Change background image

Kava Extract (Using Alcohol?)

Discussion in 'Kava Lounge' started by TrevC, Dec 2, 2019.

1. TrevC

TrevC Member

Most herbal extracts I've seen use some type of alcohol (cheap Vodka, etc.) in the extraction. Valerian, Poppy Seed, etc.
    But a local clinic is selling this Kava extract that uses alcohol. From the get-go, I was told Kava and alcohol do NOT mix, due to liver concerns.
    I'm attaching a picture of the bottle's label.

I spoke with the Dr. there about this and she says she has seen no elevated liver enzymes in her patients, and that the original Kava liver study was poorly done.

I had thought of trying this, as it's something we have here locally, but wanted to check with you guys first.
    Is this safe? I would like to have it on-hand for "in a pinch" situations, not for daily use.
    For daily use, I do traditional prep of medium grind dried Kava root.

Attached Files:

2. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

I think you're on the correct path. For daily use, no, I wouldn't use it. For occasional usage it likely wont cause any issues. The amount of alcohol you're consuming is on the order of 1-3ml and that's not even at 100% concentration. I think the collective wisdom about mixing alcohol and kava comes down to negative interactions, and not necessarily liver injury. It's more so related to the hives, blotches and redness that occur when one consumes kava and drinking alcohol (enough alcohol to feel) too closely together.
    TrevC likes this.
  3. TrevC

TrevC Member

Oh wow...
    Nevermind. Look at this mess right here:
    https://store.thewellnessway.com/kava-liquid-herb

THIS is what convinced me these folks are (apparently) loony:
    https://thewellnessway.com/infosheets/kava.pdf

"Kava root and kava leaves contain different elements and have different effects on the system. Kava root is what is commonly refered to as kava, while supplements from the leaves are known as kratom."

I can scarce believe someone would even WRITE that. Let alone, a "wellness" company.
    kasa_balavu and Mo'iety like this.
  4. TrevC

TrevC Member

Kapmcrunk: Thank you! I was typing my reply as you posted yours.
    I do appreciate that additional info. I'm almost still curious to try it, because the doctor tells me it is "potent".
    But seeing the company that sells the product call Kava leaves "Kratom" really leaves me feeling super not-confident in them.
    Kapmcrunk likes this.
  5. Kapmcrunk

Good God.
    kasa_balavu and Alia like this.
  6. Kapmcrunk

Yep. I 100% agree. Stay as far away from that company as possible. That's absolutely absurd.

Edit: I've sent (via the contact form on thier site) a message about that line. It's pretty easy to see why people get the two confused when vendors make accidents like that.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    kasa_balavu, Mo'iety, Alia and 2 others like this.
  7. TrevC

TrevC Member

Thank you, sir! I actually sent a screenshot of that link to the local doctor who sells this, and was about to contact the company directly when I saw your reply.
    Very good of you!
  8. verticity

verticity I'm interested in things

That web site and product is like a perfect storm of how not to sell kava: The suggested serving size would contain miniscule amounts of both kavalactones and alcohol, but in a large bottle of essentially hard liquor... plus conflating it with the other K and dubious and illegal health claims such as "Promote wound healing... aid in combating breast cancer"
    TrevC, Henry, Mo'iety and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kapmcrunk

wow, just saw that pdf. This screams someone who's jumped into the industry with no knowledge of how it actually works.
  10. Kapmcrunk

Got a response back. They seem quite interested in getting correct info up and getting the incorrect info off. It's funny, I just realized you can't even buy through their website. You have to get it through, I assume, one of their distributors that orders it for you.
    TrevC likes this.
  11. fait

fait Position 5 Hard Support

If I could thumb-up this entire thread, I would. This was a good ride and read.
    TrevC likes this.
  12. TrevC

TrevC Member

The doctor who sells this Kava extract locally is also genuinely interested in finding out what the deal is with their site description. She knows it's wrong.
    What gets me is... it's virtually impossible to get Kava anywhere around here. Except for THIS kooky product. LOL! :/

I'll stick to Amazon. In fact, I just got in my order of Loa Waka and Dua Na Bilo. :)
  13. fait

fait Position 5 Hard Support

I personally think kava education is a good thing. More doctors should learn what it is and the proper way to consume it. Prescribing medication, recommending surgery, and advising therapy is all about weighing the benefits and risks. Kava's risks and benefits should be weighed like every other cure or management of the illness. Kava is great but it's not for everybody at a given time, and the more physicians understand that, we as a kava drinking collective can move forward.
    TrevC and Kapmcrunk like this.
  14. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

Yikes. I mean I know this forum can be a bit harsh and very persnickety on vendors when it comes to kava and testing but holy hell. This is the reason we need to continue to educate. Can you imagine running a business where you are selling a product that someone consumes - and you can't even get basic facts right?
  15. Kapmcrunk

We're a tenacious bunch :)

The fact that this scenario has played out at all tells me the confounding of kava and krat is running as deep as ever. There was at least one person who seriously thought kratom came from the leaves of the kava bush. Education is a must. Issues like these make me wish I had the funds to just travel from bar to bar just to respectfully plead with them about proper education.
    TrevC likes this.