What's new

Kava legality in France

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Hey folks,

I'm spending a month in Paris, and the legality of kava in France seems murky. I'm thinking of bringing a 1/2 lb of micro in my luggage, but I won't do it if it's illegal. Anyone have any good intel on French laws surrounding possession / import of kava? Thanks!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Hey folks,

I'm spending a month in Paris, and the legality of kava in France seems murky. I'm thinking of bringing a 1/2 lb of micro in my luggage, but I won't do it if it's illegal. Anyone have any good intel on French laws surrounding possession / import of kava? Thanks!
It should be fine. Kava is very popular and legal in New Caledonia which is a colony of France.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It should be fine. Kava is very popular and legal in New Caledonia which is a colony of France.

well, it is a territoire d'outre-mer, as opposed to a department d'outre-mer, so it is more like a colony than the departments, but it still is not really a colony, per se. I suppose the analogy would be to Alaska and Hawaii, which are like department d'outre-mer, actual states in the US, those of France would include Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion, Mayotte and French Guiana. But Nouvelle Caledonie is more for France like the equivalent of American Samoa for the US, or the Northern Marianas or Guam. Oh, and the Virgin Islands.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
well, it is a territoire d'outre-mer, as opposed to a department d'outre-mer, so it is more like a colony than the departments, but it still is not really a colony, per se. I suppose the analogy would be to Alaska and Hawaii, which are like department d'outre-mer, actual states in the US, those of France would include Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion, Mayotte and French Guiana. But Nouvelle Caledonie is more for France like the equivalent of American Samoa for the US, or the Northern Marianas or Guam. Oh, and the Virgin Islands.
Hmm..it's a colony - both 'overseas territory' and ' overseas department' fall within the definition of 'colony'. Lots of white french people with Kanak housemaids, pastries flown in from the motherland 20,000km away, Renault & Citroen olbaot...
If they get Independence following the vote later this year though, they will have to start learning Mandarin like the rest of Melanesia.

Back to the OP though, New Cal was the first significant customer for Vanuatu kava export back in the 80's, so those French certainly have a taste for it. They had 'fancy' kava bars with tables, chairs and toilet paper before anyone else too, much to the scorn of their ni-Van cousins across the channel

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've posted kava to France and it's been delivered with no problems but that's under plain package.