What's new

Kava + stimulant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatKavaGirl

Kava Curious
Is it safe to take Kava if you're on a stimulant?

I take Vyvanse for ADD. I wouldn't necessarily take them at the same time, but is there any harm drinking Kava at the end of a long day? I take my Vyvanse in the morning.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Kava stays in your system longer than you would think. Lots of meds don't react with kava at all so you could be fine but definitely check it out. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I did a search including checking for interactions on drugs.com. It didn't show any interactions. However, kava is used by a small number of people where these types of prescription drugs are available, so it's possible that there's just not been enough people having an adverse reaction with this combo to notice. If your doctor isn't against herbal supplements in general, I would suggest talking with them. You could always give kava a chance and watch for any side effects, if you feel comfortable doing so.

ThatKavaGirl

Kava Curious
I've taken Kava pills (that you buy in a drugstore) with no issues, but just ordered some micronized from KWK. I know it will be much stronger.

GreasyNegus

This is a dangerous combination. Kava inhibits MAO-B, which breaks down amphetamine. The problem is, it's not just a slight pleasant increase in effects, it causes an extreme increase in blood pressure and can potentially kill you. I tried it before and It didn't kill me, but I did feel slightly uncomfortable.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I'd think it'd be safe on different days also, but I wouldn't mix them together. For some reason I think mixing kava with amphetamine could cause a dangerous increase in heart rate.

ThatKavaGirl

Kava Curious
I agree. I think I'll stick to just drinking Kava on my off days when I don't take my stimulant... Just to be on the safe side. :) Thanks for all the replies.

ondance-a-tron

Kava Curious
Idk, but kava inhibits liver enzymes, similar to what grapefruit does I believe. I say start out small if you want to be cautious and don't take your meds at the same time or shortly after a session. Side note: I do know from personal experience that another stimulant- caffeine, really screws me up if I consume it after kava.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Some of us were talking recently about Coffee + Kava and reported that it makes us feel weird. When I drank the two together, I just felt very restless. It was a combination of feeling anxious plus a bit of a brain fog.

Ask your Doctor. There's nothing wrong or shady about consuming Kava, so you shouldn't feel bad about asking him.

Last edited:

boxcar beatnik

Kava Enthusiast
I would be super careful with that. Kava exaggerates the effects of caffeine GREATLY. I know vyvanse and caffeine ate two completely different chemicals but there had been threads about stimulant exaggeration by kava on the forum. To me it seems like small amounts of kava doesn't do it but if you get rooted/krunk it'll do it for a couple days.i believe that I've read that labs had a mild maoi effect which could be dangerous to mix with stimulants or ssri medication

maelstrom

Kava Curious
I would be super careful with that. Kava exaggerates the effects of caffeine GREATLY. I know vyvanse and caffeine ate two completely different chemicals but there had been threads about stimulant exaggeration by kava on the forum. To me it seems like small amounts of kava doesn't do it but if you get rooted/krunk it'll do it for a couple days.i believe that I've read that labs had a mild maoi effect which could be dangerous to mix with stimulants or ssri medication
People metabolize caffeine differently because of genetics. Plus kava and caffeine are both such weak MAOIs that combining them isn't worrisome. But a prescription stimulant? Yeah, I'd be hesitant.

boxcar beatnik

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah i can see that. But i think if you overdo it with the kava it can begin to get a little stronger with the inhibition. There is a leafy herb that i notice it really intensifies if You drink a lot of kava the night before
People metabolize caffeine differently because of genetics. Plus kava and caffeine are both such weak MAOIs that combining them isn't worrisome. But a prescription stimulant? Yeah, I'd be hesitant.

ThatKavaGirl

Kava Curious
I should be good as long as I only drink Kava on my off days... I think. I won't t drink any Kava within 24 hours of taking my medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.