What's new

Kava Physiology Kava reduce occurrence of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's?

drbinxy

Kava Curious
This is taken directly from the wikipedia article on Monoamine oxidase B: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_B

"Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease are both associated with elevated levels of MAO-B in the brain. The normal activity of MAO-B creates reactive oxygen species, which directly damage cells. MAO-B levels have been found to increase with age, suggesting a role in natural age related cognitive decline and the increased likelihood of developing neurological diseases later in life. More active polymorphisms of the MAOB gene have been linked to negative emotionality, and suspected as an underlying factor in depression. Activity of MAO-B has also been shown to play a role in stress-induced cardiac damage."

Ok, so now take that Desmethoxyyangonin (one of the kavalactones found in kava) is a scientifically proven reversible MAO-B inhibitor (meaning it prevents MAO-B from doing it's normal functions for a short while).

Wouldn't this mean that regular drinkers of kava would be at less risk of developing these diseases? Taken from the evidence above it's essentially a given that the stress-induced cardiac damage would be reduced with lower levels of MAO-B. However, would it also mean that kava drinkers are less likely to get Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and age related cognitive decline?

It's seeming like all the more reason to drink more kava to me.

Here's another link to a scientific study using kava for you science types out there: http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/33/10/1555.full

mjazzguitar

Kava Curious
I saw that they obtained their extracts from Chromadex.
I downloaded the catalogue, but didn't see any prices. I assume they are probably prohibitive, anyway.
Thanks for that link, drbinxy. My father had Alzheimer's and sometimes I worry that I might wind up with it.

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
A second step, albeit a crude one for the more armchair scientist than anything, might be seeing if there is any anthropological data regarding dementia and Alzheimer's rates in Oceania, or specifically Fiji or Vanautu, compared to the rates in the developed world or perhaps other island nations who do not use kava. Crude of course because there are a million other variables that could explain a positive/negative difference before kava is singled out. But hey, I love kava and I don't mind pinning any positive effects on my grog!