for 20mins - strained using a Nut Milk Bag then blended with a lot of honey and berries - felt nothing. So did a further 40 grams of Kaolik (from GKE) and am left with nausea and a headache. I know since I started to use Kava I can sleep but am I missing the subtle way it works? Most people on here would never use these amounts and I won't again as it didn't do anything and probably isn't safe but it is expensive and I don't understand why sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't. Am I diluting it with the honey and berries? I take my hat off to anyone who drinks it straight - I just can't take the taste. Maybe I should do my kneading in just the Nut Milk Bag I use for straining after I've done my kneading prep in the nylon sock? Any helpful / sharing of experience would be much appreciated.
140 grams (1/3 pound aka metric fucktonne) of kava kneaded for 20 minutes, drunk all at once, should completely knock you on your ass, if you will pardon the expression. Something clearly ain't right.
- Was your stomach empty?
- I get better results from spacing 8oz cups, rather than drinking a lot at once
- Try using hot water?
- When you knead are you really kneading firmly for the whole 20 minutes, or letting it sit in the water and kneading occasionally?
- Honey and berries should have no negative effect.
- It would be somewhat more potent if you just drink after kneading with nylons, rather than the second strain with the nut milk bag, but might be harder on your stomach.
- I don't know maybe you are a super heavyweight, or maybe the Kava Gods were trying to teach you a lesson.
:)
- You're Irish, right? It doesn't work like Irish whiskey. ;)

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
I did 50grams of Mahakea and 50grams of Malekula Magic (from GKE) mixed in a nylon sock in 900ml of water, kneaded for 20mins - strained using a Nut Milk Bag then blended with a lot of honey and berries - felt nothing.
Is it possible to strain the kavalactones away?

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
140 grams (1/3 pound aka metric fucktonne) of kava kneaded for 20 minutes, drunk all at once, should completely knock you on your ass, if you will pardon the expression. Something clearly ain't right.
- Was your stomach empty?
- I get better results from spacing 8oz cups, rather than drinking a lot at once
- Try using hot water?
- When you knead are you really kneading firmly for the whole 20 minutes, or letting it sit in the water and kneading occasionally?
- Honey and berries should have no negative effect.
- It would be somewhat more potent if you just drink after kneading with nylons, rather than the second strain with the nut milk bag, but might be harder on your stomach.
- I don't know maybe you are a super heavyweight, or maybe the Kava Gods were trying to teach you a lesson.
:)
- You're Irish, right? It doesn't work like Irish whiskey. ;)
Hi. I knead constantly while it's submerged in the water. I had an empty stomach. I used cold water. If I drink straight after the nylon sock kneading I'm afraid I'll make myself sick as you say. Maybe I'm a heavyweight. I have never like Irish Whiskey and I'm not looking for that affect - no way. It's very weird and I think I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps I'll try not doing the second strain in the Nut Milk Bag although when I do I get an awful lot of greasy pulp in there so not sure I want all that in my stomach.

Ps: I space my drinks at about 15 mins apart

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hi. I knead constantly while it's submerged in the water. I had an empty stomach. I used cold water. If I drink straight after the nylon sock kneading I'm afraid I'll make myself sick as you say. Maybe I'm a heavyweight. I have never like Irish Whiskey and I'm not looking for that affect - no way. It's very weird and I think I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps I'll try not doing the second strain in the Nut Milk Bag although when I do I get an awful lot of greasy pulp in there so not sure I want all that in my stomach.

Ps: I space my drinks at about 15 mins apart
Try hot water. I use the hot water from the tap (approx 120 F) and knead with gloves so I don't burn myself.
You could try one or two cups strained only by the nylon, and see how that affects you.

Sorry about the Irish whiskey crack, but I thought I remembered you were Irish and couldn't resist. Just kidding. :) Feel free to call me a Yankee Doodle Douchebag (y)

Blippy5

Certified Noble
There is a thread about doing boil prep. It's supposed to be even stronger, and worse tasting.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I noticed warm to hot definitley works better... and two things... honestly less is more may apply to more than just krat... 2 ... was it oily and did your mouth go numb ?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Is it possible to strain the kavalactones away?
Kneading separates the kavalactones and small particles, which are emulsified in the liquid, from the makas, which is what is left over in the strainer. But the finer the mesh of the strainer you use, the more that will be left behind as "makas", and thus potentially the less potent the brew, meaning you need to knead more vigorously to squeeze the KLs out the finer mesh you use.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Hey. No offence taken re the irish whiskey, it goes with the territory of being Irish. Tried what was suggested. Less is more. So did 50 grams, in hot water, kneaded in nylon sock and strained in a hobs strainer which is much coarser than the nut milk bag, put some music on and am feeling it, just relaxed and chilled. Thanks