What's new

Kava for a job interview?

dustbunny237

Kava Curious
I have a couple job interviews coming up and I am considering using kava right before the interview to help with my anxiety during the interview. I've never tried any kava in a work environment setting, only as a way to relax on the weekend. Is taking kava right before an interview a good idea? I don't want to take a benzo because they are too sedating. These are technical interviews for software engineer positions so I need to be mentally sharp. The two main concerns I have are the kava interfering with my mental acuity and the possibility of looking "high" during the interview. I'm thinking about drinking fresh green kava before the interview and I will definitely test it out several days before the interview to see how it affects me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I did it today! Went okay but i just had a first date with a woman before haha so i was in a bit of a weird zone for an interview. Like _Byron said know your kava. I had a nice uplifting one but I can imagine with heavy kaava it might come across like you don't really care about the interview. A little bit ofnot caring is helpful, too much is not good

Last edited:

dustbunny237

Kava Curious
I did it today! Went okay but i just had a first date with a woman before haha so i was in a bit of a weird zone for an interview. Like _Byron said know your kava. I had a nice uplifting one but I can imagine with heavy kaava it might come across like you don't really care about the interview. A little bit ofnot caring is helpful, too much is not good
Yeah I'm going to test out some kavas and have a friend observe my behavior. Did the kava help you relax on your first date?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I would be concerned about pushing myself into nausea and then ending up more anxious. In moderation with the right kava you should be able to find a good sweet spot.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah I'm going to test out some kavas and have a friend observe my behavior. Did the kava help you relax on your first date?
Probably a good idea! At least a test of some sort would be good. Yeah it did actually. I still felt some nervousness because I didn't feel like there was much of a connection but it helped me push through that which was nice and maybe made more of a connetion in the end.

OwenShang

Kava Curious
"I have done three job interview with kava and have gotten offers on all three of them. Make sure you know your kava and how it will react to you. It is very helpful on appearing relaxed and confident."
It's official, Kava gives you the job. Haha!

coffeenz

I have a couple job interviews coming up and I am considering using kava right before the interview to help with my anxiety during the interview. I've never tried any kava in a work environment setting, only as a way to relax on the weekend. Is taking kava right before an interview a good idea? I don't want to take a benzo because they are too sedating. These are technical interviews for software engineer positions so I need to be mentally sharp. The two main concerns I have are the kava interfering with my mental acuity and the possibility of looking "high" during the interview. I'm thinking about drinking fresh green kava before the interview and I will definitely test it out several days before the interview to see how it affects me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)
Sorry this is a very late reply - but did you end up doing this? I'm considering doing the same for an upcoming interview (software dev as well). I'm planning to do a trial run and recording myself to see how I go beforehand though.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Sorry this is a very late reply - but did you end up doing this? I'm considering doing the same for an upcoming interview (software dev as well). I'm planning to do a trial run and recording myself to see how I go beforehand though.
Definitely know your kava (batch/strain) before you do this and lowball.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
I would be concerned about pushing myself into nausea and then ending up more anxious. In moderation with the right kava you should be able to find a good sweet spot.
I have every confidence that too much Boroguru leading into dry retching during an interview will only show my dedication to implementing a good mindset for this job.

coffeenz

Definitely know your kava (batch/strain) before you do this and lowball.
Thank you! Tried yesterday with 3 tbsp - but felt only a very subtle effect (normally use 4 tbsp). I think I'll decide on the day whether to use or not - I feel as though I speak a lot clearer when I take kava. Sometimes I tend to get a dry mouth (despite drinking plenty of water) and have trouble speaking clearly - never have that with kava. The strain I have at the moment is melo melo.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
If you brew 3 Tablespoons or four traditional prep, medium grind kava, and drink all of it, that's a strong shell or a couple regular shells. That may be fine if you drink kava often. When I have a job interview, I want to make sure I can quickly transition, say from one room to another or between multiple people. The employers want someone fast. They probably don't want you on substances that speed you up, from experience and from reading, a little anxiety is not a bad thing during an interview. Have a few questions loaded in your mind about scheduling, availability, job duties, how long the business has been open, seasonal business, anything to fill in an extended awkward silence. A little space between dialogue is nice for it too. It's a two way interview, you are also interviewing the employer to see if the new job may be a fit for you.

About kava, I honestly think it's okay to have some before an interview. You may want to eat as well, since sometimes you end up waiting. Maybe even bring a book and some lunch for afterwards. I bring water everywhere, with this as no exception. Kava is fantastic after an interview. I'm not sure how long I typically wait after I land on a new job to begin bringing in kava to drink at the end of my shift, could be up to a whole month, eventually nonetheless I let my intention be known by example that having a jar of brown root water at the end of my day is a routine, and it is generally accepted. So long as you don't get tired during the interview you should be good to go!