What's new

Kava Preparation Kava Prep Using Centrifugal Separation

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Last year I bought a sonic cleaner to experiment as a kava extraction device. I haven't really done much with it but now I'm getting the itch to play with it. In my constant quest to be as lazy as I possibly can be, I devised an (untested) way to prep my kava. Here are the steps to do so:

Step 1:

The theory behind the sonic cleaner is that sonic waves in a liquid will cause vibrations that will pound and heat the liquid with sonic bubbles forcing the kava to give up its stored kava lactones.

So pour 16oz of bottled water into the sonic cleaner along with 1/2 cup of your favorite kava. Then run the cleaner for 30 minutes or more as needed.
Step 2:
When step one is done you end up with a grog that still has the kava solids mixed in it (unfiltered). So it necessary to somehow filter the grog to remove the solids.

I was pondering how best to do this, then it occurred to me that maybe I could use the same techniques I use at our little Oregon cabin where I have to collect and filter surface water form a stream for our drinking water. The basic steps of my self made system involve water collection, pressurization, treatment, and filtration.
So in the same vein as my little cabin's water system.....

Connect a 5gpm 45psi water pump to the drain spout of the sonic cleaner.
Step 3:
Connect a standard centrifugal water separation filter to the output of the water pump.
Connect a hose to the output of the filter and lay the other end into a jug for collection
Step 4:
Turn pump on until sonic tub is drained and jug is full. Then drain the solids collected in the centrifugal filter and toss.

Step 5:

Stick jug in fridge for an hour or more the BULA time!!!

PARTS LIST:

Sonic Cleaner approx $40

5 gallon per minute 40psi water pump approx $60

Standard centrifugal separation water filter approx $80
(Note: I believe the filter removes solids down to about 10 microns or less)

Holy *CRAP*!!!

Your stated intent was to find an easier way to make grog due to being "lazy".

What's quicker and easier, scoop, dunk, knead for 10 min, or this Rube Goldberg apparatus,
which according to your outlined process, takes a good hour or more, then clean everything up, etc.?

:) Just sayin'.

Now I would freely admit your high tech method is WAY cooler to watch and work with!! It is fun
to watch machines do stuff for us.

D

Deleted User01

Holy *CRAP*!!!
What's quicker and easier, scoop, dunk, knead for 10 min, or this Rube Goldberg apparatus,
which according to your outlined process, takes a good hour or more, then clean everything up, etc.?
:) Just sayin'. Now I would freely admit your high tech method is WAY cooler to watch and work with!! It is fun
@VictoryRider, I think all the great ones (Edison, Tesla, Aluball) started off with a Rube Goldberg apparatus. And luckily, that had a ton of time to burn in their "early formative" years. So keep at it @HeadHodge. :LOL:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Holy *CRAP*!!!

:) Just sayin'.

Now I would freely admit your high tech method is WAY cooler to watch and work with!! It is fun
Yeah I kinda didn't say that the real objective is to find a more efficient extraction technique. I'm working with @verticity to determine if a NIS Spectrometer could be used to measure kava lactones so I can compare the efficiency of sonic extraction vs traditional prep. If it works I would ultimately like to make my own instant with it. That's where the lazy part comes in (using my own Instant). Sorry I didn't explain that very well.

Wait till you see how I'll make the instant!! :)
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/homemade-instant-kava-construction.688/