What's new

Kava Preparation Kava Prep Using Centrifugal Separation

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Last year I bought a sonic cleaner to experiment as a kava extraction device. I haven't really done much with it but now I'm getting the itch to play with it. In my constant quest to be as lazy as I possibly can be, I devised an (untested) way to prep my kava. Here are the steps to do so:

Step 1:

The theory behind the sonic cleaner is that sonic waves in a liquid will cause vibrations that will pound and heat the liquid with sonic bubbles forcing the kava to give up its stored kava lactones.

So pour 16oz of bottled water into the sonic cleaner along with 1/2 cup of your favorite kava. Then run the cleaner for 30 minutes or more as needed.
Step 2:
When step one is done you end up with a grog that still has the kava solids mixed in it (unfiltered). So it necessary to somehow filter the grog to remove the solids.

I was pondering how best to do this, then it occurred to me that maybe I could use the same techniques I use at our little Oregon cabin where I have to collect and filter surface water form a stream for our drinking water. The basic steps of my self made system involve water collection, pressurization, treatment, and filtration.
So in the same vein as my little cabin's water system.....

Connect a 5gpm 45psi water pump to the drain spout of the sonic cleaner.
Step 3:
Connect a standard centrifugal water separation filter to the output of the water pump.
Connect a hose to the output of the filter and lay the other end into a jug for collection
Step 4:
Turn pump on until sonic tub is drained and jug is full. Then drain the solids collected in the centrifugal filter and toss.

Step 5:

Stick jug in fridge for an hour or more the BULA time!!!

PARTS LIST:

Sonic Cleaner approx $40

5 gallon per minute 40psi water pump approx $60

Standard centrifugal separation water filter approx $80
(Note: I believe the filter removes solids down to about 10 microns or less)

Bwiggy

I like plants
Wow. I love the idea. I also have a very serious sonic cleaner ($70 on eBay). I just use a nut filter after the timing is up. BTW, I have to watch the temperature. At 30 minutes, it can get up there. 40 - 50 degrees C.
After the sonicification process the mix is thin for me. Maybe that's my ratio or maybe its the blend.
I noticed the Nambawan is thicker than anything I've ever tried.
Anyway, generally, filtering with a nut bag is usually pretty fast.

D

Deleted User01

I don't believe you Hedgie, that looks like a bread maker to me. :D Anyway, I'm going to try my Centrifugal Molecule Separator. Yeah, I get strong as crap Tudei Kava, it separates the Tudei Molecules and leaves me with pure kick ass, teeth rattling, .... Oh, there's a butterfly. I think I'll follow him home ...:love:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I don't believe you Hedgie, that looks like a bread maker to me. :D Anyway, I'm going to try my Centrifugal Molecule Separator. Yeah, I get strong as crap Tudei Kava, it separates the Tudei Molecules and leaves me with pure kick ass, teeth rattling, .... Oh, there's a butterfly. I think I'll follow him home ...:love:
I think you've got this confused with my patent pending Noble to Tudei converter.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I think you've got this confused with my patent pending Noble to Tudei converter.
If all you want is less kavain and a higher proportion of heavy kavalactones, then you can use ascorbic acid. I personally think that its presence in Kalm's concentrate probably explains why it feels more sedating than their other products.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That looks pretty cool, bad enough most of my money already goes to kava, I wouldn't be able to swing that setup.
I have to stick to the ole strainer and salad bow. :)

Curious, did you notice any increase in efficacy?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
That looks pretty cool, bad enough most of my money already goes to kava, I wouldn't be able to swing that setup.
I have to stick to the ole strainer and salad bow. :)

Curious, did you notice any increase in efficacy?
You should ask @Bwiggy, she is the only one that has actually used one so far.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
If all you want is less kavain and a higher proportion of heavy kavalactones, then you can use ascorbic acid. I personally think that its presence in Kalm's concentrate probably explains why it feels more sedating than their other products.
Here is how my Noble to Tudei converter works:

You send me 1lb of Noble and I return 1lb of Tudei. :)
Works really well.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Here is how my Noble to Tudei converter works:

You send me 1lb of Noble and I return 1lb of Tudei. :)
Works really well.
:) But I am serious. Mixing kava with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) produces a much heavier chemotype without increasing fkb, etc. Doesn't it sound like something you might be interested in exploring?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
:) But I am serious. Mixing kava with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) produces a much heavier chemotype without increasing fkb, etc. Doesn't it sound like something you might be interested in exploring?
sure, I thought you were jesting because @Deleted User01 seems to think my extraction technique somehow involves tudei (which it doesn't)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I seem to remember that sonic cleaners can also be used to make liquid vitamin C and @violet as other uses for it as well.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
sure, I thought you were jesting because @Deleted User01 seems to think my extraction technique somehow involves tudei (which it doesn't)
Nope. This was actually noted by Lebot (and better explained by @verticity):

Mixing them together. Ascorbic acid is a reducing agent. That means it can turn a double bond into a single bond, among other things. So theoretically it could actually change one of the double bonds in kavain into a single bond, giving DHK, or Methysticin into DHM. (And yes kavain is "double-bonded", and DHK is "single-bonded", not the other way around) It could also possibly attack the double bond on the lactone ring, and turn the molecule into something that is not a kavalactone (in other words, it could destroy it)

Now, how efficient these reactions might be, I actually have no idea: it might convert and/or destroy all, or some, or a tiny amount of the kavain, depending on various factors.

Reference from Lebot:
View attachment 5841

violet

Do all things with love
I am most interested in testing out the bioavailability of kava processed into a liposomal fluid, which can be done with an ultrasonic bath. It is commonly done now with vitamin c, turmeric, and various other plant medicines to drastically increase absorption. Unfortunately I can't make that a priority right now, but it is surely the next great kitchen experiment on the list.