What's new

Kava = dries your face and makes you look old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
..When I feel dehydrated, I feel lightheaded and thirsty as fuck, like when I wake up from a night of heavy drinking. I don't feel this way the day after kava-consumption - I actually feel pretty good - my face just looks kinda pale, tired and weird I think. But maybe this could be because of dehydration alone?
I'm starting to suspect that it is NOT dehydration. I know dehydration as well. Like bicycle riding in 100+F weather! It's all dry, sticky mouth, head aches, and elevated heart rate.

With some kava, I can literally feel my skin dry within an hour! Especially on my hands. And where does the fluids go? I'm not sweating. I'm not even urinating much more than usual. And I've never gotten that really yellow dehydration urine! Yeah, kinda gross..lol.

I think we may be approaching this "dryness" all wrong. There has to be something more to it. Like an upset in gland secretions or something. Or, some response like how people's fingers and toes shrivel up in the bathtub.

Interesting thing about bathtub shriveling. Research has found that people with nerve damaged fingers DON'T experience this shriveling effect.

Nova Cain

Seeking the edges
I agree with Dino... It's somerhing weirder than dehydration... I feel it too... My eyeballs feel like raisins and no matter what I do they stay like that. It would probably be awesome to treat edema or hydrocephalis or such...

verticity

I'm interested in things
I agree with Dino... It's somerhing weirder than dehydration... I feel it too... My eyeballs feel like raisins and no matter what I do they stay like that. It would probably be awesome to treat edema or hydrocephalis or such...
Yeah, I think the "dehydrating" effect of kava is probably something neurological, not simply a lack of fluids.

verticity

I'm interested in things
For instance, you can induce a "dehydrated" feeling by taking antihistamines like Benadryl or tricyclic antidepressants; No matter how much water you drink, you will feel dried out. It may be something similar with kava.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I dont necessarily feel the mental effects from dehydration with kava but the physical effects are noticeable. Kava has a very potent drying effect though, which can't be ignored in our assessment. Have you ever left your strainer out without taking the wet kava out? I use a pantyhose and in 4 hours or so it's not just dry, its stuck together and staler than a marathon runners socks left out in the sun for 2 weeks. I usually cant even get the kava out without rewetting it because it gets so rigid and crusty. It happens so fast it really is disturbing lol.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
...Have you ever left your strainer out without taking the wet kava out? I use a pantyhose and in 4 hours or so it's not just dry, its stuck together and staler than a marathon runners socks left out in the sun for 2 weeks. I usually cant even get the kava out without rewetting it because it gets so rigid and crusty. It happens so fast it really is disturbing lol.
Are you sure you're getting all the good stuff out of it? I know @Squanch72 kava feels like clay when I do a traditional prep with it. A second wash usually gets it feeling like all grit. And, the second wash is pretty potent too!

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
@verticity @dino9832 @Nova Cain

Thanks for confirming my "theory" about these things NOT being due to dehydration ;-). I think you guys are right that its maybe a neurological or maybe an auto-immune response (allergies). Anyways: Who really knows! There are so much about this root that we don't know.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Maybe the effect has something to do with the oil content of the body, vs. the water content. Kava is oil soluble, after all.
Lack of oil would have some of the similar symptoms as lack of water, but not all.

I've received some Nigella Sativa seeds in the mail and am going to add them to the tea I drink throughout the day, and especially the tea I have after a shot of kava. They are oily and are very healthy.
I saw one post here at some point about the seeds being synergistic with kava.

Bwiggy

I like plants
to follow up - I've tried Nigella Sativa a couple times after having some kava, and there's no noticeable impact.
I bought the seeds on eBay, mortar and pesteled them and put them in some tea and left them in the bottom of the cup.
Bummer.
I am making an effort to have some coconut oil every day.
That should be good for skin, as well as kill any parasites that come with the root.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
@Bwiggy, thanks for the update!
I wonder if kava would be good for someone with acne? Now there's a thought! Some people have terrible acne. It'd be interesting to see if kava might clear it up!
I need to find someone with REALLY oily skin who'd be willing to try kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.