What's new

Kava Starter Kit Recommendation

stealth17

I recently discovered the world of kava and have been purchasing Kava Kava root powder from the local co-op. I'm looking for a starter kit as I don't have the proper strainer and thought the shells would be great for the experience. After searching these forums a bit I've learned about vendors to use and vendors to stay away from. That being said, would this BKH kit be a good starting point? http://www.bulakavahouse.com/products/borogo-kava-ceremony-kit
I think borogu is a good choice for me as I'm looking for something "heavy."

Thanks!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I recently discovered the world of kava and have been purchasing Kava Kava root powder from the local co-op. I'm looking for a starter kit as I don't have the proper strainer and thought the shells would be great for the experience. After searching these forums a bit I've learned about vendors to use and vendors to stay away from. That being said, would this BKH kit be a good starting point? http://www.bulakavahouse.com/products/borogo-kava-ceremony-kit
I think borogu is a good choice for me as I'm looking for something "heavy."

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums!!

That would work, but my starter kit would be:

1 pair of panty hose with the waist cut off to leave only the feet plus maybe an extra 6 inches of the leg
1 bowl the size that you would mix cake or pancake batter in (guessing around 4 quarts maybe)
1 six pack or more of bottled water

That's it

Put some kava in the stocking. Make sure the open end is twisted closed. Pour a bottle of water in the bowl. Place stocking with kava in the bowl (holding onto the open end with one hand) and then continuously and vigorously squeeze and knead the stocking (with the other hand) for about 10 min. or until it doesn't feel oily.

Take the leftovers inside the stocking and toss, then rinse out the stocking so you can use again later.
Refrigerate the resulting brown liquid in the bowl then drink. You don't need to refrigerate but I think it makes it more drinkable.

That's just to get you started. After that you can look into better (more expensive strainers) like a good nut milk bag or some other type. Then you can start to learn how to do more exotic things like blending and second washes later.

Last edited: