What's new

Kava in blender?

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
So, I read some prep methods before mixing up my first batch.

The smell of this Vanuatu 3 out of the bag is a very slight earthy odor, sort of like ground yucca root.

I'm too anxious , so Instead of asking the wife for some hose, I took a shortcut. Not sure if I am doing a bad thing, but I put it in my nutribullet for about 3 minutes. 4 tbsl and 16 oz warm water. After that it was about the consistency of a not too thick milk shake. So I strained it through my coffee maker filter, which seems too fine, because it took a while using the pestle from my mortar and pestle to get much of it through. There's very little fine sediment in my cup. I added a little ginger and honey. The taste is not good, but it's not horrible either. It's giving me a sort of numb like feeling in my mouth.

Well, I think I'm going to ask the wife for some hose now, because I can see how much better that will be than this coffee filter...

How much is a good amount to drink the first try? I know about the reverse tolerance. Will drinking more in one sitting hasten that, or is it just a matter of time?

Ok, adding to the story. I went to ask my wife for some hose and she instead went to the kitchen and handed me this long cloth type strainer on a wooden handle. She told me what the name of it was, but the word was Portuguese, so I'm not really sure what the English word is, I'll look it up later, but it worked a zillion times better than the coffee filter. It's long like a sock, and about the consistency of hose, or maybe a fine aquarium net so squeezing is easy. She uses it to strain some of the herbal teas and concoctions she makes, and sometimes she does coffee a way that uses it. She actually jumped in and helped me and was sort of curious about the Kava because she doesn't know it.

So, anyway, after 3 times through the nutribullet and strain, all I had left looked like a wad of clay. I think I got all I could out of it. I'm on my 3rd little cup and I definitely feel something off of it, but not sure how to describe at this point. It's mild, but there is definitely something both mental and body.

Oh, other question .... how should one store a plastic baggie full of Kava powder? Should I put it in the fridge, or just room temp?

Thanks to everyone who have answered my questions and been too nice to a noob, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
using 4 tbsp, id say you could easily drink half of it all and then wait 15 min and drink the other half. you could probably even drink it all at once, especially since it's van3 and you also strained through a coffee filter. numbness is a good sign.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
using 4 tbsp, id say you could easily drink half of it all and then wait 15 min and drink the other half. you could probably even drink it all at once, especially since it's van3 and you also strained through a coffee filter. numbness is a good sign.
Well, I drank it all. What I feel is a sort of heady feeling, not unpleasant but not euphoric, sort of just there ... and I still have that sort of numb feeling in my mouth/face, though it's faded now. I do feel a little bit of a sort of muscle relaxation, but it is very, very mild, almost not detectable. The feeling is mostly in my head.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try not to drive you guys too crazy out here with my noobness, but I tend to analyze or over analyze, everything. It really drives my wife nuts at times, I know, but I can't help it, it's just me.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I personally love hearing it, so no worries from me.

I don't have a specific link at hand. But if you look around, you will find out some good stuff about Kava is an analgesic which causes the mouth to go numb. It can also cause your stomach to go numb too, which sometimes causes nausea from it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Van3 is typically a very light heady kava...not much body action to notice. You're probably gonna have to deal with reverse tolerance, but if you're curious, you could easily make another batch and drink it. Kava doesn't have a crazy scary dosage curve or anything...it's really forgiving, especially light heady strains. When you try heavier strains, you will probably find the sedation and body relaxation a bit easier to notice.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Van3 is typically a very light heady kava...not much body action to notice. You're probably gonna have to deal with reverse tolerance, but if you're curious, you could easily make another batch and drink it. Kava doesn't have a crazy scary dosage curve or anything...it's really forgiving, especially light heady strains. When you try heavier strains, you will probably find the sedation and body relaxation a bit easier to notice.
Yeah, this is extremely mild. But maybe will be better once reverse tolerance kicks in. I'm looking at ordering some of the Koniak from Bula Kava House. Sounds like that is fairly strong. Or maybe something else of strong reputation, I'm still looking around and reading.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I personally love hearing it, so no worries from me.

I don't have a specific link at hand. But if you look around, you will find out some good stuff about Kava is an analgesic which causes the mouth to go numb. It can also cause your stomach to go numb too, which sometimes causes nausea from it.
Thanks. The nausea part is why I added ginger, which works well for me if I have nausea for whatever reason. So I thought I might as well add some just in case. Also seemed to help with the taste. Last cup, I added some milk also, which made it taste not too bad at all.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I'd definitely get Boroguru to get a feel for how nice the other side of the spectrum can be...especially once you're past RT.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I'd definitely get Boroguru to get a feel for how nice the other side of the spectrum can be...especially once you're past RT.
Ok, thanks for the tip. I'm going to try my best to drink my way out of this RT thing over the next several days. In the meantime, I'll order some of that. The little heady feeling I felt after first drinking tonight's batch, is pretty much gone already. I feel pretty calm and relaxed. But if it's from the Kava or not, it's just too mild to really tell.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ok, thanks for the tip. I'm going to try my best to drink my way out of this RT thing over the next several days. In the meantime, I'll order some of that. The little heady feeling I felt after first drinking tonight's batch, is pretty much gone already. I feel pretty calm and relaxed. But if it's from the Kava or not, it's just too mild to really tell.
Women's Stockings (y) Mr. Coffee Paper Filters (n) Those will block the Kavatones your wanting.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Women's Stockings (y) Mr. Coffee Paper Filters (n) Those will block the Kavatones your wanting.
I would never use Mr. Coffee paper filters, since I wouldn't get caught dead with a Mr. Coffee machine in my kitchen, ;). I have a BUNN machine, but I don't use the paper filters, I have a perma-filter. But the thing is micro fine, so obviously was a bad choice. I need to try the hose method to see how it compares with the strainer my wife gave me.

Thanks for that tip, HeadHodge, even with the strainer that is better than my coffee filter, I am getting very little solid grounds or residue in the mix, it's pretty clean, so maybe I am still filtering it too much.

I ordered some Boroguru from Bula Kava House, and it already shipped, so I'm excited to try something maybe stronger.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I would never use Mr. Coffee paper filters, since I wouldn't get caught dead with a Mr. Coffee machine in my kitchen, ;). I have a BUNN machine, but I don't use the paper filters, I have a perma-filter. But the thing is micro fine, so obviously was a bad choice. I need to try the hose method to see how it compares with the strainer my wife gave me.

Thanks for that tip, HeadHodge, even with the strainer that is better than my coffee filter, I am getting very little solid grounds or residue in the mix, it's pretty clean, so maybe I am still filtering it too much.

I ordered some Boroguru from Bula Kava House, and it already shipped, so I'm excited to try something maybe stronger.
Glad to hear it was your wife who gave you those!! :D

Many people "second wash" their Kava (me included). Meaning when your done, take the thing you strain with and put in a little fresh water and knead it some more in the fresh water. It will help "clean" the filter and grab even more of those precious Kavatones, we all want and need. Then take the results from that and combine with your original bowl. I recommend not using too much water in your second wash, so you don't end up diluting your first.