What's new

Kava for College Students

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It is. I wish it tasted better, but I think the social aspect of it could be pretty fun if you planned it right.
I'd never heard of it until a month or so ago. I was in college a lonnggg time ago, though. It was all about drinking back then. I went to a Jesuit school, so drinking was part of the culture. Drugs were a non-issue.
Some people become acclimated to the flavor and some even enjoy it. That can take time, although some take to it very quickly. Some kavas taste better than others so if that is an issue you could choose the tastier ones.

love2driveinct

Kava Enthusiast
Some people become acclimated to the flavor and some even enjoy it. That can take time, although some take to it very quickly. Some kavas taste better than others so if that is an issue you could choose the tastier ones.
I look forward to trying many different varieties.
I will say that this morning's cup of instant was... unpleasant. Since it was much stronger (2 TBS in 6oz of water, versus the 2 TSP I'd been doing before), I needed to chase every couple of sips with a sip of coconut milk. It was fine, though, nothing I can't handle. It might take some convincing with the daughter. Maybe I will look into some of the mixer recipes and try a few.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
She much prefers Mary to alcohol. She very rarely drinks because she hates the taste and the way it makes her feel. On the one hand, I feel like she is picking the lesser of two evils. In my opinion, alcohol is one of the things that is ruining our society, but that is another discussion. However, like your friend, she is psychologically addicted and making herself unhealthy. And spending hundreds of MY dollars every month so they can hang out. She uses it to help her with anxiety, but as I mentioned, I think it's actually made it worse over time. And now she's made her whole social world revolve around Mary and fears what a life without her would be like... all new friends? Starting over? That thought terrifies her even more. I am a staunch advocate for Mary when she is truly helping the right person with the right condition -- but I do feel it's a dangerously slippery slope for many, especially the young whose frontal lobes are not yet finished being developed and decision-making is not at its best.
Yeah. Like I said, I haven't touched the stuff in 15 years and don't plan to; but I remember it having distinct body effects when I was 14 that it didn't have when I 'relapsed' for a bit (for lack of a better word) right after high school [most of my (teenage) kava drinking was between the two periods with MJ; and when I parted with MJ the last time, I parted with kava too, just for good measure, even though it had never caused me any problems]. I have often wondered if the difference in effect could have been because of the stage of my brain development.

Last edited:

Stonth

Kava Curious
Gotcha, can't hurt to have her try it. If she can get a few people together to do it as a social event it would provide an even better support system for switching. If the group she hangs out regularly smokes, then I would think they would have no problem getting them to try a kava night instead.
Lol. If she and her friends are anything like me and my friends that's not gonna happen.

Also, I don't smoke weed outside of when I hang out with friends likely due to kava, but I never smoked much before either.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Lol. If she and her friends are anything like me and my friends that's not gonna happen.

Also, I don't smoke weed outside of when I hang out with friends likely due to kava, but I never smoked much before either.
Fair enough. I just remember in my college days me and my friends were open to and tried many psychoactive substances along with MJ. If we knew about kava in those days it would not have taken much, if any, convincing, to have a kava night to try it out. Then again none of us were 100% daily users of MJ.