What's new

Kava In The Year ''1777'': Coconut Milk and Kava A coincidence ??

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
Hey guys, so i found this info..

This is the first time ive heard of the  traditional people using coconut milk.. Everybody has told me: NAHHH, they dont use coconut milk in the traditional recipe, they only use water.. Well, Information from The Year '1777' says otherwise.. Take a Read.

=A description of the classic process of Kava Kava preparation was given in 1777 by George Forster, a young naturalist on Captain James Cook's second Pacific voyage:

[Kava] is made in the most disgustful manner that can be imagined, from the juice contained in the roots of a species of pepper-tree. This root is cut small, and the pieces chewed by several people, who spit the macerated mass into a bowl, where some water (milk) of coconuts is poured upon it.

They then strain it through a quantity of fibers of coconuts, squeezing the chips, till all their juices mix with the coconut-milk; and the whole liquor is decanted into another bowl. They swallow this nauseous stuff as fast as possible; and some old topers value themselves on being able to empty a great number of bowls.

Ive seen this on various goverment sites, so it is reliable.

So it seems that Coconut Milk was used with kava about 250 years ago.

Was it a coincidence or did they know that it potentiated the effects.

The Source of My Info :

http://www.herballegacy.com/Wolsey_History.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045554/

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
that's cool, I enjoy reading the writings of early explorers.I'm guessing that if they were indeed using the milk of a coconut (not the water) and they were also using it to potentiate the effects (ive also heard the saliva from chewing did that too) it was probably just a happy accident. Just like i've heard about the discovery of kava itself.

kl.sakamoto

Kava Curious
keeron said:
... some old topers value themselves on being able to empty a great number of bowls...

I love that word "topers." 

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, "toper (n.) ... from tope!, exclamation used in drinking (1650s), from French or Italian, originally a word of acceptance in a wager, etc."

Analogous to... "bula!"?